NAS with a XU4 : Performances?

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

NAS with a XU4 : Performances?

Unread postby JF002 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:26 am

Hi,

I would like to create a simple but reliable NAS with an XU4 board and the Cloudshell.
A 2To hard drive would be attached to the SATA interface cloudshell, and all the files would be stored on this hard drive.

A second 2To hard drive (in an external enclosure) would be connected to an USB port. Backup of the first hard drive would be stored on this one (periodically, once a day, for example). In this case, if any of the 2 drive fails, I always have a second copy of the files. I find this solution quite reliable, and far less expensive than a "real" NAS like Synology, for example. And I don't need a lot of funny features of these devices.

I was wondering what kind of performances I could achieve with this setup, knowing that only the internal SATA hard drive would be directly accessed from the network (Gigabit Ethernet). I don't need gigantic performances, but I would like a little more than what I get with a RaspberryPi (6-7Mo/s with Samba).
I thought that SATA and Ethernet were native interfaces, but if I understand this diagram correctly, it seems that Ethernet and SATA are internally connected to USB3. As both SATA and Ethernet shares the same internal bus, wouldn't that be a bottleneck?

What do you think about my project and the implementation? Is the XU4 a good board for this use?

Thank you very much for your answers!
JF002

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: XU4

Re: NAS with a XU4 : Performances?

Unread postby LiquidAcid » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:58 am

If you're looking for redundancy with regard to drive failure, then you should consider a RAID1 setup.
LiquidAcid

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: X2

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:17 am

I'm using the XU4 cloudshell with a 2TB HDD as well.
Yes the Harddrive is connected via USB3.0 port which is shared with the Network as well.
If you would attache another HDD to the other USB3.0 port (for backup), that would mean you reduce the over all speed once again.
I use a different approach for backup. One of my XU3s is running with a 4TB harddrive attached to USB 3.0 and is running the software backuppc. It's doing full and incremental backups, and also compresses the files. If you backup different systems that are similar (I backup different Ubuntu 14.04 LTS servers) the backuppc software will find that many of the files are the same on each system and in it's file pool only stores the files once.
This has differnt benefits.
  1. The backup is on a different machine, so even if the XU4 crashes, I can still access the data from the backup system.
  2. The files are compressed, and use less space.
  3. The file pool makes sure that the same files on different systems are only stored once, and thereby reduces overall disk usage.
  4. It automatically schedules backups, and you can set it up in a way, that it only backup when no one is using the system, or reduce priority so it does not interfere with other processes
  5. Since it's not directly attached to the XU4s USB 3.0 port, it does not reduce overall speed of the system which means overall better performance of HDD/LAN.

Speed compared to RPi is much better.
I can copy to the XU4 with over 77MB/sec (although I'm not sure if my LAN cable is limiting this, it's kinda self made^^).
Strangely enough copying from the odroid is somewhat slower, 35~60MB/sec while most of the time it's about 38MB/sec.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby JF002 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:13 am

LiquidAcid wrote:If you're looking for redundancy with regard to drive failure, then you should consider a RAID1 setup.

Mhm I don't know... First, using RAID means that I need to use a higher level platform (ready-made NAS, or x86 computer with multiple SATA interfaces) which is more expensive and power hungry.
And, I both hard drives are synchronized periodically (once by night, for example), I think that reliability should be quite good (with one day granularity).
RAID is more complex, and there is a single point of failure : what if the RAID controller dies? Will I be able to recover the data easily?

meveric wrote:I'm using the XU4 cloudshell with a 2TB HDD as well.
Yes the Harddrive is connected via USB3.0 port which is shared with the Network as well.
If you would attache another HDD to the other USB3.0 port (for backup), that would mean you reduce the over all speed once again.

It's good to see that you have already done with I'm planning to do!
The second hard drive would only be used during the periodic backup, at night, when no one would use it. Do you think that a non-used hard drive on the USB bus would slow down other device? I don't mind if the transfer between the two disks is slower, as it'll be planned to happen at night.

meveric wrote:I use a different approach for backup. One of my XU3s is running with a 4TB harddrive attached to USB 3.0 and is running the software backuppc. It's doing full and incremental backups, and also compresses the files. If you backup different systems that are similar (I backup different Ubuntu 14.04 LTS servers) the backuppc software will find that many of the files are the same on each system and in it's file pool only stores the files once.

