jpiat
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-W
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Issue with Broadcom

Unread post by jpiat » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi,

i received my two ODROID-W and i must say that i'am very satisfied with this product. You have succeed into taking a know good product (the raspberry-pi) and made it into a true embedded system (the raspberry-pi is meant to be a mini PC). I ordered these boards for a project and i'am very sad to read that due to sourcing issues you won't be able to build a new batch. There is a good deal of rumor about Broadcom refusing to sell this chip to other project than Raspberry-pi and it would be interesting to know the reason provided by Broadcom. I like the raspberry-pi and its awesome support, but your product is a prefect fit for wearable or IOT while raspberry-pi isn't. The SOC, the raspberry-pi and ORDOID-W are based-on gained a lot of popularity thanks to the raspberry-pi foundation (RPF) but it would be interesting to know if Broadcom won't sell it to to other than RPF because some people still think that they can develop a product based on it.I thought that is what the raspberry pi computed module was supposed to help with. Please share your information about this issue our give a contact at Broadcom that could bring more information.

Thanks

Respectech
languages_spoken: English, German, some Ukrainian, some Spanish
ODROIDs: All the ODROIDs!!

Well, the ones released since the U2.

Re: Issue with Broadcom

Unread post by Respectech » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:06 am

Disclaimer: Although I am an editor for ODROID Magazine, I in no way speak for ODROID or Hardkernel.

Over a year ago, I wanted to develop a project based on the same Broadcom SoC used in the Raspberry Pi. I have a friend who works for Roku (who also use the same SoC as the RPi), and so I asked for an "in" with Broadcom to discuss purchasing the SoC chips. They stated that I could buy a small quantity for R&D, but then future quantities would have to be at least in the tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands in order for them to work with me. This was by far larger than what I was prepared to commit to, so I didn't pursue my project.

I'm guessing that Broadcom either increased the amount that they told HK they would need to buy in order to develop the boards, or perhaps they didn't give HK a firm agreement in advance and then surprised them with this news.

My gut feeling is that the Raspberry Pi Foundation has no part in this issue between HK and Broadcom.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:21 pm

It was the first time for us working with Broadcom. We could get a restricted data-sheet from Broadcom site after process of registering as a customer.
All our purchasing for samples for our development and the first pilot(about 5K) lot was accepted without any issue. There was no MOQ issue at all.
And we announced ODROID-W and tried to load a purchase-order for the next batch.
But it was refused. Why? It's time to ask Broadcom.

I really don't want to talk about this issue in this developer oriented forum.
Please don't reply!

omc
ODROIDs: ODROID-W

Unread post by omc » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:07 am

@odroid :As requested by you, I really don't want to extend much on this issue. But I have a problem. we just started a startup company. and started building first product based on Broadcom chip BCM2835 . I am using ODROID-W at this moment. So what is your suggestions / recommendation to us ?

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread post by mdrjr » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:15 am

Find any other SoC vendor. Don't use Broadcom.

frostedfires
ODROIDs: ODROID-W (Amazing!)

Unread post by frostedfires » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:21 am

Yeah there has to be another supplier...

I'm probably completely wrong but would you be able to use these?

http://m.alibaba.com/product/686842952/ ... M2835.html

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:07 pm

No.. we will not try any unauthorized Broadcom distributors.
It may cause more serious issue because Broadcom doesn't allow resell/redistribution.

This thread is locked. We don't want to talk about this nightmare.
But we will keep supporting ODROID-W users.

Return to “General Chat”