Odroid-C1 and Kodi

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Odroid-C1 and Kodi

Unread postby pulker » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi,

I am planning to buy an Odroid C1 and only use it only for running Kodi.
I have read a lot on this forum but still a couple of things are not clear to me.
Hope someone can answer these questions. Thank you!

-Can I power the Odroid C1 from a USB port on my TV or do I need to buy a seperate power supply?
-Is CEC supported or not (if not is this under development) and do I need to buy the RTC backup battery?
-How is the overal performance of Kodi on the Odroid C1. Is it best to buy and install on a MicroSD card or eMMC. Are all formats supported?
-Does it work good over Wifi or do you need a LAN cable

sorry for all the questions, but it would be easy to make a good decision (also for other users) when this is cleared.
thank you all!

pulker
pulker

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: to buy a C1

Re: Odroid-C1 and Kodi

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:08 pm

pulker wrote:-Can I power the Odroid C1 from a USB port on my TV or do I need to buy a seperate power supply?

There was an article on the ODROID Magazine you have to combine two pins to allow powering by USB http://magazine.odroid.com/assets/20150 ... 201503.pdf
pulker wrote:-Is CEC supported or not (if not is this under development) and do I need to buy the RTC backup battery?

Not sure, some say it can, others still have issues.. But since the C1 right now is sold out, HardKernel could make a new board that has the fix that was needed to get CEC to work properly. No clue about the battery though...
pulker wrote:-How is the overal performance of Kodi on the Odroid C1. Is it best to buy and install on a MicroSD card or eMMC. Are all formats supported?

Guess performance is "ok" better than on RPi2 and H.264 and H.265 should work perfectly fine. There were some issues with MPEG2 in the past. I think there is a list on all supported formats.
The Datasheet for the AmLogic 805 linked on the HardKernel Homepage says:
The AVE supports full formats including MVC, MPEG-1/2/4, VC-1/WMV, AVS, RealVideo, MJPEG streams, H.264, H265 and also JPEG pictures with no size limitation. The independent encoder is able to encode in JPEG and H.264 up to 1080p at 30fps.

pulker wrote:-Does it work good over Wifi or do you need a LAN cable

That depends on your wifi mostly not the board.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby Jojo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:10 pm

meveric wrote:
pulker wrote:-Can I power the Odroid C1 from a USB port on my TV or do I need to buy a seperate power supply?

There was an article on the ODROID Magazine you have to combine two pins to allow powering by USB http://magazine.odroid.com/assets/20150 ... 201503.pdf

Of course this depends also on the capability of the USB port of your TV, so keep that in mind, too! If you plan to use a USB WiFi dongle, I have doubts, that it will work stable. In addition many TVs switch off their USB ports, when they are off. I am not sure, if this is, what you want :roll: .
All in all I would prefere a separate PSU for the Odroid, but that is just MY opinion ;) .

Greetings!
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2, HC1, HC2, VU8C

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:18 am

I think performance is better than okay, it's quite good. Library scanning is about %40 quicker than the Pi 2 and the Kodi interface is noticeably faster..if I had to put a number I would say %15 smoother.

I have the USB to barrel cord for the C1 and my TV can power the C1, to use WiFi make sure the dongle is supported.

If powered by the port on the TV you will likely have issues using a WiFi dongle, they are extremely susceptible to power fluctuations. Best to use a 2A power supply.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby pulker » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:55 pm

great and fast responses! thank you!
just need to now if SD or eMMC makes a big speed difference when using Kodi.
can anyone comment on that?

do we really have to wait untill august before new devices are available?

greetz

pulker
pulker

Unread postby Jojo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi,

I don't know what you need, but I am using a mainstream class 10 SD card and I am very happy with that.

Greetings
Jojo

Unread postby wrxtasy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:13 pm

Kodi on the ODROID C1:

http://spmc.semperpax.com/
SPMC is a stable version of Kodi 14.2 Helix with some nice features backported from the unstable Kodi Isengard test builds.

