Dolby Digital HDMI Pass Through

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Dolby Digital HDMI Pass Through

Unread postby virusalert » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi, I have an Odroid-U2 with Android Pocket Rocket and the only issue is it can't decode the dolby signal. I tried to use also Ubuntu and all other linux versions, but XBMC can't play correctly 1080p files.
If I'll buy a Odroid-U3 it can decode correctly Dolby signal, using Android or Linux?
virusalert

languages_spoken: english

Re: Dolby Digital HDMI Pass Through

Unread postby odroid » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:25 pm

We don't have any firm schedule to implement the pass-through feature.
Sorry!
odroid
Site Admin

ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby paaerle » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:15 pm

When playing dts-audio files, xbmc switches automaticly to audio passthrough. So I guess it's not the hardware? When playing an mkv with dts audio, it doesn't work.
paaerle

languages_spoken: english, dutch
ODROIDs: U3, XU

Unread postby RapidSummer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:26 am

Hi,
Just bought U3 to run XBMC connected via HDMI with my av-receiver 1080p movies works perfectly on android XBMC (Gotham stable android arm release) but without passthrough i cannot use it for replacing my Raspberry Pi as an HTPC. I'm quite disappointed as i spend so much money (shippment plus customs to Germany). A lot of friends are awaiting my comments/ experience with U3. They have as well Raspberry as MediaCenter and want to replace this slow machine. Are there any plans to get passthrough running? Is this a problem because of hardware limitations?

Hopefully I get a positive answer and I can replace the RPi soon. -.-

thanks RapidSummer
RapidSummer

ODROIDs: Odroid-U3

Unread postby dajohn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:58 am

RapidSummer wrote:Hi,
Just bought U3 to run XBMC connected via HDMI with my av-receiver 1080p movies works perfectly on android XBMC (Gotham stable android arm release) but without passthrough i cannot use it for replacing my Raspberry Pi as an HTPC. I'm quite disappointed as i spend so much money (shippment plus customs to Germany). A lot of friends are awaiting my comments/ experience with U3. They have as well Raspberry as MediaCenter and want to replace this slow machine. Are there any plans to get passthrough running? Is this a problem because of hardware limitations?

Hopefully I get a positive answer and I can replace the RPi soon. -.-

thanks RapidSummer

+1 (Same request here - I hope this will be resolved soon, I don't see any point of having XBMC box capable of stereo playback in HDMI age :( )
dajohn

languages_spoken: english,czech

Unread postby nexarine » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:25 am

Just to clarify...I'm also interested in being able to play back videos with DTS sound. What does this mean exactly? I won't get any sound - or I will get sound but only a plain stereo signal through HDMI? I assume "passthrough" means sending the unaltered DTS signal over HDMI to the TV (or receiver) to be decoded externally. Correct?
nexarine

languages_spoken: English & German
ODROIDs: XU Lite
8GB eMMC (Android)
Wifi module
RTC battery
Logitech k400r keyboard/trackpad
And more :-)

Unread postby odroid » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:31 pm

DTS is decoded on ODROID and down-mixed to stereo.

Unfortunately, there is no plan to support the pass-through because we have limited knowledge on that.
odroid
Site Admin

ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby schferenc » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:24 pm

odroid wrote:DTS is decoded on ODROID and down-mixed to stereo.

Unfortunately, there is no plan to support the pass-through because we have limited knowledge on that.

And this is the same for all of the "HD" sounds? I mean AC3 or True HD or so, what XBMC supports? I've tried yesterday the sound playback on my Philips HTL9100 soundbar, but in XBMC in "Passthrough output device" field, there was some error/failed text only. This means, the XU does not support any passthrough options? Really disappointed :cry:
schferenc

languages_spoken: english, hungarian
ODROIDs: Odroid XU (order, not delivered yet)

Unread postby memeka » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:54 pm

You might have success with some external sound card (USB) -- if they are supported in Linux (have drivers that support passthrough).
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby schferenc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:13 pm

memeka wrote:You might have success with some external sound card (USB) -- if they are supported in Linux (have drivers that support passthrough).

