ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC

Unread postby Guiseppe » Tue May 03, 2016 11:13 am

I have installed pepperflash on my U3 jessie eMMc and replaced the CHROMIUM_FLAGS line with
Code: Select all
CHROMIUM_FLAGS=" --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=11.7.700.225"

The Adobe page reports flash as 19,0,0,185.

When I try to play anything in BBC iplayer I only get sound. I found in a thread to turn off hardware acceleration which I have done but the problem persists.

Any pointers?
Guiseppe

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 03, 2016 1:56 pm

If you're using my packages and images you don't need to alter anything. The default flags are fine and flash works automatically.
Also the pepperflash I offer is currently 19.0.0.185 so that version should be fine.
Not sure where you found you should disable hardware acceleration, but that's generally a very bad idea, since it was reported over and over again, that starting by Chromium 47 youtube and other html5 or flash contents will NOT work without HW acceleration.

Normally the image should be completely preconfigured for Chromium, and you only have to install pepperflash and are good to go.

Can you post an URL of what you try to open so I can check on my U3 if it's working or not and try to find out how to fix it if needed?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby Guiseppe » Tue May 03, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks for the very prompt reply.

This is just one of the URLs - nothing I click on in BBC iplayer gives pictures

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone

Next problem that I thought I had solved was to edit resolv.conf and enter a new DNS. However next boot there was the original DNS - in first place in the list.

How to permanently change the DNS?

EDIT: If that FLAGS line didn't need changing what was the original line?
Guiseppe

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Guiseppe wrote:Thanks for the very prompt reply.

I'll try that later tonight and see what I can find out.

Guiseppe wrote:Next problem that I thought I had solved was to edit resolv.conf and enter a new DNS. However next boot there was the original DNS - in first place in the list.

How to permanently change the DNS?

DNS is normally handled automatically and reported from your router. Default is to take the DNS server reported by your router and set it in the resolve.conf file that's why changing it manually only lasts until next reboot.
You can change the DNS server using the network manager (using the network symbol on the desktop) or you can edit: /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
search for:
#prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

uncomment that line and set the IP you want to use for your permanent DNS Server entry.

Guiseppe wrote:EDIT: If that FLAGS line didn't need changing what was the original line?

CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--use-gl=egl --ignore-gpu-blacklist --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas --num-raster-threads=4 --audio-buffer-size=4096"

Flags for pepperflash are added automatically upon installation of the package.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby Guiseppe » Thu May 05, 2016 10:31 am

Copied that line but there seems to be no difference - hard to tell when there is only sound though!

EDIT: Tried again this morning and have both sound and picture albiet with lip sync issue.

Thank you.
Guiseppe

Unread postby meveric » Thu May 05, 2016 4:37 pm

meveric wrote:
Guiseppe wrote:Thanks for the very prompt reply.

I'll try that later tonight and see what I can find out.

well looks like i can't do much here, BBC is region blocked and only worked from UK.
So sadly I can't test this.
meveric

Unread postby Guiseppe » Wed May 18, 2016 11:16 am

I am trying to USB tether my Motorola Moto e 2nd gen phone

ifconfig -a

shows usb0 but I cannot connect to the 'net.

EDIT: If it helps I found this line ( not mine but is indicative):

[14972.710663] rndis_host 3-2:1.0 usb0: register 'rndis_host' at usb-0000:00:14.0-2, RNDIS device, 02:04:67:3f:31:35

then mine shows in the next line something like:
unregister 'rndis_host'

What configuring to Jessie needs to be done?
Guiseppe

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 18, 2016 2:31 pm

No clue, I tried with my OnePlus One Phone and USB tethering worked.
Just did a quick test on a XU3 and a U3 both worked fine.
meveric

Unread postby GoFightaRock » Thu May 19, 2016 6:01 am

Hey Meveric,

I'm recently decided to breathe new life into my old U3 and use it as my primary media center (at least until the screen drop issue on the XU4 is potentially resolved permanently)

Anyways. I pulled your most recently uploaded image for the U-series and downloaded. flashed and did a full "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade" and everything has run just perfectly.

