Raspberry PI 2 vs. Odroid C1 tests

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Raspberry PI 2 vs. Odroid C1 tests

Unread postby OverSun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:09 am

Just got RPi2 and C1 delivered at the same day.
Going to film for you guys time to boot, time to desktop and OpenELEC performance.
Just drop here other ideas if you have, the filming will take one day or two.

Odroird C1 is on eMMC, RPi is on MMC.

1. Here are boot to console and boot to X11 tests:

Infographic for various tests:

http://habrastorage.org/files/b69/4d3/6a4/b694d36a480d4626adc9c85438d9cb01.jpg
Last edited by OverSun on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 10 times in total.
OverSun

languages_spoken: english

Re: Raspberry PI 2 vs. Odroid C1 trailer teaser announce

Unread postby robroy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:16 am

Maybe some CPU benchmarks too :)
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)
robroy

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread postby Pakiek » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:43 am

Cant wait to see your result! i have both on commande!
Pakiek

languages_spoken: french
ODROIDs: c1

Unread postby meveric » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:27 am

how about some timing tests..
like compiling SDL2 on both devices with time and -j5 to see how them perform side by side?
glmark2-es2 performance test?
It's said the I/O of the RPi2 should be slow, how about hdparm, or better
Code: Select all
pv /dev/zero > test.txt
and
pv /dev/urandom > test.txt
last one could test how fast the random number generator is.
And then the other direction
pv test.txt > /dev/null
to see how fast it really reads.
for fun you can do
pv /dev/zero > /dev/null
as well.. kinda testing RAM/CPU

Not sure if it's worth it but maybe PPSSPPSDL performance? (please don't use Tekken6 if you do :D)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby orlexy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:29 am

ethernet speed (speedtest.net), play blue ray remux(1080p >20GB file), compiling program, copy file in to RPi/C1, read file from RPi/C1
orlexy

languages_spoken: russian, ukrainian
ODROIDs: C1+
С2

Unread postby OverSun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:31 am

That's like a full day of testing, hopefully I have my weekends free...

Tell me this, C1 on EMMC or MMC? RPi is obviously MMC, and it is significantly slower, so should I make them even, or since C1 can do EMMC why should I border it?..
OverSun

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:34 am

meveric wrote:glmark2-es2 performance test?

Yes, please be sure to include that!

[spoiler alert: the Pi cant run it. It has to be modified to to properly init the broadcom egl system] :mrgreen:
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby OverSun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:14 am

Huh, no OpenELEC right now, it doesn't even boot on RPi2.
OverSun

Unread postby meveric » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:52 am

OverSun wrote:Huh, no OpenELEC right now, it doesn't even boot on RPi2.

I remember there was one guy on the forum that was complaining over the C1, that how it could be that such a device does NOT support OpenELEC ;)
OverSun wrote:That's like a full day of testing, hopefully I have my weekends free...

Tell me this, C1 on EMMC or MMC? RPi is obviously MMC, and it is significantly slower, so should I make them even, or since C1 can do EMMC why should I border it?..

Let's try to be fair and compare MMC, since it will show what the bus is actually capable of. That eMMC is out performing MMC is a given, but how good is a MMC with UHS 1 support against one that does not support this?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby OverSun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:09 am

So I filmed boot to console and boot to X right now, everything else is mostly doesn't make sense - for RPi only raspbian is bootable and all you can do there is browse the internet. Not XBMC, no glmark, there is mostly nothing.
I'll try to edit them to add one aside each other to compare.

PS. I don't have mouse with a cord to test internet browsing, it's a pain to open all this windows and navigate with keyboard.
OverSun

Re: Raspberry PI 2 vs. Odroid C1 tests

Unread postby orlexy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:39 am

Why you use eMMC on C1? Insert MicroSD to C1 - so be honest.
orlexy

languages_spoken: russian, ukrainian
ODROIDs: C1+
С2

Unread postby memeka » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:51 am

there is an openlec image for the rpi2. and zalaare made one for C1.
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby memeka » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:56 am

orlexy wrote:Why you use eMMC on C1? Insert MicroSD to C1 - so be honest.

depends what you want to compare.
do you want to compare cortex a5 with cortex a9, mali with video-core, sandisk sd-card with samsung sd-card, or do you want to compare rpi2 with c1?