Your approach is interesting, as you keep an historic of the data, it is compressed,... I'll think about it!

meveric wrote:Speed compared to RPi is much better.
I can copy to the XU4 with over 77MB/sec (although I'm not sure if my LAN cable is limiting this, it's kinda self made^^).
Strangely enough copying from the odroid is somewhat slower, 35~60MB/sec while most of the time it's about 38MB/sec.

NIce! What kind of hard drive do you use? Mecanic hard drive? SSD?

Thanks !
JF002

Unread postby meveric » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:27 am

Standard mechanical 2TB HDD from intenso (be careful, my harddrive was "too big" and i had to modify it to fit it in the Cloudshell)

About the second harddrive on the same device... Well the device is still registered and checked periodically. Might not be much, but i think even just having a second drive connected will drop speed (even if it might just be a little.)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby LiquidAcid » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:46 am

JF002 wrote:Mhm I don't know... First, using RAID means that I need to use a higher level platform (ready-made NAS, or x86 computer with multiple SATA interfaces) which is more expensive and power hungry.
And, I both hard drives are synchronized periodically (once by night, for example), I think that reliability should be quite good (with one day granularity).
RAID is more complex, and there is a single point of failure : what if the RAID controller dies? Will I be able to recover the data easily?

Looks like your knowledge is pretty much outdated. You neither need a "higher level platform" nor a dedicated RAID controller.

I run two RAID1 (mdadm + LUKS) here, drives are connected via SATA though. A friend has a RAID5 setup with a bunch of external 2.5" 1TB drives, all attached via USB to a single hub.
LiquidAcid

Unread postby Obihoernchen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:52 pm

See http://obihoernchen.net/1235/odroid-xu4 ... ediavault/ for some benchmark. I use usb drives only and get 80+ read/write with samba. I'm quite happy with it :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Visit My Blog (Odroid guides)
Follow me on Twitter
Obihoernchen

Unread postby JF002 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:32 am

LiquidAcid wrote:
JF002 wrote:Mhm I don't know... First, using RAID means that I need to use a higher level platform (ready-made NAS, or x86 computer with multiple SATA interfaces) which is more expensive and power hungry.

Looks like your knowledge is pretty much outdated. You neither need a "higher level platform" nor a dedicated RAID controller.

I run two RAID1 (mdadm + LUKS) here, drives are connected via SATA though. A friend has a RAID5 setup with a bunch of external 2.5" 1TB drives, all attached via USB to a single hub.

So, both drives are connected on SATA <-> USB to the board, and are mount in a RAID1 array? Yes, why not. In software RAID1, are the files accessible "as is" on anther computer (if the host board fails, can I attach one of the disk to another computer and recover the files?)

Obihoernchen wrote:See http://obihoernchen.net/1235/odroid-xu4 ... ediavault/ for some benchmark. I use usb drives only and get 80+ read/write with samba. I'm quite happy with it :)

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look!
JF002

Unread postby LiquidAcid » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:42 am

JF002 wrote:In software RAID1, are the files accessible "as is" on anther computer (if the host board fails, can I attach one of the disk to another computer and recover the files?)

Define "as is". There are no specific hw requirements to use the RAID array members, if that's your question.
LiquidAcid

Unread postby JF002 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:17 am

I might be wrong, but I think that some kind of (hardware?) RAID split the files onto several hard-drives, which makes them unreadable by anything but the RAID controller that created the files on the RAID.
In this case of software RAID1, can you disconnect one of the hard drive (when the system is powered off), connect it on any other computer and read the data directly (without RAID)?
JF002

Unread postby LiquidAcid » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:21 am

JF002 wrote:I might be wrong, but I think that some kind of (hardware?) RAID split the files onto several hard-drives, which makes them unreadable by anything but the RAID controller that created the files on the RAID.

RAID doesn't operate on file level, it operates on block level. What you mean is striping. But for RAID1 there is no striping.

JF002 wrote:In this case of software RAID1, can you disconnect one of the hard drive (when the system is powered off), connect it on any other computer and read the data directly (without RAID)?

