Arch Linux XU Image (LXDE, XBMC Libhybris, Flash, Neon)

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Arch Linux XU Image (LXDE, XBMC Libhybris, Flash, Neon)

Unread postby gripped » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:49 am

Name:
The Arch image with no name.

Features:
LXDE desktop with openbox window manager.
Chromium with working flash.
XBMC with libhybris HW decoding (mfc decoding also available as a pkg) Frodo as standard but can install Gotham.
ffmpeg with neon enabled.
vlc with neon enabled. (Bug see later)
Other small tweaks here and there that will come to me later !

Install:

Two ways:
My image or partly manually.

My Image:

Download the image
Code: Select all
wget http://odroidxu.leeharris.me.uk/xu/Arch_Linux_Hybris-0.1.img.xz

dd image to SD or emmc (tested on both). Image extracts to 3.6G so a 4G SD would just about do if you have to.
xzcat Arch_Linux_Hybris-0.1.img.xz | dd of=/dev/sdX
Where sdX is the sdcard/emmc.

Once its finished (be patient, the write cache can take a while to clear) use gparted or similar to resize /dev/sdX2 to fill the available space.
User / Passwords
root/root
odroid/odroid
Edit I need to make a new image soon but if you want the system to be the same as 'partly manually' install do the following
sudo pacman -Syu
sudo pacman -Sy pixman-neon chromium-pepper-flash-12 mesa mesa-libgl

Jump to next post

Partly manually
Follow the instructions at http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/samsung/odroid-xu to get your basic Arch arm installed.
If using an emmc card (with an XU bootloder on it) you can skip steps 1-3

ssh in as root passwd:root (nmap can be handy to find it, hostname ALARM)
nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24

Then run the following commands

Update system
pacman -Syu

Add my repo
cat >> /etc/pacman.conf <<EOF
[odroidxu]
SigLevel = Never
Server = http://odroidxu.leeharris.me.uk/repo
EOF

Install packages
pacman -Sy arj bash-completion chromium chromium-pepper-flash-12 ffmpeg-neon gpicview gvfs htop leafpad lhasa libfm libidn libpng-neon lxappearance lxappearance-obconf lxde-common lxde-icon-theme-mod lxinput lxlauncher lxmenu-data lxmusic lxpanel lxpolkit lxrandr lxsession lxshortcut lxtask lxterminal lzop menu-cache obconf openbox p7zip pavucontrol-gtk2 pcmanfm pixman-neon pulseaudio pulseaudio-alsa slim sudo unrar vlc-neon xarchiver-xz xbmc-libhybris-frodo-hyb xdg-su xf86-video-fbdev xorg-server xorg-xinit zip

Will be asked about a few packages

:: There are 7 providers available for ttf-font:
:: Repository extra
1) ttf-bitstream-vera 2) ttf-dejavu 3) ttf-freefont 4) ttf-linux-libertine
:: Repository community
5) ttf-droid 6) ttf-liberation 7) ttf-ubuntu-font-family
choose 2

:: linux-firmware-odroidxu and linux-firmware are in conflict. Remove linux-firmware? [y/N]Y
:: linux-odroid-xu-hybris and linux-odroid-xu are in conflict. Remove linux-odroid-xu? [y/N]Y

Bug in gtk2 pkg post install calls against a (mesa) library before its installed.
So
/usr/bin/gtk-query-immodules-2.0 --update-cache

This next bit sets up various config files in /etc/skel to improve the Desktop and enable lxde but also edits other files to enable autologin, fix pulse, optimize makepkg.conf, add group wheel to sudoers. I'll add the full list of commands further down. Changed files are first copied to *.orig (except those under /etc/skel .xnitrc & .bashrc)
pacman -Sy lxde-customizations

Enable slim dm
systemctl enable slim

Next step optional . I like old style logs not just the journal logs
pacman -Sy  syslog-ng
systemctl enable syslog-ng.service

Add users and groups
groupadd -r pulse
groupadd -r pulse-access
useradd -r -d /run/pulse -g pulse -G audio pulse
useradd -m -g users -G audio,video,power,network,optical,storage,disk,wheel,pulse-access -s /bin/bash odroid

Delete package cache (optional, the internet is my package cache)
pacman -Scc
Choose y & y