rpi2 vs c1 should take into account what the boards offer. c1 has eMMC, so compare with eMMC. it's not HK's fault rpi2 has no emmc.
rpi2 has a custom LXDE to make it faster, and you can see it's much lighter than the LXDE on C1 - the mouse on C1 appears first (so X11 loaded faster), but the entire desktop loaded slower (because lxde on rpi was modified to be faster). i don;t complain about that ... it's the effort put by rpi2 community in making in faster. so i find it fair to use emmc as well on c1.
memeka

Unread postby streetboy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:04 am

Do you mean the RPI2 LXDE doesn't use the Metacity? Sorry for my off topic.
streetboy

ODROIDs: ODROID-X,U2,XU3-Lite
C1, XU4

Unread postby memeka » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:36 am

I think they use openbox
i am not sure if there is 2d acceleration on rpi
memeka

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:38 am

OverSun wrote:for RPi only raspbian is bootable and all you can do there is browse the internet. Not XBMC, no glmark, there is mostly nothing.

Then I guess Odroid-C1 wins!
:lol:
crashoverride

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:41 am

memeka wrote:i am not sure if there is 2d acceleration on rpi

There is pseudo 2d acceleration. Their framebuffer driver is modified to support a custom IOCTL to perform blits with a DMA copy. The support is baked into the stock fbturbo driver they use for X11.
crashoverride

Unread postby schnip » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Please run Unixbench for both systems. Also please bench with an sd card and ideally make an additional run with emmc. Thank you very much for this thread :)
schnip

ODROIDs: U3

Unread postby OverSun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:32 pm

I'm going to do all requested tests this weekends. Stay tuned.
OverSun

Unread postby streetboy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:36 pm

I've really loved your XBMC knowledge and effort for a couple of years.
But this big match broadcasting is much more exciting. :twisted: :mrgreen:
streetboy

C1, XU4

Unread postby wernert » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:06 pm

When comparing apples with apples.... Remember when to bring price of peripherals also into the equation. For example the cost of the emmc is higher than SD card. And to use the C1 you need a more expensive HDMI cable/adapter while the RPi use a stock standard one that is very cheap these days and everybody has one lying around. The Rpi can be powered straight from the micro USB cable, whereas the C1 need an additional power cable. On the RPi you can see the bootup logs running right on the HDMI, but on the C1 you need an extra serial cable just for that or in case you need to debug what goes wrong. It all adds up to the cost. In the end when you bought all the accessories for the C1 it is much more expensive than the RPi. Fair is fair.

I like both the C1 and the new RPi 2, but if I had to choose I would go for the RPi at this stage if I just wanted to hack around and have fun. More just because of the larger community and shear number of cool projects out there. But if Hardkernel ever decides to make a W equivalent of the C1, then that would definitely make me reconsider, especially if I wanted to make some real product that I wanted to sell.
wernert

ODROIDs: ODROID-W
ODUINO One
ODROID-C1

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:23 pm

wernert wrote: For example the cost of the emmc is higher than SD card.

You can use a regular SD-Card. The eMMC just gives you a choice you do not have on RPi. Additionally, the SD card on OdroidC1 supports faster speeds. So even at the same cost, you can still get twice the SD card performance over RPi.

wernert wrote:And to use the C1 you need a more expensive HDMI cable/adapter while the RPi use a stock standard one that is very cheap these days and everybody has one lying around.

I do agree with you on this. I would have preferred a regular HDMI connector. There are Android tablets out there that also have the micro-hdmi connector. So others, like myself, may have this cable laying around.

wernert wrote:The Rpi can be powered straight from the micro USB cable, whereas the C1 need an additional power cable.

The C1 can also be powered from the USB cable but that would be a waste of a USB port.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c1_hardwarehacking

wernert wrote:On the RPi you can see the bootup logs running right on the HDMI, but on the C1 you need an extra serial cable

You can change the "console=ttyS0" line in boot.ini to "console=tty0" and see the bootup logs.

wernert wrote: if I had to choose I would go for the RPi at this stage

The important thing is that now you have a choice that was not there before!
crashoverride

Unread postby karlkloss » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:59 pm

wernert wrote:And to use the C1 you need a more expensive HDMI cable/adapter while the RPi use a stock standard one that is very cheap these days and everybody has one lying around.

