Initial setup of C1 without display

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Initial setup of C1 without display

Unread postby rohithdaka » Sun May 03, 2015 4:29 am

Hi,

It looks like all C1s must be hooked up to a hdmi display initially to setup certain things (like ip addresses, hostname and various house keeping stuff). I have a tricky situation, the place where I have HDMI TV access doesn't have the local private wifi network on which I plan to operate my C1s (another lab).

I am wondering if there is a better solution to do the initial setup of C1. I don't need display at all in my project. I just need the raw power of C1 and GPIO interface. Could someone help answer the following questions?

1) Is there a way to connect the HDMI to my laptop ( I have both windows 7 and ubuntu 12.04 LTS) to see the display of C1 on my laptop? After connecting to wifi and configuring hostname, I can happily ssh to C1 through wifi network and work on the project.

or

2) Is there a way to configure C1 using usb or ethernet (right out of the box after booting up with SD card) from another ubuntu or windows machine?

or

3) Is there a way to have a static ip address to C1 over wired network ? If yes, I can setup such network in another lab where I have HDMI display access. Later, in my work lab, I can just connect my laptop through ethernet. I can access C1 from my laptop since C1's ip is already known. Configure C1 to connect to private wifi network. Disconnect ethernet. Now I can use ip over wifi to ssh to C1.

or

4) is there a way to run a dhcp server on my laptop that can assign an ip to C1 over ethernet? , using which I can access C1, configure C1 to connect to private wifi network, disconnect ethernet, use ip from wifi to ssh.

All I need to do is to connect to private wifi network in my lab. I don't have HDMI display to do the initial housekeeping tasks on C1 in the lab where I have to work. I am looking for a scalable solution that I can use on the go with just my laptop, C1 and any peripheral devices, wires that I can carry in my bag :)
rohithdaka

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Re: Initial setup of C1 without display

Unread postby odroid » Sun May 03, 2015 1:24 pm

1. HDMI port on the Laptop should be an output only. So you can't use it for ODROID.
2. The gadget drivers should be loaded manually.

Refer this link first.
viewtopic.php?f=116&t=12324
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby patoberli » Sun May 03, 2015 5:57 pm

Buy a small 7-10" hdmi screen, that way you can hook it up onsite and configure everything and take it back once you are done. Also very useful in case of troubleshooting.
3&4 are a yes.
-
pato
patoberli

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1 with RTC, Bluetooth 4.0, Wireless stick 4.0

Unread postby umiddelb » Sun May 03, 2015 11:23 pm

rohithdaka wrote:Hi,

It looks like all C1s must be hooked up to a hdmi display initially to setup certain things (like ip addresses, hostname and various house keeping stuff). I have a tricky situation, the place where I have HDMI TV access doesn't have the local private wifi network on which I plan to operate my C1s (another lab).

I am wondering if there is a better solution to do the initial setup of C1. I don't need display at all in my project. I just need the raw power of C1 and GPIO interface.

Serial access works out of the box (ttyS0), but you need a serial adapter cable (UART 3,3V Molex -> RS232 5V or USB).
umiddelb

languages_spoken: English, German
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby sc754 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:52 pm

I setup my C1 headless by plugging it into the ethernet port of my router, finding the ip from my routers webpage and then logging in from my laptop to the C1 via ssh on the default port using the ip I found. From there I then setup my wifi adapter and extended the filesystem etc, even installed lxde and xrdp so I can have a desktop if I want. Not sure if this is what you want.

I did not plug mine into a display or have to get a keyboard or mouse or anything. Just Odroid, sd card with ubuntu, power and ethernet cable.
sc754

Unread postby rohithdaka » Wed May 06, 2015 10:18 am

Thank you for the suggestions.

I am using a combination of 3 and what a sc754 suggested. It works. Really appreciate your help :)
rohithdaka

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby deepmind » Sat May 12, 2018 11:36 am

headless install.
i flashed ubuntu mate 18.04
then connected my ethernet to router.
used avanced ip scanner to find the ip of odroid on my network
used putty to ssh in to ip address of odroid, that i obtained from avanced ip scanner
then resized my root partition

to see the memory info:
df -h (disk free) (human readable)
or
free -g (free space)(in GB)

then to resize:

sudo -s

apt-get update

wget -O /usr/local/bin/odroid-utility.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mdrjr ... utility.sh

chmod +x /usr/local/bin/odroid-utility.sh

reboot

then check df -h again
deepmind

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat May 12, 2018 8:38 pm

What 18.04 image for c1 are you referring to? I thought there was none officially available yet
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Return to Ubuntu