The only problem is I can't install the Exodus 1.3.xx Addon in the 13.xx Kodi version. Is there an easy way to upgrade to a newer version of Kodi that will possibly support exodus?

I understand that it's been possible in the past on different distrobutions (XU3/4) and that it comes at the cost of losing the autostart script and xbox controller functionality. But are there any "Image breaking" concerns with upgrading to a later version?

Best regards.
GoFightaRock

ODROIDs: XU3, U3, C1

Unread postby meveric » Thu May 19, 2016 2:59 pm

GoFightaRock wrote:Hey Meveric,

I'm recently decided to breathe new life into my old U3 and use it as my primary media center (at least until the screen drop issue on the XU4 is potentially resolved permanently)

What issues do you mean? The old "black screen issue" where you were left with a black screen or a crash when you exit a full screen application?
If so, that was "resolved" a couple months back and works "ok-ish" at the moment. It exposed a tearing issue though, but if your main goal is to watch movies, that's working fine on XU3/XU4 (you just need to set fixed refresh rate to 60Hz). But generally the XU4 is working nicely at the moment (apart from the tearing)

GoFightaRock wrote:Anyways. I pulled your most recently uploaded image for the U-series and downloaded. flashed and did a full "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade" and everything has run just perfectly.

The only problem is I can't install the Exodus 1.3.xx Addon in the 13.xx Kodi version. Is there an easy way to upgrade to a newer version of Kodi that will possibly support exodus?

Well, 13.2 which is preinstalled is not Kodi, but XBMC ;)
You can install Kodi quite easily; open a terminal and type:
su -
apt-get install kodi-odroid ogst-starters-kodi

This should update Kodi to version 16.1 and should work fine.
You should be able to use the Setup tool on the Desktop to enable or disable autostart for certain tasks.
GoFightaRock wrote:I understand that it's been possible in the past on different distrobutions (XU3/4) and that it comes at the cost of losing the autostart script and xbox controller functionality. But are there any "Image breaking" concerns with upgrading to a later version?

Best regards.

Nothing breaks anylonger, that was way in the past with Kodi 14.x where controller support was not working under ARM, ever since Kodi 15 I got it to work and ever since it's available for my images as well.
meveric

Unread postby Cartridge » Sun May 29, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi Meveric,

I've been wondering... On Xu3 with jessie image, glshim works fine... On U2/U3 The GLShim either yours from your repo or my own compiled one does not start on some programs and gives me a GlBlendEquation. I have to use supersuser mode to get the shim working otherwise im getting "Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0." in usermode. Why is that? Nothings interfering with XServer...
http://cartridgeports.cf/
ODROID's DO what WinDON'T "That's Blast Processing!"
Cartridge

languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Cartridge wrote:Hi Meveric,

I've been wondering... On Xu3 with jessie image, glshim works fine... On U2/U3 The GLShim either yours from your repo or my own compiled one does not start on some programs and gives me a GlBlendEquation. I have to use supersuser mode to get the shim working otherwise im getting "Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0." in usermode. Why is that? Nothings interfering with XServer...

You should ask that @ptitSeb, he's the developer of GLshim, but I know that some of the GlBlend functions are missing on the current drivers for the Exynos 4 series, which is very strange.
But I heard there might be a update on the Exynos4 GPU drivers soon hopefully this will fix the issue once and for all.

I'll check on GLshim on the U3, I didn't noticed, that it doesn't work at all.. Only a few programs should not work, such as Witchblast for example, but the older games I already have in my library for years should still work fine.
meveric

Unread postby Cartridge » Mon May 30, 2016 9:19 pm

Yes some work fine, some refuse to run under usermode and some not at all... I've been so hyped up about the Xu3 I totally forgot about the U2 xD Poor guy. It's running great now that it is running your image. Mostly using the U2 for a server though...
Cartridge

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 30, 2016 11:57 pm

yes, I mostly use my XU3 and XU4 as well.. But normally have a U3 at hand to try new stuff as well.
There were quite some changes on the XU3 and it's running better and better. With the latest fix for SDL 1.2 which allows to switch resolutions for programs on the fly correctly now makes it much more fun to use :)
Still nothing beats the stability of the Exynos 4 products.
meveric

Unread postby Guiseppe » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:05 pm

meveric wrote:You can change the DNS server using the network manager (using the network symbol on the desktop) or you can edit: /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
search for:
#prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

uncomment that line and set the IP you want to use for your permanent DNS Server entry.

