Vu8c ribbon damaged (workaround?)

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Vu8c ribbon damaged (workaround?)

Unread postby flyoffthehandle » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:17 pm

I love the vu8c and have managed without the touch capabilities since I damaged the cable during setup. Right above the contacts that plug in to the vu8c board my tool somehow sliced through or perfectly ripped through the cable. Has anyone done the same or can anyone explain how I would permanently solder / repair the cable? I've tried following the traces but I don't want to try unless I can minimize the chances of ruining the entire screen.
flyoffthehandle

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: u3, C1

Re: Vu8c ribbon damaged (workaround?)

Unread postby odroid » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:12 pm

There are four signals on the FPCB(ribbon cable) for the touchscreen controller interface.
Try to find four exposed signal pads on the controller board which is attached to the touch glass.
And connect them to the Vu8c board with very thin enamel wires if your soldering skill is quite good.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby flyoffthehandle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:09 pm

CA5DBEE9-FCB6-41A0-96F1-ABC2746471FD.jpeg
CA5DBEE9-FCB6-41A0-96F1-ABC2746471FD.jpeg (442.53 KiB) Viewed 222 times

Just making sure I've got the right idea. I can grab the pinout from the wiki but the pads in the red circle are safe to solder to the board using the thin enamel wires you mentioned?

What would you do with what is left of the damaged cable? I thought electrical tape could just be used to make sure nothing is exposed and then tuck it between the back of the touchscreen controller and the screen?
I'll worry about how to cover the solderd wires on the board once I've actually got that done.
Thanks for the help. I can't believe I didn't see those contacts before. Once I pulled the protective film back it was rather obvious and makes this a lot easier on someone with subpar soldering experience.
flyoffthehandle

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: u3, C1

Unread postby odroid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Unfortunately, the pads in the red circle were used for the touchscreen controller IC firmware writing I2C bus. Sorry for my wrong information.
But GND(0V) pads can be used for your repair purpose.

You need to trace other USB VBUS, D+ and D- signals.
The bottom side of L1 component in your picture is VBUS(5Volt).

Refer this pin map of 6pin FPCB ribbon cable to find D+ and D- signal pads.
vu8c_fpcb.PNG
vu8c_fpcb.PNG (4.94 KiB) Viewed 218 times
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Return to ODROID-VU