Again, define "directly". You can assemble the RAID1 with just one drive, but of course only in degraded state.
LiquidAcid

Unread postby JF002 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:27 am

Sorry, I don't know how to express my question... Let's say that I have 2 drives in a RAID1 array on a XU4. The XU4 dies, but I want to recover the data. Can I take one of the 2 drives, connect it on my computer and see the files as if they were coming from a standard external hard drive?
Or will I need to rebuild the RAID array on another computer/XU4 with the 2 drives to be able to recover the files?
JF002

Unread postby LiquidAcid » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:18 am

JF002 wrote:Can I take one of the 2 drives, connect it on my computer and see the files as if they were coming from a standard external hard drive?

Yes, as long as you have a working mdadm environment on that system.

JF002 wrote:Or will I need to rebuild the RAID array on another computer/XU4 with the 2 drives to be able to recover the files?

No. If you connect both array members you don't need to rebuild anything. If you just connect one member you can run the array in degraded state, which isn't recommended though (at least you should assemble the RAID in read-only mode).

EDIT: This is my main RAID1, 4TB Western Digital Red drives.

Code: Select all
audioserver ~ # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sdb4[1] sda1[2]
      3903210304 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
      bitmap: 0/30 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

unused devices: <none>
audioserver ~ # mdadm --examine -v /dev/sdb4
/dev/sdb4:
          Magic : a92b4efc
        Version : 1.2
    Feature Map : 0x1
     Array UUID : b6644ad0:ada3d5f1:2b766424:ced9ca83
           Name : audioserver:1  (local to host audioserver)
  Creation Time : Fri Nov  7 18:16:59 2014
     Raid Level : raid1
   Raid Devices : 2

Avail Dev Size : 7806420623 (3722.39 GiB 3996.89 GB)
     Array Size : 3903210304 (3722.39 GiB 3996.89 GB)
  Used Dev Size : 7806420608 (3722.39 GiB 3996.89 GB)
    Data Offset : 262144 sectors
   Super Offset : 8 sectors
   Unused Space : before=262056 sectors, after=15 sectors
          State : clean
    Device UUID : 7a93a5c9:3e3cca0d:8c4c306d:75c38966

Internal Bitmap : 8 sectors from superblock
    Update Time : Tue Nov  3 22:39:16 2015
  Bad Block Log : 512 entries available at offset 72 sectors
       Checksum : 21de7c0c - correct
         Events : 28861

Device Role : Active device 1
   Array State : AA ('A' == active, '.' == missing, 'R' == replacing)
audioserver ~ # mdadm --examine -v /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1:
          Magic : a92b4efc
        Version : 1.2
    Feature Map : 0x1
     Array UUID : b6644ad0:ada3d5f1:2b766424:ced9ca83
           Name : audioserver:1  (local to host audioserver)
  Creation Time : Fri Nov  7 18:16:59 2014
     Raid Level : raid1
   Raid Devices : 2

Avail Dev Size : 7806420623 (3722.39 GiB 3996.89 GB)
     Array Size : 3903210304 (3722.39 GiB 3996.89 GB)
  Used Dev Size : 7806420608 (3722.39 GiB 3996.89 GB)
    Data Offset : 262144 sectors
   Super Offset : 8 sectors
   Unused Space : before=262056 sectors, after=15 sectors
          State : clean
    Device UUID : 99005b56:0bab823c:599d0945:3322ef46

Internal Bitmap : 8 sectors from superblock
    Update Time : Tue Nov  3 22:39:16 2015
  Bad Block Log : 512 entries available at offset 72 sectors
       Checksum : 958b0783 - correct
         Events : 28861

Device Role : Active device 0
   Array State : AA ('A' == active, '.' == missing, 'R' == replacing)

In case of any failure the system notifies me via mail.
LiquidAcid

Unread postby synportack24 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:18 am

What do you have your drives formatted as? I had a 2TB drive set up as NTFS, which killed performance.
http://magazine.odroid.com/
submit an article get cool stuff!
synportack24

languages_spoken: English, German, Korean
ODROIDs: C0, C1, C1+, C2, XU4

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:35 pm

LVM with ext4 partitions on my side :)
meveric

Unread postby JF002 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:52 am

Thanks all for all these informations!
I'm impressed by the performances of the XU4 : more than 70MO/s, where I could only achive 6MO/s with the RaspberryPi! The XU4 is a really good candidate for the project.