After some time the only way I can make my preferred DNS "stick" is to amend
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
dns=none

[ifupdown]
managed=false

and input the DNS in Administration>Network>DNS>"preferred DNS"
Guiseppe

Unread postby Dixon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi meveric,

finally got around to dust off my U3, and your image looks great - updated it to recent kodi and so far everything works great. However I may need to recompile the kernel because the chipset of my wifi (Edimax EW-7811UTC) isn't enabled in the kernel driver (8812au) yet. I would like to try to get it working, but as the driver is built-in I can't just recompile the module. What would be the easiest way to do that for your kernel?
Dixon

Unread postby meveric » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:02 pm

hmm if it's a build-in module, I can take a look if I can recompile the module as a "module" that ways you could replace it with your own one if you have the sources.
The Headers should be enough to compile the module itself.
meveric

Unread postby Dixon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:39 am

Sorry, my bad - the driver actually is a module and not built-in. Managed to get it working with an out-of-tree version, but according to mdrjr they will soon release a 16.04 image with an updated kernel which includes rtl8821au. Anyways, thanks for your help!
Dixon

Unread postby meveric » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:43 am

and if they do, I will update my Kernel with it as well :)
meveric

Chromium crash using Gmail

Unread postby Antonio66 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:31 am

Hello,
I'm using ODROID XU4 with fantastic distro Gamestation Turbo from a year or more.
In the last month (after some update) I can not use gmail on Chromium the loading of the Gmail site starts normally, but after a while it crashes (Aw, Snap!) :?
the same with Facebook is became more unstable respect the past.
Some idea ?

Thanks
Antonio
Antonio66

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:07 am

There is a thread in the XU3/XU4 part of the forum which you should use instead of this one, it makes it easier to track issues between different boards.
Anyway I've seen the same issue, and I'm not sure what it is. For gmail you have to option to switch to HTML mode which will work.
It seems to have some issues with hangouts I guess.

It's probably the current version of Chromium that is causing the issue, maybe with Chromium 54 this is fixed. I'll check into it more, but I can't promise anything.
meveric

Unread postby Cartridge » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:21 am

Hi meveric, or anyone who can attend to assist me,
I'm trying to install that same wifi dongle I had on my Xu3 and we worked on that together.

Now I compiled the sources myself with no success.
I tried the deb package you provided aswell and also no success. I'm running OGST with updated headers and kernel on U2.
DMESG gives me this on boottime :
6.547165] mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
[    7.595416] smsc95xx v1.0.4
[    7.605784] [smsc95xx_read_mac_addr] Mac address = 1A:64:B6:BF:36:14
[    7.627605] ERROR: 256 KiB atomic DMA coherent pool is too small!
Please increase it with coherent_pool= kernel parameter!
[    7.637958] rt2870: probe of 1-3.1:1.0 failed with error -1
[    7.641682] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2870
[    7.654534] smsc95xx 1-2:1.0 eth0: register 'smsc95xx' at usb-s5p-ehci-2, smsc95xx USB 2.0 Ethernet, 1a:64:b6:bf:36:14
[    7.661541] usbcore: registered new interface driver smsc95xx

What could be wrong? I installed it a number of times before on other devices, why now it's gotta act picky? lol.

--EDIT--
I just now saw I can change this option in boot env args but I put it in boot.txt coherent_pool=4M and boot ignores it. I can't open boot.ini it's some garbled elf type characters.
Cartridge

Unread postby meveric » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:48 pm

So yeah, first you guessed right the ERROR: 256 KiB atomic DMA coherent pool is too small! error indicates that the coherent_pool is too small and needs to be increased.
But the U2 was a little bit tricky here. It uses these the boot.scr file which are "compiled" from the boot.txt file. It's not directly opening boot.ini files.