I'm running the C1 with a micro HDMI to HDMI adapter that I had bought for $1 from Aliexpress for my Beaglebone Black, and a HDMI cable from a local dollar store.
Micro HDMI ports aren't that unusual nowadays, many tablets have them.
So what?

BTW: I received the Raspberry Pi 2 two days ago, and doesn't impress me much. The desktop is faster, but still not fast enough to replace a PC.
The C1 feels much more agile. In Kodi, the menus are much faster, but the mouse still lags terribly while a video is playing. And: I don't know why, but with my new monitor I can see a great difference in the picture quality. Especially low bitrate mkvs look significantly better when played by the C1 than the by the Raspi 2. This is an early version of Kodi for Raspi 2, and it may be that they are doing much less postprocessing than the Raspi 2 could do, because Kodi is still tailored to the slow Raspi 1. We'll see.
On the other hand, the C1 still shows some tearing here and there, which the Raspi does not.
Interestingly, I have a 1080p h265 encoded movie, that the C1 plays perfectly (no trearing at all), while some low bitrate, SD h264 videos do show tearing. So I don't think it's a performance issue.
And don't even dream about h265 on the Raspi 2. It won't happen.
karlkloss

Unread postby OverSun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:07 pm

There is no postprocessing for video in Kodi on RPi's and C1.
In simple words the process looks like a hole in the Kodi interface to bottom layer on which hardware is drawing. It's the same for C1 (not the same for U/XU/XU3), but the main idea is that this is uncontrolled by Kodi stuff, for Kodi it's just a hole in the interface to something unknown.
There is still a possibility that the way Kodi setup and feed the data to the hardware decoder could change the presentation of that layer.
OverSun

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:19 pm

karlkloss wrote:And: I don't know why, but with my new monitor I can see a great difference in the picture quality.

I commented on this in another thread. The Amazon Fire TV Stick also uses a VideoCore4 like the Pi and Pi2, and it also has the same horrible picture quality. My guess is that video decode is done in 16bit instead of 24/32bit because the VideoCore4 just can't handle anything more since its only 250Mhz.
crashoverride

Unread postby noggin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:59 pm

OverSun wrote:Huh, no OpenELEC right now, it doesn't even boot on RPi2.

Eh? There's been an official OpenElec build for the Pi 2 since Tuesday 3rd at least. I installed it on my Pi 2 that arrived on Tuesday. I ordered the Pi 2 on Monday so that wasn't bad going for delivery :-) It booted OE first time...

The RPi 2 OE 5.0.1 download image is on the normal OE download page here : http://openelec.tv/get-openelec The RPi 2 images are below the RPI images.

It's obviously still quite early days - but it is definitely a better experience than the Pi 1 - and the cost of a Pi 2 is about £30 delivered inc VAT and postage, whilst the cheapest I can find a C1 is £40 delivered inc VAT (and a USB to DC cable) I haven't compared Micro HDMI stuff as I already have a cable for them (I have an Odroid U2)

CEC on the Pi 2 is a really useful advantage (do we know when the C1 will be revised to support it and how we guarantee that we buy one with CEC support?) It handles 23.976Hz and 59.94Hz well.

The Pi 2 seems to handle pretty much everything I throw at it apart from 4K H264 and 1080/60p stuff. It does a good deinterlace of SD content and a Bob of HD stuff. I am getting audio drop outs which I need to look at further - could be caused by DVB bitstream errors as most of my viewing has been of Live and Recorded TV from TV Headend.
noggin

languages_spoken: English, Swedish, French, German
ODROIDs: C1, U2

Unread postby OverSun » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:20 pm

I spend my entire morning conducting tests for you and created the infograph for the results. I hope you guys will like it:
http://habrastorage.org/files/b69/4d3/6a4/b694d36a480d4626adc9c85438d9cb01.jpg
Last edited by OverSun on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OverSun

Unread postby crashoverride » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:38 pm

i <3 infographics!

