ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC

Unread postby bpbiszkopt » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:53 am

Ok, Thx :-) Just install your image and make update, that's all...
bpbiszkopt

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: u3

Unread postby aric1979 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:55 pm

meveric wrote:yes some time ago mdrjr changed his webspace a little while ago from http to https and apt needs special treatment for that:
Code: Select all
su -
cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
sed -i "s/^/#/" *.list
apt-get update
apt-get install apt-transport-https ca-certificates
sed -i "s/^#//" *.list
# after this you can update as usual again:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

Ok I did all of this and the updates worked awesome but now the old XBMC does not work. I can hear it but not see it. I thought well maybe I need to upgrade to Kodi. I tried your instructions on that per page 17 of this thread but that doesn't work for me either. It says
Unable to loacate package.
aric1979

ODROIDs: xu4 U3 C2

Unread postby meveric » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:30 pm

give me a little time to investigate..
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby aric1979 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:32 pm

aric1979 wrote:
meveric wrote:yes some time ago mdrjr changed his webspace a little while ago from http to https and apt needs special treatment for that:
su -
cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
sed -i "s/^/#/" *.list
apt-get update
apt-get install apt-transport-https ca-certificates
sed -i "s/^#//" *.list
# after this you can update as usual again:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

Ok I did all of this and the updates worked awesome but now the old XBMC does not work. I can hear it but not see it. I thought well maybe I need to upgrade to Kodi. I tried your instructions on that per page 17 of this thread but that doesn't work for me either. It says
Unable to loacate package.

One thing I forgot to mention is I did the select all copy and paste of what you had wrote without noticing the "#after this you can update as usual again:" Then I just did the update line without closing the window and reopening it. I don't know if that could have messed anything up or not since it was in a different section or directory. I guess I can just start all over flash the old base image to my sd card boot it up then copy and paste it correctly? When it updates is it supposed to install kodi? Or leave Xbmc and I need to past in apt-get kodi-odroid line?
aric1979

Unread postby meveric » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:59 pm

lines starting with a # are comments, and terminal will just ignore them, so there's no issue with that.
It will not update from xbmc to kodi. Kodi has to be installed manually.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 pm

Ok I've tested the update for the U3 and came across a few issues.
In fact it does upgrade from XBMC to Kodi, as I put that into setup-ogst-odroid.
I had some issues starting Kodi afterwards and when I checked into it I found it was complaining about the language which apparently was not found, but I could easily correct this with:
sed -i "s?<language>English (US)</language>?<language>English</language>?" ~/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml

The issue with the missing items for the RCB is in fact the rcb_useOldAlignment value it's located in ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.confluence/settings.xml and needs to be set to "false".
After that I had no issues with Kodi anymore and everything was working as expected.

I'll update the image on the first page to the recent version of this image in a little bit, therefore you don't have to do these steps yourself.
But, if you can't wait, the above information should be enough to fix the image yourself.

Edit:
new version is uploaded and linked on the first page.
meveric

Unread postby bpbiszkopt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Thx meveric... i don't why i didn't saw rcb_useOldAlignment line in confluence skin file...
Kodi working fine...i see scrappers.
I have two more question.
How should works retroarch...if i run it from desktop, it runs like oldschool...
If i run it from terminal with sudo it looks like this
This one form sudo looks much user friendly but when i trying to update/load any core it refresh and nothing happens.
And the second question at the menu there is something like mame arcade emulator, when i trying to lunch it nothing happens, form terminal i have segmentation fault.
bpbiszkopt

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:21 pm

bpbiszkopt wrote:Thx meveric... i don't why i didn't saw rcb_useOldAlignment line in confluence skin file...
Kodi working fine...i see scrappers.
I have two more question.
How should works retroarch...if i run it from desktop, it runs like oldschool...
If i run it from terminal with sudo it looks like this

starting it from menu starts retroarch as user odroid (using the settings I prepared)
starting from terminal with sudo starts retroarch as user root (sudo = super user do -> super user = root) and with the settings for root (which are not configured by me).
bpbiszkopt wrote:This one form sudo looks much user friendly

It's just the setting what design you want to use and can be changed in the driver settings, I'm actually thinking about changing the design to the new one soon.
In the past the new design was very buggy and did not work correctly, but that was fixed some time ago.

bpbiszkopt wrote:but when i trying to update/load any core it refresh and nothing happens.