Now, I thinking about how I'll use the disks :
1/ 2 different board with 1 hard drive, 1 board syncing with the second one as a backup (using backuppc, rsync, rsnapshot,...)
2/ 2 drives on 1 board, manually syncing them (with backuppc, rsync, rsnapshot,...)
3/ 2 drives on 1 board in a RAID1 array.

What do you think about the reliability of these solutions? At first, I would go for the second one, which seems quite simple and reliable, and I've already used the tools (rsnapshot and rsync)
But as LiquidAcid said, RAID1 on 2 USB3.0 drives works well too. With RAID1, do I still need external backup (to be honest, I've always heard that "RAID is not backup")?
But... 1/ might be the extreme backup solution if both board/harddrives are on a different physical location!

Thanks again for your help!
JF002

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:13 am

RAID is no backup.
If you delete a file from a raid system it's gone, if you have a backup, you can still access the files.
Easierst way to see a major difference between RAID and Backup.

RAID is to avoid data loss cause of hardware failure. If a harddrive is getting old and suddenly dies, you can still access the data, replacing the faulty harddrive and continue to work, without having a downtime.
This is often very important for companies, that customers don't notice there was an error in the system.

Imagine, every time a harddrive dies on a google server, they turn off google, put in a new harddrive copy the files from a backup over, and only then they turn google back on, I guess you see what I mean^^

Often RAID AND Backups are used together.
meveric

Unread postby JF002 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:23 am

meveric wrote:RAID is no backup.
If you delete a file from a raid system it's gone, if you have a backup, you can still access the files.
Easierst way to see a major difference between RAID and Backup.

RAID is to avoid data loss cause of hardware failure. If a harddrive is getting old and suddenly dies, you can still access the data, replacing the faulty harddrive and continue to work, without having a downtime.
This is often very important for companies, that customers don't notice there was an error in the system.

Imagine, every time a harddrive dies on a google server, they turn off google, put in a new harddrive copy the files from a backup over, and only then they turn google back on, I guess you see what I mean^^

Often RAID AND Backups are used together.

Exactly what I thought... But I do not want to buy 3 hard drives (2 for the RAID and 1 for the backup)...
JF002

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:01 am

If you don't have the need of high availability and fixing the system while it's running, a normal backup is probably the best solution, since it's more flexible.
meveric

Unread postby synportack24 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:39 am

meveric wrote:If you don't have the need of high availability and fixing the system while it's running, a normal backup is probably the best solution, since it's more flexible.

There is an article in the November issue of Odroid on using cron for backup, it focuses on FTP but some of it might be useful.
http://magazine.odroid.com/
submit an article get cool stuff!
synportack24

languages_spoken: English, German, Korean
ODROIDs: C0, C1, C1+, C2, XU4

Unread postby JF002 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:44 am

I'm still thinking about this project. I was wondering what kind of USB3 hard drive I should should :
- 2x 3.5" hard drives with external power supplies
- 2x 2.5" hard drives, USB-powered by the XU4

The USB powered solution would be more energy-efficient, as only one power supply would be needed but I'm wondering if the power supply of the XU4 is strong enough to power 2 external drive non-stop?

Any thoughts?
JF002

Unread postby odroid » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:31 am

No, you need to find a 5V/6A~7A power supply.
It seems around $10~$15 in ebay or similar e-stores.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby dox81 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:47 pm

I cannot seem to find on ebay the power supply @odroid specified.
Can you help me with a link for 5V/6A~7A PS?
dox81

Unread postby nogareth » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi,

Ive Never Seen a Standard wallplug power supply with more than 4 A output at 5v. Maybe that's why you have problems in finding something. I guess you are planning to build a case around your system, so you could easily use this here :
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1323532404.html

Those industrial psu's are cheap, and probably way more durable than a fully closed plug-psu that heats up lot when under load.
Also you can get those combined with 5 and 12 volt...