(I like the footnote at the very bottom. Made me lol)
crashoverride

Unread postby OverSun » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:50 pm

I also filmed browser and OpenELEC performance, but they I would say mostly "on par" and most noticeable difference is the color dither on the RPi, which indeed blows your eyes away when you have the boards one after another on the same TV.
Since I don't have capture card and filming it on TV doesn't make much sense, it cannot be noticed that good on the clip, and the performance is almost the same I am not going to paste this.
OverSun

Unread postby sokito13 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:16 pm

I got my pi 2 on last Thursday. I have done some real world use comparisons, and I must admit that c1 is indeed faster. Faster sysbench and higher framerate for playing 1080p video files.

Neither can handle 1080p 60frame videos nicely. But 30frame videos no problem.

Pi 2 has much better desktop usability. It's much more fluid. Also the web browser works better on pi2.

C1 boots faster with emmc, but I can't really complain about the booting speed of pi even with a micro SD card.

On stock setup, pi runs much cooler. Overclock was no problem up to 1GHz and GPU 500MHz. Didn't test further.
sokito13

Unread postby schnip » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:48 am

thank you very much for your tests and the nice infographic!
schnip

ODROIDs: U3

Unread postby billw » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:14 am

Anyone have a gtkperf comparison?
billw

Unread postby streetboy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:18 pm

Overclock on C1 was no problem up to 1.7Ghz. It's really fast for the computing jobs.
But Pi2 has more smooth x11 desktop. so somebody should consider the 2D accelerated desktop on xorg.
streetboy

C1, XU4

Unread postby rickyjames » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:25 am

The infographic was great, but shouldn't its first line say "Raspberry Pi 2 vs. Odroid-C1", and not just "Raspberry Pi"?
rickyjames

ODROIDs: ODROID-U3

Unread postby OverSun » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:36 pm

=D Dammit, you got me there, I'll fix it.
OverSun

Unread postby meveric » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:11 pm

just found my pv tests in your inforgraph.. the second one pv text.txt > /dev/null is faulty.. you have to make sure you use a file that's bigger than the RAM, or else it will just take whatever it has in buffer..
I normally take files that are at least 2 times size of the RAM :)
It should result in a read test (and values) similar to hdparm but messured on actual files.. if you want to spend the time, you should create the files with /dev/urandom

The /dev/urandom part is very interesting.. it's even faster than the XU3 and therefore really good

The /dev/zero > /dev/null test is kinda bad.. that's not even half of what the U3 can do.. shows how slow the CPU/RAM is compared to the U3 :(
meveric

Unread postby OverSun » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:33 pm

I used hardware random number generator device for urandom test, the /dev/hwrng one.
OverSun

Unread postby meveric » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:50 pm

well it's really good.. the U3 can get about 4 MB/sec and XU3 gets 4.6 MB/sec so over 6MB/sec is really not bad at all..
meveric

Unread postby rickyjames » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:53 pm

jamesh, one of the primary Raspberry Pi engineers, is duplicating OverSun's tests with a different Pi software build. Should be interesting.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 62&t=99512
Last edited by rickyjames on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
rickyjames

ODROIDs: ODROID-U3

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:12 am

I hope they include some Android benchmarks too!
crashoverride

Unread postby meveric » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:24 am

If you read, they just believe the RPi2 is so "bad" cause some parts of the image are not yet NEON and armv7 optimized.. I doubt they gonna include an Android benchmark..
meveric

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:35 am

Its no fun when you have to explain it: The Pi can't run Android.
crashoverride

Unread postby mikronauts » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:53 am

I'll be publishing a whole whack of benchmarks, hopefully tonight, but they are built as default, as I prefer to use default settings for compiling benchmarks (for reviews, different story if I am trying to tune a system).

jamesh thinks part of the difference in performance is the sysbench being built for ARMv6 on the Pi2, and I suspect he will get somewhat better results by building for ARMv7, but I don't think it will close the MHz gap.
http://Mikronauts.com ... Home of RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio, Pi Jumper, EZasPi
mikronauts

ODROIDs: odroid-w, odroid c1

Unread postby oskrmv19 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:43 am

Odroid c1+ supports 4k resolution for hdmi port output? In case the support as configured in /media/boot/boot.ini ??.

Thank you.
oskrmv19

ODROIDs: odroid c1+

Unread postby OverSun » Tue May 16, 2017 2:37 am

No, 4k support is a feature of Odroid-C2.
OverSun

Return to General Chat