[Docker] lightweight virtualisation for your odroid host

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

[Docker] lightweight virtualisation for your odroid host

Unread postby Hominidae » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:49 am

Hi Folks,

I finally managed to successfully use docker with my XU3.
With docker (https://www.docker.com/whatisdocker/), you can manage to host many
different applications on your single ODROID box ....concurrently...and without creating a mess.

...run applications like

- owncloud
- lamp
- openstack
- roundcube
- serviio DLNA/Server
- webproxy/webfilter
- DHCP/DNS-Server, like dnsmasq
- .....<fill in your favorite linux application here>

....all inside its own, lightweight docker container, based on CentOS, Ubuntu, Fedora, ARCH, ..... as preferred by you or as required by the application.
This approach will make efficient use of the ODROID ressources and at the same time keep your base/host-OS clean.
If something goes wrong, all other application containers won't be affected and no need to clean-up the host (i.e. re-install/purge the system-media).

Interested? This is a short intro on how to get started:

Step A: Prepare the host

• install host OS
  • You will need an OS with support for docker.
    While Ubuntu 14.04 has it in the repos, the actual XU3 kernel needs a rebuild.
    You can use ARCHLinux for the XU3, which comes with ready support in the kernel and a more upstream version of docker.
  • install docker binary from repository
  • - Ubuntu: use
    Code: Select all
    $ sudo apt-get install docker.io

- ArchLinux: use
    pacman -S docker

Step B: create and test a base image

I suggest to begin with an Ubuntu 14.04 based image,
    as this is also the required base for building docker from source.
    In general, this first step is explianed here: http://docs.docker.com/articles/baseimages/
    For the XU3, on ARM, things do need some tweaks...

• install debootstrap utility
  • Well, debootstrap is needed to create a basic debian/ubuntu tarball.
    Follow the required steps for your distro (i.e. in ARCH install yaourt first).
    Remark:
    docker hosts a repository, where you can find lots of containers ready. https://registry.hub.docker.com/
    However, docker itself is not architecture aware (yet) and the armhf containers I found/tested
    were not prepared to host the docker build environment, which IMHO makes them incomplete.
  • create minbase ubuntu trusty tarball
  • from commandline run
    $ sudo debootstrap --verbose --variant=minbase --include=iproute,iputils-ping --arch armhf trusty ./ubuntu http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/
    This will produce a ubuntu:trusty tree under the directory "ubuntu" from where you started the command.
  • modify/enhance the /etc/apt/sources.list in the tree/tarball
  • Using(copying) the sources.list from the XU3 stock ubuntu:14.04 is a good, complete start
  • create a docker image from that ubuntu minbase tree
  • Code: Select all
    $ sudo tar -C ubuntu -c . | sudo docker import - ubuntu
    This will add the tarball as an ubuntu image, tagged "latest" to your local docker repository
  • run a first test of your freshly created container
    $ sudo docker run ubuntu cat /etc/lsb-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04"
    Hopefully you'll see this as output :D
  • tweak the image, making it ready for use in further application installations
  • You normally will use a Dockerfile http://docs.docker.com/reference/builder/ to begin customizing/enhancing your base image.
    Typically, you will instruct docker to install further applications.
    During this action/stage, only the docker command is running inside the container....no services, like initd/systemd and such.
    This will make the install commands for certain applications/services fail.
    To circumvent this, you need to apply some tweaks/adjustments, described here https://github.com/tianon/docker-brew-u ... /update.sh , so do:
    $ sudo docker run ubuntu echo '#!/bin/sh' > /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d \
       && echo 'exit 101' >> /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d \
       && chmod +x /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d \
       \
       && dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl \
       && cp -a /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d /sbin/initctl \
       && sed -i 's/^exit.*/exit 0/' /sbin/initctl \
       \
       && echo 'force-unsafe-io' > /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/docker-apt-speedup \
       \
       && echo 'DPkg::Post-Invoke { "rm -f /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/*.deb /var/cache/apt/*.bin || true"; };' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/docker-clean \
       && echo 'APT::Update::Post-Invoke { "rm -f /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/*.deb /var/cache/apt/*.bin || true"; };' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/docker-clean \
       && echo 'Dir::Cache::pkgcache ""; Dir::Cache::srcpkgcache "";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/docker-clean \
       \
       && echo 'Acquire::Languages "none";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/docker-no-languages \
       \
       && echo 'Acquire::GzipIndexes "true"; Acquire::CompressionTypes::Order:: "gz";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/docker-gzip-indexes
    ..and this completes the tweaks required.
  • Now finalize your image by doing a commit to the changes from above and tag the image
  • Fetch the latest container-ID from the last run
    $ sudo docker ps -l
    and...
    use this container-id (the frist 3 digits will suffice) to commit the changes and tag the resulting, new image
    $ sudo docker commit <id> ubuntu:14.04

