Wiki correction-instructions for u-boot wrong?/incompleteC1

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Wiki correction-instructions for u-boot wrong?/incompleteC1

Unread postby sputnik » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:23 am

Apparently we don't have access to the wiki. Referring to this page: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c1/software/building_u-boot
At the bottom it says this:
You also can update U-boot from Linux with dd command. After building U-boot, copy u-boot.bin into your ODROID-C1. Then do the command below in order to flash your U-boot image to MicroSD or eMMC.

$ sudo dd if=u-boot.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=64
$ sudo sync

That does not work for me, tried it 3 times. But simply running sd_fusing.sh works fine. Yes, I know the same command is in sd_fusing.sh but...
Also, obviously one must create a FAT16 vfat formatted partition for dtb, kernel, initrd, but there is no reference to that (feel the force, Luke?) By trial and error and cheating I came up with the right incantations, but it would have saved me much time had the following information been available:
A partition for kernel, dtb and initrd is necessary. Run fdisk <device> and create a root partition (partition 1), override the START with 49152. If you plan to have your rootfs on the sdcard on another partition you can put a minimum of +60M for the last sector of this root partition. Change type to FAT16 ("t" option, value 6) and type "w" to save changes. Format it with mkfs.vfat /dev/sd<device>1 and put your kernel, dtb, boot.ini and initrd there. A 60MB partition will have room for at least 3 kernels and associated files.

Thanks.
sputnik

languages_spoken: english, some spanish
ODROIDs: C1+

Re: Wiki correction-instructions for u-boot wrong?/incomplet

Unread postby odroid » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:00 am

Thank you for the report and suggestion.
We will update the wiki page once we test it early next week.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby sputnik » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:32 am

Thank you odroid. BTW, it would also be helpful if somewhere in there was stated that you MUST build u-boot with an x86_64 machine, because the proprietary blob is in that format, no getting around that. I wasted a lot of time trying to do it on my C1+ natively until I found this post: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?p=144767#p144767. Sure, the instructions say to do that, but us smart people don't follow those.
sputnik

languages_spoken: english, some spanish
ODROIDs: C1+

Unread postby Luke.go » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:58 am

Hi there!
First of all, Thank you for your report. :)
The Bottom of building_u-boot was misleading. the Bottom guide was means that writing u-boot.bin on natively. :(
I changed the background color of the codes, and added some words to remove confusing.

I will add your advise about FAT16, rootfs to wiki with your references.

May the Force be with you :D
Luke.go

languages_spoken: english

Return to General Chat