DVB-T USB stick that actually works (in tvheadend)?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

DVB-T USB stick that actually works (in tvheadend)?

Unread postby dieselnutjob » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:24 am

I am trying to build a tvheadend server from a C1, and so far I have tried two DVB sticks and can't get either to work.

I have an old Realtek RT2832 based stick which looks okay in dmesg
Code: Select all
odroid@odroid:~$ dmesg |grep dvb
[    6.382437@2] usb 1-1.2: dvb_usb_v2: found a 'Trekstor DVB-T Stick Terres 2.0 in warm state
[    6.442981@3] usb 1-1.2: dvb_usb_v2: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer
[    6.509699@3] usb 1-1.2: dvb_usb_v2: schedule remote query interval to 400 msecs
[    6.521996@3] usb 1-1.2: dvb_usb_v2: 'Trekstor DVB-T Stick Terres 2.0' successfully initialized and connected
[    6.522271@3] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_rtl28xxu

but I just can't get any of the muxes in tvheadend to find anything. It was no better in a laptop running Debian stretch.

I also bought a MyGica T230 as it appeared to be supported in Linux. On the odroid it will not work as the kernel is too old, and on the laptop I cannot find a tuner firmware that successfully loads, so this car will be going back to Amazon.

Can anyone recommend a USB DVB-T stick that definitely will work on the odroid with tvheadend? It would be another problem eliminated if I buy something that is known to be good.

thanks
dieselnutjob

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Re: DVB-T USB stick that actually works (in tvheadend)?

Unread postby dieselnutjob » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:33 pm

I am going to try a Sony PlayTV.
They are a bit bigger than a USB stick, but they are cheap and easily available on ebay and it appears that they work well in Linux with older kernels.
I will post back once it arrives.
dieselnutjob

Unread postby Nuems » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:46 pm

I used a Hauppauge Nova-T for years on my Odroids until DVB-T in Germany was replaced by DVB-T2 earlier this year. In general, it might be a good idea to connect DVB USB sticks to a powered USB hub instead of the Odroid's ports directly. I can't say anything about tvheadend, though, because I prefer VDR.
Nuems

languages_spoken: english, german, some spanish
ODROIDs: xu, c1

Unread postby dieselnutjob » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:03 am

The Sony Play TV works perfectly, and pulls in many more channels than cheap sticks that I've tried.
dieselnutjob

Return to General Chat