No surprise, the root user has no configuration for retraorch, the default config does not know where cores are located and such, don't use sudo, there's no point what so ever for useing sudo to start retroarch, it just makes your system more vulnerable to attacks.
bpbiszkopt wrote:And the second question at the menu there is something like mame arcade emulator, when i trying to lunch it nothing happens, form terminal i have segmentation fault.

Don't know about this, that's nothing I installed (at least it shouldn't).
meveric

Unread postby aric1979 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 am

meveric wrote:Ok I've tested the update for the U3 and came across a few issues.
In fact it does upgrade from XBMC to Kodi, as I put that into setup-ogst-odroid.
I had some issues starting Kodi afterwards and when I checked into it I found it was complaining about the language which apparently was not found, but I could easily correct this with:
sed -i "s?<language>English (US)</language>?<language>English</language>?" ~/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml

The issue with the missing items for the RCB is in fact the rcb_useOldAlignment value it's located in ~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.confluence/settings.xml and needs to be set to "false".
After that I had no issues with Kodi anymore and everything was working as expected.

I'll update the image on the first page to the recent version of this image in a little bit, therefore you don't have to do these steps yourself.
But, if you can't wait, the above information should be enough to fix the image yourself.

Edit:
new version is uploaded and linked on the first page.

Thank you very very much. All fixed up :D
aric1979

Unread postby aric1979 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:45 am

I installed a xu4 fan on top of my u3 heat sink and plugged it in. Is there a way I can have it come on like you do the XU4 game station turbo build on my U3? The fan noise doesn't bother me at all.
aric1979

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:19 pm

it should do that automatically when needed... the U3 is much cooler than the XU4 therefore it's rarely needed.. and stays off most of the time.
meveric

Unread postby poopins » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 am

I used to use this image years ago and remember it being excellent. Recently I've been trying to get this image running and for some reason whenever X starts it is an ungodly mess - it looks like huge slanting diagonal streaks, as if the rendering is trying to rending an image much too large.

Weirdly, the mouse cursor is rendered on top of this and works perfectly. I believe this is because Xorg renders the mouse cursor seperately? Once XBMC starts the mouse cursor disappears (I presume because it starts rendering it with the mali drivers) but the rest of the screen is still rendered in the same broken slanting horizontal fashion. The console works fine an renders normally. I cant get a working vesa or fbdev xorg config to test, but am sure it has to do with the armsoc drivers.

It seems to affect my system with both the 2015 and 2017 disk images.

It's not the system itself, as the console and boot process are fine, as are an android image I tested.

Does anyone else have this issue, and how do I fix it? What also I don't understand is how is this not affecting everyone using the image, as it does this to my system with the default settings?

Thanks for any light you can shed on the issue.
poopins

Unread postby meveric » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:58 am

poopins wrote:I used to use this image years ago and remember it being excellent. Recently I've been trying to get this image running and for some reason whenever X starts it is an ungodly mess - it looks like huge slanting diagonal streaks, as if the rendering is trying to rending an image much too large.

The U2/U3 officially only supports 720p and 1080p resolution, but thanks to armsoc framebuffer drivers other resolutions are possible as well, but not all will work.
So depending on your TV/Monitor the resolution might not be supported.

poopins wrote:Weirdly, the mouse cursor is rendered on top of this and works perfectly. I believe this is because Xorg renders the mouse cursor seperately?

Yes it does.
poopins wrote:Once XBMC starts the mouse cursor disappears (I presume because it starts rendering it with the mali drivers) but the rest of the screen is still rendered in the same broken slanting horizontal fashion. The console works fine an renders normally.

Console renders in 720p. The U2/U3 comes with boot.scr files either for 720p or 1080p as 720p is more likely to support older TVs/Monitors it's set to 720p.
Console always renders in 720p while Desktop is on a "autodetect" from what your TV reports.

poopins wrote:I cant get a working vesa or fbdev xorg config to test, but am sure it has to do with the armsoc drivers.

vesa and fbdev are not supported, in fact aside from armsoc nothing will work.

poopins wrote:It seems to affect my system with both the 2015 and 2017 disk images.

