Issue with Kodi Krypton build (fbdev)

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Issue with Kodi Krypton build (fbdev)

Unread postby AlexIW » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:00 am

Hello,

I've built the latest Kodi Krypton build from Owersun's repository (thank you for your work on it!), on the latest ubuntu minimal image (3.10.104-189, mali r6p2 libs, without x11).
I can't seem to find any repository where it's compiled (or even Jarvis compiled for fbdev with recent mali libraries - if anyone has a build, I'd appreciate a copy).

I haven't tested it extensively yet, but it seems to work fine - just one very noticeable issue: after about 10-15 minutes for playing an h264 1080p video (accelerated with amcodec of course), kodi's UI (OSD) stops appearing.
This includes subtitles, log data displayed on screen, the main menu etc. I can still control the playback, it just seems the UI stops being rendered. Seems to happen after a constant amount of time, but I haven't measured to verify.

Nothing special appears in the log / console, so I have no idea how to begin debugging it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
AlexIW

languages_spoken: english

Re: Issue with Kodi Krypton build (fbdev)

Unread postby OverSun » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:12 pm

Never had this issue...
I'm using Kodi on fbdev all the time, including on XU4. Yeah, the 3.10 kernel and r7p2 drivers are the latest where everything works smooth. But I've never experienced what you described.
Also on XU4 the interface and video layer are not separate layers, this is same EGL surface, so basically if Kodi interface dissapears - this is some internal Kodi flaw, not drivers or libraries problem.
OverSun

Unread postby odroid » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:24 pm

I think he is using a C1+.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby OverSun » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Damn, I should stop replying to topics just stand up from the bed. =D

I'll take my C1 out of the drawer this weekend and give it a try.
OverSun

Unread postby AlexIW » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:35 pm

I'm using a C1.

I've made a few more tests - this problem is unrelated to media playback, it happens even on the main menu. After 10 minutes, the rendering stops.

I've also tried to make a Jarvis build. It has the same issue.
I also can't get it to work with hardware acceleration (I get a black output if I compile it with amcodec enabled), but that's another issue, although I'd appreciate an advice on that too.

The flags I'm currently using to compile both builds:
Code: Select all
LDFLAGS+="-L/usr/lib/aml_libs"
CFLAGS="-mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -ftree-vectorize -mvectorize-with-neon-quad -ffast-math -O3 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2" \
CPPFLAGS=${CFLAGS} \
CXXFLAGS="${CPPFLAGS} -fpermissive" \
./configure --prefix=/usr/local    gl_cv_func_gettimeofday_clobber=no ac_cv_lib_bluetooth_hci_devid=no    --disable-debug    --enable-optimizations    --enable-libbluray    --disable-texturepacker    --enable-external-libraries    --with-lirc-device=/run/lirc/lircd    --disable-vaapi    --disable-static --enable-shared    --enable-rsxs    --enable-codec=amcodec    --disable-x11    --enable-gles    --disable-gl    --disable-openmax    --disable-vdpau    --disable-vtbdecoder    --disable-pulse    --disable-vtbdecoder      --enable-ccache    --enable-non-free    --disable-texturepacker    --with-ffmpeg=force     --enable-neon    --enable-webserver

EDIT: Just noticed your post OverSun, I'd appreciate that a lot! Currently it seems like a library issue since it happens on both builds, I might try to use older an older mali library later.
AlexIW

Unread postby OverSun » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:15 pm

First of all, try running it under root. Often with self-compiled enviroment when people test their skill of assembling software they forget the environment and there could be stuff just not accessible for your user to work properly
OverSun

Unread postby AlexIW » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:27 pm

I'm doing everything with root for now. Doesn't launch without it at all (probably permission errors with the drivers), but I'll solve that later.
AlexIW

Unread postby OverSun » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:40 pm

ok, good so far. I'll give it a try this weekend as I've said, and write you what I did to compile and run.
The first difference that is going to be there for sure is that I use cmake, Kodi switched to cmake build system mainly since v17. And maybe something was forgotten to be update for automake.
OverSun

Unread postby OverSun » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:45 pm

I did tested it the C1 and I don't see the issue you are describing.
Since you are telling it happens inevitably after 10 minutes I really suspect this to be some kind of blanking on inactivity.
Can you check two things - that you have "consoleblank=0 no_console_suspend" in your kernel command line and also what happens if you face the issue, press some keys on the keyboard connected to the board or move the mouse, what happen then?
OverSun

Unread postby AlexIW » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:04 am

OverSun wrote:I did tested it the C1 and I don't see the issue you are describing.
Since you are telling it happens inevitably after 10 minutes I really suspect this to be some kind of blanking on inactivity.
Can you check two things - that you have "consoleblank=0 no_console_suspend" in your kernel command line and also what happens if you face the issue, press some keys on the keyboard connected to the board or move the mouse, what happen then?

Turns out you were right! :D Setting the consoleblank to 0 solved the problem, I wasn't aware of this argument at all.
It seems that Kodi locks up the input to itself somehow, since any input didn't wake up the screen saver, but did control Kodi itself.
This doesn't happen on retroarch for example (it turn off the framebuffer there too, but wakes up on any input. Didn't think the behavior is related because of this...). Not sure if it's a bug or not.

Anyway, thank you very much for your time in trying this out, I appreciate it! :)
AlexIW

Return to General Chat