Step C: ...continue exploring docker

Enjoy!
Hominidae

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3, C1

Re: [Docker] lightweight virtualisation for your odroid host

Unread postby Hominidae » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:57 am

...for many users, running ubuntu, with the kernel supplied by the hardkernel team, will be the default host OS.
The actual kernel build however does not carry the proper settings to support docker.
This post tries to help fixing this.

Step A: check if your actual kernel is already enabled for docker
  • install lxc
  • Although lxc is not needed for docker (docker comes with its own implementation, called libcontainer),
    this package comes with a little tool to check/probe your kernel config.
    $lxc-checkconfig
    --- Namespaces ---
    Namespaces: enabled
    Utsname namespace: enabled
    Ipc namespace: enabled
    Pid namespace: enabled
    User namespace: enabled
    Network namespace: enabled
    Multiple /dev/pts instances: enabled

--- Control groups ---
    Cgroup: enabled
    Cgroup clone_children flag: enabled
    Cgroup device: enabled
    Cgroup sched: enabled
    Cgroup cpu account: enabled
    Cgroup memory controller: enabled
    Cgroup cpuset: enabled

--- Misc ---
    Veth pair device: enabled
    Macvlan: enabled
    Vlan: enabled
    File capabilities: enabled

Note : Before booting a new kernel, you can check its configuration
    usage : CONFIG=/path/to/config /usr/bin/lxc-checkconfig
    If you see something missing/not enabled, you will need a new kernel.

Step B: prepare a suitable kernel config and build the kernel
  • fetch a kernel build tree
  • Note: This is for kernel 3.10.y.
    The instructions are already laid out in the odroid wiki, like here for the XU3: http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... -xu_kernel
    Go to the "Linux" Section further down on that wiki page and read the part "Kernel Rebuild Guide" with the following additional steps:
    • for the git clone command, simply use "--depth 1" as an argument ..the actual argument "--depth 0", stated in the wiki is simplky wrong and will fail.
    • in build-step 2, during menuconfig, do the following config steps
      • under Filesystems entry, disable XFS
      • Kernel 3.10.y has a dependency config bug in its build tree...you won't be able to enable the next part, until you disable XFS :o
      • under General -> Namespaces, enable "User Namespaces"
      • under General -> cgroup, enable all options
      • under Devices -> Character Devices, enable "support for multiple dev/pts instances"
    • save the config
    • redo Step A, check the new config before building
      $ CONFIG=./.config /usr/bin/lxc-checkconfig
  • continue to build and install the kernel, as laid out in the wiki.
  • redo step A, after you have booted into your newly built kernel

Congrats!...you are now able to continue installing and using docker.