The command that "compiles" your boot.txt file to a boot.scr file:
mkimage -T script -A arm -C none -n '4MB Coherent Buffer Boot' -d boot.txt boot.scr

There's a topic on the ODROID Wiki that explains it with NFS boot: http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... t_argument
Check the part for the ODROID U3.
meveric

Unread postby Cartridge » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:19 am

Thank you meveric! You're the best! The dongle is up and running with the same modules. That txt to scr converter is a nice tool. Thank you!
Cartridge

Unread postby Buck » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:34 pm

Thanks a lot meveric for all your hard work on this. I a U3 that's easily powerful enough to be a versatile media box, and you're the only one still bringing up to date packages out for it. I very much appreciate it.

For my own knowledge, do you have a link to somewhere where I can learn to cross compile things such as debian and kodi for my u3? I'm very curious to learn to do this for myself as well, but I couldn't find any decent sources on Google.
Buck

languages_spoken: english dutch frisian german
ODROIDs: Odroid U3

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:54 am

Nope sorry I don't have guides for cross compiling, I compile everything directly on the ODROID U3.
meveric

Unread postby Nickman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Is there something blocking an upgrade to Kodi 17 on the gamestation turbo? (plugins perhaps?)
Really loving your images but would like to get to the latest Kodi as well :)

Keep up the good work!
Nickman

ODROIDs: ODROID-U2 ODROID-C1

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:21 pm

Kodi 17 is already available: viewtopic.php?p=191780#p191780

Still if you install it you will loose PVR Plugins and other plugins, I haven't ported yet for Kodi 17.
Everything that comes from Kodi repos should work though.
meveric

Unread postby Muenzi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:04 am

Hi meveric,

first of all, thanks a lot for all of your effort in supporting and developing your GameStation project.

I have an unused Odroid U3 and wanted to test GameStation Turbo. I installed the image ODROID-GameStation-Turbo-3.0-RC1-20150525-U-Jessie.img to my EMMC card and did upgrade + dist-upgrade. Every run smoothly. But now, when Kodi starts, I am not able to scrape my games anymore because there are no scrapers installed. Additionally, I installed Emulationstation via setup-ogst, but it tells me it "can't find any systems"

Did I do anything wrong?
Muenzi

Unread postby meveric » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:27 am

I'm kinda surprised, upgrade and dist-upgrade worked, I would have expected you ran into errors with HTTPS, which was discussed in other threads already.
Did you solve this yourself, or did you not had this error?
There should be MANY updates.. It probably downloads over 500 MB or so on an update of this image (as it is from 2015 and since then a lot happened).
Did you download that amount of updates or how did the update process go?

Scraper don't need to be installed, they are build into the RomCollectionBrowser of Kodi and don't require anything to be installed.
So as long as you have internet connection they should work. What ROMS did you try to scrap?

EmulationStation should work out of the box, at least if you have the latest updates installed, which brings me back to my first question, if you're sure updates were installed correctly.
EmulationStation is configured through /home/odroid/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg which is provided by my setup-ogst-odroid package. So if you have the latest version of that package, you should also have the correct version of es_system.cfg.
meveric

Unread postby Muenzi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:45 am

Oh sry, my fault. I missed to write I installed apt-transport-https and the certificates first.

To make it clear, my full procedure:

Write image to EMMC card.