Regards, Martin
nogareth

languages_spoken: english , german
ODROIDs: XU3

Unread postby odroid » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:45 pm

odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby dox81 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:38 pm

Thanks guys, I'll look over these. :)
dox81

Unread postby memeka » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:13 pm

Just to correct @meveric on an earlier post, xu4 does not share ethernet and usb3.
Ethernet has its own controller, so a hdd on USB3 will have full speed. Only a second usb3 hdd will share.
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby meveric » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:08 pm

@memeka, yes the Ethernet is connected to it's own USB3 bus, and therefore should not interfere with the USB3 ports of the board.
The XU3 was the one with the shared Ethernet/USB2.0 host, sorry my bad.
Therefore the XU3 had one USB 3.0 bus for each USB3.0 port :)
meveric

Unread postby JF002 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:36 am

Here are some feedbacks about the project!
I received the XU4, tried some distributions (Ubuntu, DetPi,...).

Ubuntu is cool, runs well, but I don't need any GUI for my project.
DietPi is very interesting, it is up to date, there are a lot of tools, utilities that are useful, and the installer takes care of all the installation procedure.
I also tried the image from the project OpenMediaVault, as I plan to use this project for my NAS.

I tried to install openmediavault on top of DietPi, but DietPi is based on Debian8, and only OMV 3 (beta) runs on Debian8... And I didn't manage to access to any share via samba using this version.
That's why I decided to use the image from OpenMediaVault, based on Debian 7.9 (viewtopic.php?f=98&t=14907).

I flashed my µSD card, and OMV runs out of the box! And after some configuration, I'm able to access to a folder on an external USB drive via Samba.

R/W speed are ~30MO/s, which is quite good knowing that the USB hard drive is an old USB 2 external hard drive. I haven't already bought newer USB3 external hard drives.

I also installed LogitechMediaPlayer on it, and it runs a lot faster than on a RaspberryPi. 2 players (squeezelite running on Rpi) are connected to it without any issue.

So far so good, this setup runs stable for 3 days now :).

The only issue I encounter is the noise of the fan. The unit is installed in my living room, and runs idle at ~50-55°C (the ambiant T° is ~20°C). But sometimes, with no reason, the fan would spin for some seconds, which is quite annoying.
And when it's not idle (network transfert, scan of the library by LMS), the fan also start and stop randomly.
For now, it's bearable, but I don't know how it'll behave in summer, where the T° can rise up to more than 30° in the room...

I've seen several posts about this issue, I'll see what I can do about that.
JF002

Unread postby nogareth » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi,

You should get rid if that stock cooler if you are planning to run 24/7 , and get a good heatpad (~6-7mk/W) along with a Northbridge heatsink like this here.
http://de.aliexpress.com/item/1-Pieces- ... cebea7c094

There are already some threads about custom cooling inside the forum like this here:
viewtopic.php?f=99&t=18695

Ifyou are only planning to use your xu4 as nas running with moderate load you can run completely passive cooled if you use a heatsink like from the link above. My xu4 already does what you are trying and with environment temperature at the moment of 15°c in my attic I am always below 30° soc temp. If that's not enough sometimes just put that heatsink in some fans airflow, and you're done.

Regards, Martin
nogareth

Unread postby JF002 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:03 am

Thanks for the link! I was searching for this kind of heatsink in local store and amazon, but found none that delivers in Belgium.
I've never used Aliexpress. Is it reliable?

I don't know if I should ask these questions here or in the other post talking about cooling issue... Just tell me if I have to change :)
As it's used as a NAS, the XU4 will be idle most of the time, and I don't really need a lot of processing power. I choosed the XU4 because of the 1Gb Ethernet and USB3, and because other users say that it handles verry good performances on eth/usb.
But if it is possible, I could try to reduce the performances (reduce max frequency, or disable some core, for example) and see if it affect network speed.

Do you think it could be possible to run 100% fanless without damaging the board? I don't care if the CPU frequency is throttled down, but I don't want to burn the unit.

I'm a little worried about changing the heatsink, as I read that I could damage the board, and create short circuits because of the different heights of the components.
Is the heatskink (or the thermal interface material between the IC and the heatsink) glued? Or are they easy to remove?
If I change the heatsink, should I leave this white sheet of thermal interface, or can I safely replace if with non-conductive thermal paste?

I know that all of this will void the warranty, but I'm trying to find the best solution to do this as safely as possible.

If someone managed to replace the heatsink, could you please give us some details about how you did it?

Thanks a lot!
JF002

Unread postby nogareth » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:51 am

Ok,

1. For Aliexpress, its somehow the Amazon of China. So yes, until now its very reliable to me . everything ive ordered was delivered - but you have to be patient. 2-4 weeks
are standard delivery time , but besides that you have a HUGE sortiment and low prices.