My guess it's an issue with the TV/Monitor and not the board, so the image, either 2015 or 2017, does not matter as the driver did not change since then.

poopins wrote:Does anyone else have this issue

I can just say that it works fine on my Samsung TV in 1080p. I also used ODROID VU in 1080p mode which also works fine with the image.

poopins wrote:and how do I fix it?

Try to quit XBMC and do a system upgrade the system should use Kodi by now and no longer XBMC if it's all up to date.
Try open a terminal and type xrandr check the output interesting could be infos like "current" which gives you the current desktop resolution but also it might be interesting what other resolutions are reported that are claimed to be supported.
As the console is working, I guess 720p should work fine, so you can try (blindly) writing the following command in a terminal (NOT in the console under CTRL + ALT + F1! - You need to be on the Desktop for this to work):
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 1280x720

This will switch the desktop resolution to 720p and maybe this is working better for you.
Also if you can try a different TV/Monitor.

poopins wrote:What also I don't understand is how is this not affecting everyone using the image, as it does this to my system with the default settings?

First, the U2/U3 is rarely used anymore, it's no longer produced for several years and people moved on to other systems, so the number of people still using this particular image is getting smaller and smaller.
Still that doesn't mean it's no longer working.. I have a U3 running right now using the same image and as I said, it's working perfectly fine on my side.
meveric

Unread postby poopins » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:51 am

Excellent, that worked perfectly! It was the tv, it was outputting at some 1366 resolution. I ran it on a different tv which put it at 1080, added the xrandr command to the startup section for mate under the settings directory, and now it seems to be working fine.

Thank you!
poopins

Unread postby Guiseppe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:34 pm

I see in your repository that the latest chromium is 52. One of the sites I visit wants 55 or later.
Do you have that somewhere other than in the Chromium directory?
Guiseppe

ODROIDs: U3

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Actually the latest chromium from my repository is chromium 57.
root@gamestation-turbo:~# apt-cache policy chromium
chromium:
  Installiert:           57.0.2987.98-1~deb8u1
  Installationskandidat: 57.0.2987.98-1~deb8u1
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 57.0.2987.98-1~deb8u1 0
        500 http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/ jessie/main armhf Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
meveric

Unread postby Guiseppe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:10 am

Thank you.
Guiseppe

Unread postby LeeMcNutt » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:22 pm

So I use Recalbox cause I don't like having to use a keyboard and mouse to change settings and what not. I just tried ogst today and already ran into a problem. For some reason I had to go to the desktop to be able to set up my wifi. When I restart the system I have no wifi in Kodi. I have to go back to the desktop to click on the top right to get WiFi back. Also I keep getting a pop up and have to keep putting in the password. What am I doing wrong why don't my wifi stay connected.
LeeMcNutt

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:08 pm

LeeMcNutt wrote:So I use Recalbox cause I don't like having to use a keyboard and mouse to change settings and what not. I just tried ogst today and already ran into a problem. For some reason I had to go to the desktop to be able to set up my wifi. When I restart the system I have no wifi in Kodi. I have to go back to the desktop to click on the top right to get WiFi back. Also I keep getting a pop up and have to keep putting in the password. What am I doing wrong why don't my wifi stay connected.

By default Linux uses a password store (keyring) to store passwords and configurations like SSID and such for WiFi in.
This keyring needs to be "unlocked" to use the data inside.
Normally this is done on "login" as you enter your username/password this is enough to verify you are you and the keyring is unlocked.
Since we use autologin for the desktop you are technically not authorized to use what's stored in the keyring. Therefore it asks for the keyring password when you try to connect to the WiFi and does not automatically connect.
Just so you know why this is happening.