Boot odroid. After boot, close XBMC and resize EMMC with resize.sh containing
#!/bin/bash

fdisk_first() {
      p2_start=`fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0 | grep mmcblk0p2 | awk '{print $2}'`
      echo "Found the start point of mmcblk0p2: $p2_start"
      fdisk /dev/mmcblk0 << __EOF__ >> /dev/null
d
n
p
$p2_start

p
w
__EOF__

sync
      touch /root/.resize
      echo "Ok, Partition resized, please reboot now"
      echo "Once the reboot is completed please run this script again"
}

resize_fs() {
   echo "Activating the new size"
   resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2 >> /dev/null
   echo "Done!"
   echo "Enjoy your new space!"
   rm -rf /root/.resize
}

if [ -f /root/.resize ]; then
   resize_fs
else
   fdisk_first
fi

Reboot system

Close XBMC again, connect to WiFi

In terminal:
sed -i "s/^deb/#deb/" *.list

apt-get update
apt-get install apt-transport-https ca-certificates

sed -i "s/#deb/deb/" *.list

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -yf –-fix-missing && apt-get dist-upgrade -yf –fix-missing

wget https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/sources.lists/meveric-all-U.list
wget -O- http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/meveric.asc | apt-key add -
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -yf –-fix-missing && apt-get dist-upgrade -yf –fix-missing

Reboot again. Next boot, Kodi starts + RomCollectionBrowser. Press "c" -> Scrape selected (for example 2048), but no scraper is available in Scraper 1,2 or 3.
Muenzi

Unread postby meveric » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:33 pm

Muenzi wrote:To make it clear, my full procedure:

Write image to EMMC card.

Boot odroid. After boot, close XBMC and resize EMMC with resize.sh containing

Using the "resize.sh" script is a bad idea. The image is written in a way that it does it's own resize which is done after the first boot automatically.
The script is similar to the script you used, but as I said, you don't need to do it manually.

Muenzi wrote:In terminal:
sed -i "s/^deb/#deb/" *.list

apt-get update
apt-get install apt-transport-https ca-certificates

sed -i "s/#deb/deb/" *.list

Up the here it's "ok" although you shouldn't use -yf --fix-missing. Rather just use:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

[quote="Muenzi"]
[code]
wget https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/sources.lists/meveric-all-U.list
wget -O- http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/meveric.asc | apt-key add -

This part is wrong and not needed, since it's already part of the image. Once again, I advice against using -fy --fix-missing.

Muenzi wrote:Reboot again. Next boot, Kodi starts + RomCollectionBrowser. Press "c" -> Scrape selected (for example 2048), but no scraper is available in Scraper 1,2 or 3.

Can you select any other Rom Collection, like GBA or anything? Maybe the setup-ogst-odroid package was not installed correctly.
meveric

Unread postby Muenzi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:08 am

Hi meveric,

I followed your instructions. Unfortunately there are still some problems with the scrapers. When importing games I cannot select scrapers or change scraping mode. The options do not show up in the prompt, but are left blank.

Therefore I cannot change from automatic mode to interactive, which is quite annoying for scraping game series with complex characters.

Tomorrow I can deliver some pictures if necessary.
Muenzi

Unread postby meveric » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:05 pm

please try apt-get install --reinstall setup-ogst-odroid.
Thereis a switch on Kodi if for Rom Collection Browser it should use the OLD UI placement or the NEW ui placement.
I think your's is set the wrong way currently.
meveric

Unread postby Muenzi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:58 am

Hi meveric,

unfortunately, this did not fix the problem.

But finally, I found exactly the same bug in a Kodi forum as well (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid1925864).

The solution mentioned there was to change the skin away from Confluence and then going back. I tried the Aeon Nox Skin and finally, it is working fine. But if I go back to confluence the problem reappears. The solution for me is to keep it simple and use Aeon Nox skin.

But thank you very much for all your appreciated help.
Muenzi

P.s.: I know a similiar bug from a WiiU emulator. Quite the same happens there if specific fonts are not installed. Maybe this might be a reason?!
Muenzi

Unread postby meveric » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:20 am

check /home/odroid/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml or if you still use XBMC /home/odroid/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml there should be a setting called: skin.confluence.rcb_useOldAlignment
Switching this from true to false or the other way around may fix your issue.
meveric

Unread postby Muenzi » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:01 am

Hi, I checked the file /home/odroid/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml, but there was no switch called like this.

Maybe this is due to skin change I did before?
Muenzi

Unread postby meveric » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:06 am

Maybe, yes it should be part of the confluence skin.
meveric

Previous

Return to Projects