What works reliably: (Android v1.6 OS image with either SPMC or Kodi Isengard)
- 1080i mpeg2 Live TV, deinterlacing is very good using Advanced Motion Adaptive Edge Enhancing deinterlacing.
- 23.976fps / H264 / H265 video playback at 60Hz (minor 3:2 pulldown video judders. However, you see this on all media player using this combo)
- Dynamic Refresh rate switching to 24, 50 or 60Hz, based on the Frames Per Second (fps) of the source video
- Ethernet network speeds are fast
- Kodi operation and browsing remote files on a NAS is snappy.
- 5.1 Audio
- Class 10 / UHS-1 Sandisk micro SDHC cards

What works most of the time:
- HEVC (H265) video playback using SPMC

What does not work properly:
- HEVC (H265) video playback using Kodi Isengard
- 23.976fps (24p) video playback at a refresh rate of 24Hz. There is a video frame glitch every 41 seconds due to the lack of True 24p video output.
- Samsung micro SDHC cards. (Rebooting problems due to ODROID Firmware - poor MMC drivers)

What is currently under testing:
- True 24p video output when using Android Firmware. As well as support for video output refresh rates of 29.97 and 59.94Hz

You only need a HardKernel USB power cord and a mobile phone charger to power the OC1 reliably.
Sandisk Class 10 micro SDHC cards are fast and work well. Get a eMMC if you plan on working with Ubuntu, compiling code and doing lots of data Read/Writes and using the Desktop. Kodi is fast just running from a Class 6 Sandisk micro SDHC card, especially if the OC1 is overclocked to 1.78Ghz and runs in Performance mode.

W.
Last edited by wrxtasy on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreELEC Krypton C1(+) HERE
LibreELEC Krypton C2 HERE
wrxtasy

Unread postby rooted » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:56 am

H265 works perfect for myself, not sure if I upgraded to Isengard though.

I have a 10GB movie encoded in H265 and it plays effortlessly, along with Big Buck Bunny and all the other test files.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby pulker » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:49 pm

thanks again all!

since the C1 is sold out, would it be a good idea to go or a U3?
can it do everything the C1 can do concerning kodi?
or do you recommend to wait for the C1

thx
pulker

Unread postby OverSun » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:04 pm

It doesn't have H256. Everything else is comparable. And CEC is working better than on C1 for me.
OverSun

Unread postby wrxtasy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:34 pm

This thread may help.... (hint the S805 is the AMlogic SoC you want that hardware decodes HEVC(H265) )
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229161
wrxtasy

Unread postby pulker » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:40 am

thanks all.
With the c1 not being in stock currently I am thinking of buying one later and going for a rpi 2 for the moment, since I read good comments on that and kodi performance.

any comments/experience on that?
pulker

Unread postby OverSun » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:43 am

Due to chip nature used in RPi it has worse color. The color looks dithered.
You wouldn't notice that much if you would be using RPi without C1 at the same time or close to each other. But I was doing comparison testing and was running C1 and RPi one after another on the same videos, same TV. The color delivery of C1 is more rich and half-tones are smoother.
OverSun

Unread postby rooted » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:53 am

OverSun wrote:Due to chip nature used in RPi it has worse color. The color looks dithered.
You wouldn't notice that much if you would be using RPi without C1 at the same time or close to each other. But I was doing comparison testing and was running C1 and RPi one after another on the same videos, same TV. The color delivery of C1 is more rich and half-tones are smoother.

Fact
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby wrxtasy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:12 pm

Yes I have both as well and now you mention it the AMlogic S805 in the C1 does produce better picture quality. Also I find the sound out of the C1 to be a lot richer and punchier than the RPi2.

As no one found my hint I will spell it out. The only Android platform with True 24p synced video and perfect sync of 59.94fps content plus dynamic Refresh Rate switching, the same as you get with a RPi2 is the AMlogic S805 equipped MINIX NEO X6. They have very well sorted Firmware these guys that works very well with Kodi. Every other AMlogic based platform (including HardKernel) are at the moment playing Firmware catchup unlocking the features the AMlogic S802/S805/S812 SoC's provides.

From above:
- True 24p video output when using Android Firmware. As well as support for video output refresh rates of 29.97 and 59.94Hz
wrxtasy

Unread postby pulker » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:21 am

ok thank you all for your feedback.
I think I will just go for both :-)
pulker

Unread postby Holzhaus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Hey mdrjr, can you rebase you XBMC/Kodi repo to Kodi 15.0-RC1?
http://kodi.tv/kodi-15-0-isengard-rc-1/
Holzhaus

ODROIDs: C1 (running ArchLinux ARM)

Unread postby Holzhaus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:56 am

bump
Holzhaus

Unread postby wrxtasy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:35 am

As you have not specified which OS - Kodi Isengard RC is already on Android:

http://kodi.tv/download/
wrxtasy

Unread postby Jojo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Holzhaus wrote:Hey mdrjr, can you rebase you XBMC/Kodi repo to Kodi 15.0-RC1?
http://kodi.tv/kodi-15-0-isengard-rc-1/

In the meantime RC2 has been published, so the repo could be rebased on that:
http://kodi.tv/kodi-15-0-isengard-rc-2/
But I personally think, that it won't take long time that Kodi Isengard will be released officially. Maybe we should just wait for that.

mdrjr, what do you think?