2. Yes , it is possible to cool your XU4 completely passive (I am doing it right now) . Just reduce the max frequency from the BIG cores from 2.0Ghz to 1.8Ghz or lower. This depends on your surrounding temperature and if the heatsink is housed in or not. But DON'T USE THERMAL PASTE!! The Exynos soc is located offset below the heatsink and it is very likely that the hs will tilt aside and touch other components below. Thats why i use a thermal pad instead of paste.

3. To remove the heatsink you'll need a small pointed-pliers to squeeze the fixing pins of the stock cooler together to remove it. That needs to be done carefully - one of them has very small components right next to it. So first push them fully through the board, squeeze them together and pull them out. After removing the pins the cooler can easily be removed by carefully twisting it a little while pulling .

Regards, Martin
nogareth

Unread postby p3p1 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi I'm looking a good configuration that maximize the NAS performance with the XU4, including in this config an additional cloned drive. I think the @meveric approach is really smart:
I'm using the XU4 cloudshell with a 2TB HDD as well.
I use a different approach for backup. One of my XU3s is running with a 4TB harddrive attached to USB 3.0 and is running the software backuppc. It's doing full and incremental backups, and also compresses the files. If you backup different systems that are similar (I backup different Ubuntu 14.04 LTS servers) the backuppc software will find that many of the files are the same on each system and in it's file pool only stores the files once.

But let us assume that I'm not interested in backuping of serveral machines or to have always access to data, can be a good solution connect to XU4 something http://www.amazon.it/WDBLWE0040JCH-EESN-Book-Hard-Esterno-Desktop/dp/B00L90DWUA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1459805180&sr=8-6&keywords=raid or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Icybox-RAID-Case-inch-SATA/dp/B00D3XZS94/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1459864503&sr=8-43&keywords=raid+enclosure or http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminum-External-Enclosure-Support-9528RU3/dp/B0185253EC/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1459864475&sr=8-29&keywords=raid+enclosure configured as RAID 1? (My aim is only have a NAS with a cloned drive)
p3p1

languages_spoken: italian

Unread postby noobs4u » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:22 am

Speeds from the USB 3.0 on the cloudshell to the PC and back don't match with the performace benchmark in dietpi-config
dietpi-test.jpg
dietpi-test.jpg (42.9 KiB) Viewed 5275 times

PC to Cloudshell/DietPi
pc-dietpi.jpg
pc-dietpi.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 5275 times

Cloudshell/Dietpi to PC
dietpi-pc.jpg
dietpi-pc.jpg (29.19 KiB) Viewed 5275 times

According to the benchmark, something isn't quite right with the transfer rate. I'm using all new cables, Gigabit Switch etc. done all the troubleshooting to rule out network hardware. Everything seems to push towards the kernel or samba. Not sure how to proceed from here.
Last edited by noobs4u on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noobs4u

ODROIDs: XU4, C2

Unread postby JF002 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:00 am

Here is a little update about my project : it is running smoothly on OpenMediaVault, and I hacked the heatsink so that I can run fanless.

Following nogareth advices, I ordered this heatsink : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-Set-Go ... 16701.html
Along with a new thermal pad : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-Piece- ... 20879.html

I was a little worried to order on Aliexpress (from China to Belgium), but the order arrived to my home without much issue (the only issue I encountered is that the tracking was not showing real information... It said that my package was rejected in an airport in China for safety reason but... it was still delivered). It took 4-5 weeks for the package to arrive. I didn't have any addition tax, fee or whatever.

Here is the result once mounted :
https://pydio.codingfield.com/data/public/c14bb7--en
https://pydio.codingfield.com/data/public/45ec66--en

A closer look to the thermal pad:
https://pydio.codingfield.com/data/public/4cb6b1--en

For now, I only have a single USB2 500GB hard-drive connected on it, but I plan on using 2 USB3 2TB in the near futur.
It reaches ~30Mo/s when transfering data from the hard-drive via Samba, and it manage to saturate my connection (100/5Mbps) while downloading from the internet.
With the stock heatsink (and closed box), it was at ~50°C idle (20°C ambiant temperature).
With this new heatsink, it is at ~40°C for the same ambiant T°.
The temperature reaches 60-70°C during heavy network activity. Just for fun, I compiled a kernel on 8 cores, but then, it reached 96° and downclocked the cpu.

