USB OTG Host

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

USB OTG Host

Unread postby schmidtbag » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:48 pm

I am working on a project involving 2x 1080p webcams, and despite using modprobe quirks, it isn't possible to get them to run simultaneously on the same USB host controller. I have an ODROID-U2, which is plenty powerful enough to handle the workload I want to give it, but both of the USB ports on it are shared by the same hub.

Back when I got the U2, I remember there not being any official support for the OTG port to be used in host mode. However, I heard the U3's OTG port can be used as a host controller. The U3 (to my understanding) is basically just a revised version of the U2, but, there are enough differences that it wouldn't surprise me if it's OTG port is more capable than the U2's. That's why I'm here.

So what I'm wondering is if I can use the U2's OTG port as a host controller, and if so, is there anything specific I need to do or get? I already have a micro USB to type A adapter, which I've used for other devices.

The annoying thing is the U2 is almost perfect for my application, except this one issue. I considered getting the C1+, but I'm not 100% sure if its OTG port works as its own independent host controller either. The XU4 I know for a fact would handle my needs but it is so overkill that its extra resources would just hurt battery life.
schmidtbag

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U2 and C1

Re: USB OTG Host

Unread postby odroid » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:26 am

U2/U3 micro-USB port is working in the device mode only.
There is no way to use it in host mode due to hardware limitation.

C1+/C2 supports the host most with the micro-USB port.
Refer the C1+/C2 block diagram and schematics.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... &tab_idx=2
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... &tab_idx=2
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby schmidtbag » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks for the clarification. I did see the block diagrams but far too often have I been burned by devices with USB OTG ports that don't work in host mode, including ones that claimed they could, and ones that are supposed to be electrically capable of it. That being said, I really don't want yet another ARM device lying around that can't fulfill my needs due to 1 small problem. Could you provide the "lsusb -t" results of the C1+ with the micro USB port in host mode?
schmidtbag

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 am

I connected a mass-storage device to the OTG port via OTG-to-Host cable. http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 0193470720
Code: Select all
odroid@odroid:~$ lsusb -t
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc_otg/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc_otg/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 1, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 2, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12M

Please note that you need to remove a jumper on the J8.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... _odroid-c1
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby schmidtbag » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Great - thanks for all the information. Looks like I'll be buying a new Odroid sometime this week!
schmidtbag

Return to Hardware and peripherals