Greetings!
Jojo

Unread postby mdrjr » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:11 pm

Waiting for official.. I have issues with rc/betas during the road.
mdrjr
Site Admin

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread postby Jojo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:53 pm

Ok, we'll wait patiently. Good to hear, that you keep it rolling :) ! Thanks!
Jojo

Unread postby albsat » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:52 am

Very helpful. You are responsible that I purchased a c1. :) As a happy raspberry pi user, I was going for pi2.

Now, please what do you think about 1.7 version ? How do you compare the unofficial openelec with smpc performance?

Thanks

wrxtasy wrote:Kodi on the ODROID C1:

http://spmc.semperpax.com/
SPMC is a stable version of Kodi 14.2 Helix with some nice features backported from the unstable Kodi Isengard test builds.

What works reliably: (Android v1.6 OS image with either SPMC or Kodi Isengard)
- 1080i mpeg2 Live TV, deinterlacing is very good using Advanced Motion Adaptive Edge Enhancing deinterlacing.
- 23.976fps / H264 / H265 video playback at 60Hz (minor 3:2 pulldown video judders. However, you see this on all media player using this combo)
- Dynamic Refresh rate switching to 24, 50 or 60Hz, based on the Frames Per Second (fps) of the source video
- Ethernet network speeds are fast
- Kodi operation and browsing remote files on a NAS is snappy.
- 5.1 Audio
- Class 10 / UHS-1 Sandisk micro SDHC cards

What works most of the time:
- HEVC (H265) video playback using SPMC

What does not work properly:
- HEVC (H265) video playback using Kodi Isengard
- 23.976fps (24p) video playback at a refresh rate of 24Hz. There is a video frame glitch every 41 seconds due to the lack of True 24p video output.
- Samsung micro SDHC cards. (Rebooting problems due to ODROID Firmware - poor MMC drivers)

You only need a HardKernel USB power cord and a mobile phone charger to power the OC1 reliably.
Sandisk Class 10 micro SDHC cards are fast and work well. Get a eMMC if you plan on working with Ubuntu, compiling code and doing lots of data Read/Writes and using the Desktop. Kodi is fast just running from a Class 6 Sandisk micro SDHC card, especially if the OC1 is overclocked to 1.78Ghz and runs in Performance mode.

W.
albsat

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby wrxtasy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi,

I suggest using the new Android v1.7 image on the C1 for a better Kodi Isengard experience, plus you get HEVC decoding with Android. Something the unofficial OpenElec image does not support currently. OpenElec is currently on Kodi Helix 14.2.
There have been a few welcome additions to the new Android v1.7 C1 image by the HardKernel dev. tobetter after I asked kindly a couple of months ago. :D

Mainly the addition of a new Kernel for Android that has Frame Rate Automation support. What this means is that Android Amlogic C1 users now get video output of:
23.976/24/25/29.97/30/50/59.94/60Hz for perfect video sync, especially on a 24p TV. No more 3:2 pulldown judder. Just like RPi and Linux users have had for years now.

The Kodi Isengard 15.0 RC3 version included in Android is virtually the final stable release as well with extra features. And its pretty quick if you tweak a few things:
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=14949

HEVC (H265) playback in Kodi Isengard on Android is still a WIP when using the amcodec decoder. It simply does not work at the moment. Mediacodec (Android Media decoder) does play 1080p HEVC but the picture freezes consistently around the 9 minute mark during playback. HEVC / Big Buck Bunny test clip has major issues.

However you can use the External Player app function in Kodi Isengard to activate the Android MX Player app, and HEVC then plays perfectly.

Currently a Kodi power user called Noggin has found issues with AC3/DTS Audio Passthrough with Isengard on Android image v1.7, apparently there is an AMlogic fix for this tho. OpenElec does not have this issue, but it does not have the new Kernel for perfect 24p video sync. (video glitch every 41 seconds 23.976@24Hz)
wrxtasy

Unread postby albsat » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:58 am

First issue. The android version needs a keyboard with USB. What there is no virtual one?