Hi,

I could manage an external sound card (Xonar U7), and it seems to be working. When I'm turning the volume knob on xonar, Android feedback to the screen the actual level of volume. However, all of the sound I can hear on the TV's speakers (I assume, due to the HDMI connection between the XU and the TV). I've installed the USBaudioTester app, and it shows, there are a lot of sound device, and one of the is the Xonar. How can I setup the Xonar as the default/primary sound device?
186627_screenshot_2014-02-22-17-35-24_2.jpg
schferenc

languages_spoken: english, hungarian
ODROIDs: Odroid XU (order, not delivered yet)

Unread postby PiSToLBR » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:36 am

With XBMC 13 for android and hdmi pass through, odroid would be the ultimate HTPC.
You guys should serious think about supporting It. Maybe some crowdfunding to make It available.
Odroid-U2
PiSToLBR

languages_spoken: english - portuguese
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2

Unread postby Carl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:59 am

Maybe Odroid dev should ask for help to openelec developpers,
with the specs of a odroid u-3 there really is not reason not to be able to support 1080p and audio and everything

In my opinion it would be a wise business move to get those things working perfectly. Like many people i bought a u3 hoping to replace the slower but better media player (rpi) and waiting to buy 7-8 more for family and friends but that will not happen in the current situation.
Carl

languages_spoken: francais / anglais
ODROIDs: odroid-u3

Unread postby KanagawaDude » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:21 pm

These are developer boards; so there is a bit of assumption the buyer knows what they're getting into before hitting the checkout button. If HK's market was entertainment, diddling with 1080p 50/60 Hz (or whatever else they use in the rest of non-civil, non-NTSC world) wouldn't even even an issue I'm sure.

That said, I haven't seen really any ARM SoC truly suitable for a HTPC. Yeah, the Raspi gets there with video, but blech, you can't do anything else with it.
KanagawaDude

languages_spoken: English, Kentucky, some Japanese
ODROIDs: XU-L, some eMMCs, SSD hookup

Unread postby mdrjr » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:45 pm

KanagawaDude wrote:These are developer boards; so there is a bit of assumption the buyer knows what they're getting into before hitting the checkout button. If HK's market was entertainment, diddling with 1080p 50/60 Hz (or whatever else they use in the rest of non-civil, non-NTSC world) wouldn't even even an issue I'm sure.

That said, I haven't seen really any ARM SoC truly suitable for a HTPC. Yeah, the Raspi gets there with video, but blech, you can't do anything else with it.

You can't ask a $59 board to do what your $2k desktop/laptop does.
Sadly what people don't even know is that 99% of their desktops doesn't have hardware acceleration for video decode.
Its just a .. fuck.. do it on CPU.

My i7 Desktop with nVidia gpu using the closed drivers does software decoding of all videos. including youtube and all the crap.

In theory ARM hardware can do almost the same but requires you to fully customize all the userland drivers.

For example take the huge effort Google had to make in order to get Flash working on the ARM Chromebook. All their work is even closed.

ARM has showed a design for a standard video decoder block, if manufacturer's adopt that block instead of this current custom madness everyone will benefit for that.
mdrjr
Site Admin

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Unread postby PiSToLBR » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:05 pm

That odroid is a developer platform and costs only $59, everybody knows that. But what supports hardkernel, isn't odroid sales ?
The HTPC community would be thrilled with the possibility. Myself would buy one unit for each TV the I own.
Odroid-U2
PiSToLBR

languages_spoken: english - portuguese
ODROIDs: Odroid-U2

Unread postby Rushingjs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:38 am

+1 Only thing stopping me from buying the U3 is HDMI passthrough for surround sound. Capture the consumer surplus Hardkernel!
Rushingjs

Unread postby schmulschubiak » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:49 am

+1, sorry, i know it's a developer board, but pass through for media center could be a killing feature!
schmulschubiak

ODROIDs: U3

Unread postby robroy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:40 am

schmulschubiak wrote:+1, sorry, i know it's a developer board, but pass through for media center could be a killing feature!

Putting 2 and 2 together (Developer Board + Media Center), this is a great opportunity for you to learn how HDMI passthrough works, and delve into what modifications might be needed to do so. All kernel code is Open Source: https://github.com/hardkernel
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article) | Donate to support new ODROID community images and software
robroy

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: 15 Odroids (Q2, X, X2 x 2, U2 x 3, U3 x 5, XU-E x 2, XU3) running Dream Machine, Quiet Giant, Kali, Particle, Whisper, Code Monkey, Smooth Groove and Pocket Rocket

Unread postby jazztickets » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:53 am

Cancelled my order because of this thread. Just sayin
jazztickets

Unread postby mdrjr » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:23 am

Its unrelated to the topic of course..
But a new Ubuntu image, due for this week will have XBMC working 1080p videos just fine.
The major issue is now fixed and there's only a single issue to be fixed now on hardware decoding that affect only a very small portion of videos on the webs.
mdrjr
Site Admin

languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Next

Return to General Chat