For now, it is totally perfect for my use. I'll see in summer when it'll get hotter in my place... The ambiant temperature sometimes reaches 30°C in the room...

Here is the full setup:
* TP-Link WDR3600 running OpenWRt
* Odroid XU4 running Openmediavault
* An old 500GB USB2 harddrive

https://pydio.codingfield.com/data/public/56582e--en
https://pydio.codingfield.com/data/public/35c7d7--en

Now, the setup is hidden behind a clock:
https://pydio.codingfield.com/data/public/db7eaa--en
https://pydio.codingfield.com/data/public/600fd6--en
https://pydio.codingfield.com/data/public/12a979--en

It's totally invisible, and makes hardly no noise (I only hear it when the hard drive spin up).
JF002

Unread postby tmihai20 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Hello guys. I am pretty new to this. What software are you using? I was pretty set on OpenMediaVault, but now I read some reports that DietPi could be just as good for a NAS setup. I will use 1 external HDD through USB 3.0. I am getting copying speeds of 50-60 MB/s with my TV box (Q10 Pro) and I would really like to get an equally good or even better performance with the XU4. I did not receive my XU4 yet.

Edit: would a USB 3.0 2.5 inches HDD be good enough? What are you using?
Riddle me this, riddle me that
Who is afraid of the big, black bat?
I write (in Romanian mostly) on a blog (see my profile)
tmihai20

languages_spoken: english, french, italian, romanian

Unread postby DarkBahamut » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:43 pm

What do you want to do with your NAS?

If you just want a simple network share then I would just stick to stock Ubuntu, which is what I use. If you want something more advanced then you might need a different setup, however these specific NAS setups often seem to reduce performance from what I've seen.

My setup is quite optimised, but with Samba I typically get around 105MB/s send and receive to my XU4.
DarkBahamut

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:38 am

I've published a howto article in this month's odroid magazine about setting up an optimized nas with ubuntu. I wanted to centralize all the optimizations in one thread. Most of DarkBahamut's tweaks are included.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU3, C1+, C2

Unread postby tmihai20 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:01 am

I want FTP, a torrent client, Samba, maybe something else in the future. I want to know how reliable are the HDDs connected via USB 3.0. I do not need a graphical interface, the fact that OMV has web setup is really, really good. Please post here when the magazine is out.
tmihai20

Unread postby odroid » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:45 am

mad_ady's great article was already published. ;)
http://magazine.odroid.com/wp-content/u ... pdf#page=8
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby tmihai20 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:02 pm

I went through the article, I do not mind doing it manually like in the guide. What was the biggest drawback for OpenMediaVault? Because I do not really see all the benefits of 4.9 kernel if some of the kernel modules are unstable (like USB 3.0).

I did not get an answer to this question. Are you using 2.5 inches HDDs connected on USB or are you using separately powered 3.5 inches HDDs? Will the oDroid XU4 be able to get enough power to a 2.5 inches HDD with 2 TB capacity? I did not buy the external HDD yet, I can still go with a 3.5 inches HDD + separate HDD enclosure or with a 2.5 inches HDD. I did not get the separate, more powerful power adapter that is recommended with the CloudShell and I am not going to order anything else from oDroid shop, because transportation fees are too high and are not justified.
tmihai20

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:19 am

I haven't properly tested OMV. I wanted to run a general-purpose distro based off ubuntu and OMV was too specialized for my taste. If you don't want to spend a lot of time troubleshooting things then go with a specialized distro, but you might have problems installing various software later on.
Regarding disks, I've tested on a 2.5" disk, but for production I'm using a 3.5" disk in a powered enclosure. But I'm using the 6A power supply.
Regarding usb instabilities, I've heard they are mostly fixed - but I only got some USB errors on boot resulting in disks not being visible, but this was fixed with a reboot.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU3, C1+, C2

Unread postby tmihai20 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:42 pm

I got a reply from @Obihoernchen on his blog. I will get a powered USB 3.0 hub, I already have a USB 2.0 hub. I will probably go with OMV for starters, to see how it fits my needs. Thank you all for the replies and help so far :)
tmihai20

Return to Projects