2. How can I make kodi start up without access to external apps as Google play is missing?

3. I can't access the odroid c1 via my phone using any file manager. Any solution?

Thanks guys
albsat

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby wrxtasy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:17 am

1. Android > Settings > Language & Input > Keyboard & Input Methods > Default > Hardware Physical Keyboard > Off

2. To install the Google Play Store open up the Android Browser and search for "codewalker gapps". Download ODROID - Android KitKit 4.4.x. Then use UltraExplorer > Downloads folder > install > give root permission > reboot

3. Probably something in the Google Play store, I'm not that familiar with Android apps.
Kodi can be controlled via an Android Phone with the Apps: Yatse and also official remote for Kodi called Kore:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Smartphone/tablet_remotes
wrxtasy

Unread postby Holzhaus » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:18 pm

mdrjr wrote:Waiting for official.. I have issues with rc/betas during the road.

Here it is:
http://kodi.tv/kodi-15-0-isengard-one-release-to-rule-them-all/

Thanks in advance!
Holzhaus

Unread postby Holzhaus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:24 am

Any progress yet?
Holzhaus

Unread postby mdrjr » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:28 am

apt-get install kodi-latest
mdrjr
Site Admin

Unread postby Holzhaus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:45 pm

How did you build it? I'm using ArchLinuxARM and the latest commit in your github repo is from March, the last update of the Arch PKGBUILD has been 4 months ago.
Holzhaus

Unread postby mdrjr » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:07 am

Source: https://github.com/owersun/xbmc

Code: Select all
/configure --disable-static \
--enable-shared gl_cv_func_gettimeofday_clobber=no ac_cv_lib_bluetooth_hci_devid=no --disable-debug --enable-optimizations --disable-gl --enable-gles --disable-enable --disable-vdpau --disable-vaapi \
--disable-vtbdecoder --disable-tegra --disable-profiling --disable-joystick --disable-libcec --enable-udev --disable-libusb --disable-goom --disable-rsxs --disable-projectm --enable-waveform --enable-spectrum \
--disable-fishbmc --enable-x11 --enable-xrandr --enable-ccache --enable-alsa --enable-pulse --enable-rtmp --enable-samba --enable-nfs -enable-afpclient --enable-libvorbisenc --disable-libcap --enable-dvdcss \
--disable-mid --enable-avahi --enable-upnp --enable-mysql --enable-ssh --enable-non-free --disable-asap-codec --enable-webserver --enable-optical-drive --enable-libbluray \
--enable-neon --enable-texturepacker --with-ffmpeg=force --enable-codec=amcodec --enable-ccache --disable-texturepacker

make -j10
mdrjr
Site Admin

Unread postby rooted » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:16 pm

@mdrjr

Where are the old kodi releases stored? I need the version included in the March C1 image, preferably a direct http link so I can download and install later with dpkg.

Thanks
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Holzhaus » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:42 am

@mdrjr: Thanks for posting. By the way, you seem to use both --enable-texturepacker and --disable-texturepacker.
Holzhaus

Unread postby mdrjr » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:37 am

rooted wrote:@mdrjr

Where are the old kodi releases stored? I need the version included in the March C1 image, preferably a direct http link so I can download and install later with dpkg.

Thanks

I have those on the temp folder on my server. Name the file and I can retrieve it for you.
mdrjr
Site Admin

Unread postby mdrjr » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:37 am

Holzhaus wrote:@mdrjr: Thanks for posting. By the way, you seem to use both --enable-texturepacker and --disable-texturepacker.

That happens over time :)
But its picking the last one.. disabling it.
mdrjr
Site Admin

Unread postby rooted » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:39 am

mdrjr wrote:
rooted wrote:@mdrjr

Thanks

I have those on the temp folder on my server. Name the file and I can retrieve it for you.

It's kodi (20150304-bd5505a-46), it would be nice if you kept the various kodi versions in the repo so we could downgrade when necessary :)
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby rooted » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:30 pm

You find that version mdrjr? It's the best version of Kodi that I have seen on the C1 and I don't want to reflash just to get it.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby vanathi » Mon May 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Hello everyone,
I bought odroid C1+, Please let me know what are the initial steps I have to do first.
vanathi

ODROIDs: yes

Unread postby odroid » Mon May 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Open a new topic instead of posting on two years old thread.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Return to General Chat