Remark:
There might be a shortcut to a working kernel config.
As ARCHLinux comes with an enabled kernel 3.10.y already, you can extract a config from there.
From a running ArchLinux install, do
$ zcat /proc/config.gz > .config-arch && CONFIG=./.config-arch /usr/bin/lxc-checkconfig

Now fetch the .config-arch file and inject it into step 2 of the kernel build guide.
Last edited by Hominidae on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hominidae

Unread postby hreikin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:49 am

This is great ! i dont have an XU3 only a U3, but no harm in trying ;)
hreikin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID'S - U3/SHOW/UPS/VU

Unread postby Hominidae » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:11 pm

Yes, docker should work on all odroid platforms, as no special hardware feature is required for it....it's basically a chroot envirnment "only".

As long as you enable the right kernel flags, it should do fine...make sure you're running kernel 3.8 and above.
However, I only have got a XU3, running kernel 3.10.y .... and things are a bit trickier than on x86, where all this is basically "1,2,3, go"...so I posted here.
Maybe, if others try with other odroid platforms/models, this thing can move over into the general Guide/Howto section of the forum later.
Hominidae

Unread postby suriyan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:21 am

Good work Hominidae! I had never heard of Docker before!
suriyan

ODROIDs: odroid-u2/xu-e/u3/x2/xu3/c1

Unread postby cphoton » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:24 pm

Thank you Hominidae for the steps, I had been trying to make docker run on my XU but hadn't figured it out.

For the XU, the differences are as follows:

1. XU runs on kernel 3.4.y, grab from that branch on github.
2. Regarding the modules, you don't need to disable XFS, and there are a few more modules to enable:
a. Device Drivers ---> Multiple devices driver support (RAID and LVM) ---> Thin Provisioning target (EXPERIMENTAL)
b. Network device support ---> MAC-VLAN support (EXPERIMENTAL), Virtual ethernet pair device

Tested on Ubuntu Server 14.04, will start playing with Docker and add more things here if I find any problems.
cphoton

languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: odroid-xu

Unread postby Hominidae » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:40 am

cphoton wrote:Thank you Hominidae for the steps, I had been trying to make docker run on my XU but hadn't figured it out.

For the XU, the differences are as follows:

1. XU runs on kernel 3.4.y, grab from that branch on github.
[...]

...cool thing!
Although Docker itself recommends kernel >=3.8 AFAIK.

P.S.: I am running a minidlna docker for some weeks now...family likes it :) ...and it is absolutely stable, serving music to the home. :ugeek:
Hominidae

Unread postby cphoton » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:32 am

Yeah, XU does not support 3.8 yet, not sure if it will ever be...
cphoton

languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: odroid-xu

Unread postby sihorton » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:35 am

I thought I would add to this thread the steps I took to get docker running on my odroid u2 running the ubuntu 14.04 server for odroid.

The docker.io package in the standard ubuntu repositories unfortunately did not work out of the box for me. I tried a number of solutions and in the end the simplest solution was to install the required packages from debian directly. I went to packages.debian.org and searched for docker.io. The newest packages had a lot of dependancies on newer versions of the ubuntu packages I had older installed so I found it easier to download 1.2 from snapshots.debian.org. That version just needed me to update libdevmapper1.02.1 and dmsetup. So the final commands I used were:

wget http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20141009T165324Z/pool/main/d/docker.io/docker.io_1.2.0~dfsg1-2_armhf.deb
wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/lvm2/libdevmapper1.02.1_1.02.90-2_armhf.deb
wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/lvm2/dmsetup_1.02.90-2_armhf.deb

sudo dpkg -i dmsetup_1.02.90-2_armhf.deb libdevmapper1.02.1_1.02.90-2_armhf.deb docker.io_1.2.0~dfsg1-2_armhf.deb

That gave me a working (arm) version of docker. :D

The make scripts for docker use docker itself to create a container and then build the binary within the container which means you first need a working version of docker before you can compile it, so hopefully with version 1.2 I will now be able to build the latest versions of docker.
sihorton

ODROIDs: u2

Unread postby sihorton » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:21 am