What you can do:
Use an unencrypted keyring, means all login information for your WLAN is stored unencrypted in plain text, not recommend but doesn't really hurt either.
For this go to /home/odroid/.gnome2/keyrings/ and remove the keystore and keyring files in here (delete them or rename them whatever).
Restart the ODROID and setup your WiFi again (all settings are gone as we removed the keyring/store).
When you configure your settings for WLAN it will ask you to define a keyring password.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT SET UP A PASSWORD
leave this empty and you have an unencrypted keyring. From now on WiFi will connect automatically as the keyring does not need to be unlocked first.
meveric

Unread postby mikmakmuk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:01 pm

Did someone get kodi-next-odroid (Krypton) get to work with CEC?
I have libcec4, libp8-platform2v4, cec-utils installed and kodi seems to find the driver:
13:47:27.899 T:3026309120   DEBUG: LoadMappings - loaded node "CEC Adapter"
13:47:27.899 T:3026309120   DEBUG: LoadMappings - loaded node "Pulse-Eight CEC Adapter"
13:47:27.899 T:3026309120   DEBUG: LoadMappings - loaded node "iMON HID device"
13:47:27.899 T:3026309120   DEBUG: LoadMappings - loaded node "WETEK Play remote"
13:47:27.899 T:3026309120   DEBUG: LoadMappings - loaded node ""
13:47:27.900 T:3026309120   DEBUG: CPeripheralBusUSB - initialised udev monitor
13:47:27.900 T:3026309120   DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(libcec.so.4)
13:47:27.901 T:3026309120   DEBUG: Loading: libcec.so.4
13:47:27.927 T:2863653792   DEBUG: Thread PeripBusUSBUdev start, auto delete: false
13:47:27.927 T:2855265184   DEBUG: Thread PeripBusCEC start, auto delete: false

$ dmesg | grep cec
[    0.205757] s5p_hdmi_cec_set_platdata()
[    2.820754] cec: Probe start
[    2.820757] s5p_cec_probe: pdata=e6cab940
[    2.820776] s5p_cec_mem_probe(): mapped cec_base to f007e000, size 0x1000
[    2.820884] cec: Requesting irq 146 for s5p-cec
[    2.820922] cec: probe successful

$ uname -a
Linux gamestation-turbo 3.8.13.30 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 26 17:53:58 CEST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

However:
libCEC version: 4.0.1, compiled on Linux-3.10.104+ ... , features: P8_USB, DRM, P8_detect, randr
Found devices: NONE

and /dev/CEC exists...

With kodi-odroid (libcec3), CEC works perfectly fine so I can exclude general hardware incompatibilities.

I'm stuck here...
mikmakmuk

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:07 pm

I couldn't get it to work either :(
But I haven't looked into it in a very long time.
meveric

Unread postby mikmakmuk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:13 pm

Ouch, that's a bummer. Then I know at least it's not a solved problem...
mikmakmuk

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:16 pm

maybe I can find a way to rebuild CEC4 for Debian Jessie in a way it works.
Let's see what I can find out.

Edit:
Just found that by default Exynos Support is disabled, I'm rebuilding it with activated support and will do a small test, if it works I'll upload the new version of libcec4 :)
meveric

Unread postby mikmakmuk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:00 pm

Great! Let me know if I can help with testing...
mikmakmuk

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:03 pm

mikmakmuk wrote:Great! Let me know if I can help with testing...

well good news and bad news... I got CEC4 working, BUT this results into a broken version of Kodi, as both use different versions of libp8-platform.

Which means, in order to get both working, I probably have to completely rebuild Kodi as well.
meveric

Unread postby mikmakmuk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:31 pm

Hm...
ldd /usr/bin/cec-client | grep p8
        libp8-platform.so.2 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libp8-platform.so.2 (0xb6e79000)

ldd /usr/local/lib/kodi/kodi.bin | grep p8

Kodi seems to be not linked at all to libp8...
mikmakmuk

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:38 pm

nah that's some other things.. cec is loaded as a module.. but I think I figured it out now.
I could compile CEC with the same libp8-platform kodi was compiled against and it seems to work fine.
meveric

Unread postby mikmakmuk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:42 pm

Nice! If you want I can test the new packages out here before you push them to the repo...
mikmakmuk

Unread postby meveric » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:48 pm

I've uploaded them right now, since the old packages didn't work anyway, there shouldn't be any harm in it.
Please let me know if the new packages work for you or not.
meveric

Unread postby mikmakmuk » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:02 am

Works like a charm, thanks!
mikmakmuk

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:06 am

glad it's working :)
meveric

Previous

Return to Projects