Unfortunately building the source in the standard way (http://docs.docker.com/contributing/devenvironment/) does not work as it is still expecting amd64 architecture for the build machine and container. I did some more poking around and to get the latest docker (1.3.2) working just required upgrade of the default perl packages. So the following steps installed the package and dependancies:

wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/perl/perl-modules_5.20.1-3_all.deb
wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/perl/perl-base_5.20.1-3_armhf.deb
wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/perl/perl_5.20.1-3_armhf.deb

sudo dpkg -i perl_5.20.1-3_armhf.deb perl-base_5.20.1-3_armhf.deb perl-modules_5.20.1-3_all.deb

wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/docker.io/docker.io_1.3.2~dfsg1-1_armhf.deb
wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/init-system-helpers/init-system-helpers_1.22_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i docker.io_1.3.2~dfsg1-1_armhf.deb init-system-helpers_1.22_all.deb

That gives you the steps required on a stock 14.04 ubuntu server distribution from odroid.
sihorton

Unread postby sihorton » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:09 am

I had a couple of different OS installs that I wanted to have docker running on so to save typing I created a basic script

[code]
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sihor ... install.sh
chmod +x docker-deb-install.sh
sudo ./docker-deb-install.sh
[code]

it installs the default ubuntu docker.io first and then uses wget to get the debian packages and then install them, its on github so you can get the source.
sihorton

Unread postby Hominidae » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:59 am

sihorton wrote:I thought I would add to this thread the steps I took to get docker running on my odroid u2 running the ubuntu 14.04 server for odroid.

...cool!
Thanks for sharing!

The docker.io package in the standard ubuntu repositories unfortunately did not work out of the box for me. I tried a number of solutions and in the end the simplest solution was to install the required packages from debian directly. I went to packages.debian.org and searched for docker.io.

:o ...I always thought that ubuntu 14.04 tree is always the same, everywhere and hardkernel team is just supplying a different kernel.
Edit: there maybe is something wrong with your /etc/apt/sources.list file? ...you are pointing towards the armhf ports of ubuntu, don't you?
Last edited by Hominidae on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hominidae

Unread postby Hominidae » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:05 am

sihorton wrote:Unfortunately building the source in the standard way (http://docs.docker.com/contributing/devenvironment/) does not work as it is still expecting amd64 architecture for the build machine and container.

As you already said, docker is building inside a docker container.

...and it should work just fine.

However, as docker is not aware of the architecture it is building on/for, you'll have to check and/or tweak the dockerfile that comes with the build tree.

- you'll need your own image of ubuntu:14.04 ...if you have one available local, name it exactly that way.
- docker is building GO....the architecture is somewhere in that dockerfile...you want "linux/arm".

...I am not near my XU3..I'll check later and post a suitable Dockerfile for reference.

Edit:
I just checked in git.
The Dockerfile will build GO for all known/supported architectures....this obviously assumes that the build is running on intel based machines and is able to cross-compile.
...just remove all architectures, except "linux/arm" in the Dockerfile for building GO for docker on odroid.

Edit2:
you were right, with changes in the Dockerfile mentioned above, the binary will build, but only the client will run...the daemon has a problem, as amd64 is also hardcoded in there.
Seems I've been lazy in testing it.... :mrgreen:
You'll need to remove the check in the docker/daemon/daemon.go file, in order to get a working docker daemon.
The check is in function "checkKernelAndArch" at the bottom of that file...just remove the check or comment it out....then redo a "sudo make binary" and all should build well :D
Hominidae

Unread postby kdohmen » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:10 pm

So to compile docker for an odroid I just have to follow the instructions from docker.com and change the Dockerfile and daemon/daemon.go?

Or do I miss something?
(I just started the process on a amd64 Debian VM. I will report errors and if it works for my U3 with Ubuntu 14.4 Server)
kdohmen

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: ODROID U3

Unread postby Hominidae » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:50 am

kdohmen wrote:So to compile docker for an odroid I just have to follow the instructions from docker.com and change the Dockerfile and daemon/daemon.go?

Or do I miss something?
(I just started the process on a amd64 Debian VM. I will report errors and if it works for my U3 with Ubuntu 14.4 Server)

No, these instructions are for building docker *on* your odroid...obviously you need to have another version installed.
With Ubuntu just do an "apt-get install docker.io". But I fear the 3.10.y kernel is not fully docker enabled.
You will need to build a kernel for your odroid as well, when using Ubuntu. AFAIK, using ArchLinux for the odroid should have docker support fully enabled.
At least for the XU3...Docker itself will only work with kernels >3.8

You can cross build on amd64 for arm...see: https://github.com/djmaze/armhf-ubuntu- ... on-support
Your amd64 host will have to have "qemu-user-static" installed and working...and your armhf-ubuntu docker image will need to have "qemu-arm-static" from amd64 installed.

Edit:
on ubuntu-amd64, with a working docker installation and qemu-user-static installed, follow the standard procedure *but* do a "sudo make cross" as last step. This will build the arm binaries under ./docker/bundles/1.4.1-dev/cross/linux/arm
This will enable you to run docker under arm emulation.
However, if you want to transfer that binary to your ODROID, you need to modify the ./docker/daemon/daemon.go file and remove the check for amd64 arch or it won't start.
Hominidae

Unread postby umiddelb » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:42 am

Hi

I've written a small article https://github.com/umiddelb/armhf/wiki/Installing,-running,-using-docker-on-armhf-(ARMv7)-devices
explaining how to get docker up and running on your ARMv7 device (with less hassle than I had, hopefully).
Hope you may find it useful.

Regards
Uli
umiddelb

languages_spoken: English, German
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby Hominidae » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:41 am

..cool...thanks for sharing!
Did you try it on an odroid?.. and what's the kernel version involved?
Hominidae

Unread postby umiddelb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:39 am

Hominidae wrote:..cool...thanks for sharing!
Did you try it on an odroid?.. and what's the kernel version involved?

odroid@odroid-c1:~$ sudo docker info
Containers: 0
Storage Driver: aufs
 Root Dir: /var/lib/docker/aufs
 Dirs: 0
Execution Driver: native-0.2
Kernel Version: 3.10.66-aufs
Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
CPUs: 4
Total Memory: 983.4 MiB
Name: odroid-c1
ID: 324D:YXY2:2XQP:CATB:KIQD:AFXA:UZBQ:IEPO:WSB5:3Y2R:O5QU:FRDU
odroid@odroid-c1:~$ sudo docker version
Client version: 1.4.0-dev
Client API version: 1.16
Go version (client): go1.3.3
Git commit (client): 5fa4392-dirty
OS/Arch (client): linux/arm
Server version: 1.4.0-dev
Server API version: 1.16
Go version (server): go1.3.3
Git commit (server): 5fa4392-dirty
odroid@odroid-c1:~$

I've integrated aufs support into the odroid-c1 kernel (3.10.66). The docker binary itself is linked statically, it runs on the odroid as well as on imx6 based devices (CuBox-i, Utilite) and on different linux flavors (ubuntu, arch fedora). A 3.10 kernel is OK, but a 3.14 kernel supports docker even better.
umiddelb

Unread postby Hominidae » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:41 am

....very nice indeed...I am going to try this when the next iteration for my docker images and the XU3 is due.

Thanks again for sharing!...keep up the good work!
Hominidae

Unread postby umiddelb » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:23 am

You might have seen it or not, docker will support the ARMv7 and many other platforms 'officially':
https://github.com/docker/docker/commit/7d7a002e51a1a1172f09741896f0a6c001438a49
umiddelb

Unread postby Hominidae » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:29 pm

...about time.
Good to see that commit coming from "big blue" as they have a good reputation in supporting linux and open source devs.
Hominidae

Unread postby umiddelb » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:45 pm

Docker 1.5 is released, the docker binary for ARMv7 can be found here:
https://github.com/umiddelb/armhf/tree/master/bin
umiddelb

Return to Projects