Set password
passwd odroid

reboot

As promised this is what the post install of lxde-customisations does
post_install() {
grep "exec startlxde" /etc/skel/.xinitrc || echo "exec startlxde" >> /etc/skel/.xinitrc
grep "export EDITOR=nano" /etc/skel/.bashrc || echo "export EDITOR=nano" >> /etc/skel/.bashrc
[ ! -e /etc/sudoers.orig ] && cp /etc/sudoers /etc/sudoers.orig
sed -i -e 's:# %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL:%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL:' /etc/sudoers
[ ! -e /etc/makepkg.conf.orig ] && cp /etc/makepkg.conf /etc/makepkg.conf.orig
sed -i 's:CPPFLAGS="-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2":CPPFLAGS="":g' /etc/makepkg.conf
sed -i 's:CFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv3-d16 -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4":CFLAGS="-O3 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a15 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=neon -ffast-math -ftree-vectorize -mvectorize-with-neon-quad -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2":g' /etc/makepkg.conf
sed -i 's:CXXFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=vfpv3-d16 -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4":CXXFLAGS="-O3 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a15 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=neon -ffast-math -ftree-vectorize -mvectorize-with-neon-quad -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2":g' /etc/makepkg.conf
sed -i 's:#MAKEFLAGS="-j2":MAKEFLAGS="-j5":g' /etc/makepkg.conf
[ ! -e /etc/pulse/default.pa.orig ] && cp /etc/pulse/default.pa /etc/pulse/default.pa.orig
sed -i 's:load-module module-udev-detect$:load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0:g' /etc/pulse/default.pa
[ ! -e /etc/pulse/system.pa.orig ] && mv /etc/pulse/system.pa /etc/pulse/system.pa.orig
[ ! -L /etc/pulse/system.pa ] && ln -s /etc/pulse/default.pa /etc/pulse/system.pa
[ ! -e /etc/slim.conf.orig ] && cp /etc/slim.conf /etc/slim.conf.orig
sed -i 's:#default_user simone:default_user odroid:g' /etc/slim.conf
sed -i 's:#auto_login no:auto_login yes:g' /etc/slim.conf
}
Last edited by gripped on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 12 times in total.
gripped

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U2 XU U3 XU3

Re: Arch Linux XU Image (LXDE, XBMC Libhybris, Flash, Neon)

Unread postby gripped » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:50 am

VLC bug
I noticed a new version of VLC just before making the image and made a new package.
Unfortunatly vlc-neon now segfaults when started.
Work around install vlc , start vlc, close vlc, install vlc-neon.
sudo pacman -S vlc
vlc
sudo pacman -S vlc-neon

now it works fine. (I'll make a new fixed image soon)

To do by installer
set locale if needed. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locale
set timezone https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Time#Time_zone
set X keyboard map https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Keyboard_Configuration_in_Xorg#Using_setxkbmap
(you can set with setxkbmap in ~/.xsessionrc , currently set to us)

If you want to compile packages you need, at the least, to install base-devel
pacman -S base-devel

Hints
When compiling PKGBUILD's or if using Yaourt to compile from AUR you will nearly always need the -A switch to ignore arch.
If you use the ABS (Arch Build System) it is a good idea to clone the ARM Arch Linux PKGBUILD's and copy them over the top every time you update the ABS tree. Some thing like.
sudo abs
git clone https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs.git
sudo cp -av PKGBUILDs/* /var/abs

As then if a PKGBUILD has been modified for ARM you'll be using it. (also the first ever time you run abs you have to run it twice)

Known issues
If you run XBMC you'll be asked for sudo (odroid) password and once given X will be killed and XBMC started. So make sure any thing needed is saved because all X programs will be killed without warning. When you leave xbmc a new X session will start. If I can improve this I will.
And see 'pacman -Syu upgrade breaks one of my modified packages' further down this post.

xbmc volume controls don't work with xbmc frodo. If you need to control the volume with xbmc (rather than your TV's remote) install Gotham
sudo pacman -Sy xbmc-libhybris-gotham-hyb

Modified Packages in my repo
(Source PKGBUILDS https://github.com/gripped/odroidxu-pkgbuilds )

All the below have been compiled with these C(XX)FLAGS unless the package itself disables them
CFLAGS="-O3 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a15 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=neon -ffast-math -ftree-vectorize -mvectorize-with-neon-quad -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"

• ffmpeg-neon - simply enabled neon
  • libhybris-hwcomposer-odroidxu - libhybris Bionic compatibility layer. Thanks hgblob
  • libpng-neon - simply enabled neon
  • linux-firmware-odroidxu - taken from an image on here, can't remember which. The standard one is missing some needed firmwares.
  • linux-odroid-xu-hybris - ARM Arch linux Kernel with additions to the config to enable Android logging needed by libhybris.
  • linux-odroid-xu-hybris-headers - headers for the kernel above
  • lxde-customizations - various config files for LXDE and other fixes mentioned earlier.
  • lxde-icon-theme-mod - the lxde icon theme, NuoveXT, has a black volume icon, can't be seen, so I replaced it with the volume icon from Faenza
  • vlc-neon - simply enabled neon
  • xbmc-libhybris-frodo-hyb - xbmc with libhybris windowing and libhybris hardware decoding . Thanks hgblob
  • xbmc-libhybris-frodo-mfc - xbmc with libhybris windowing and mfc hardware decoding . Thanks hgblob and oversun

The following packages were compiled from the AUR and added to my repo to aid installing the image manually
  • lhasa
  • pavucontrol-gtk2 (saves dragging in gtk3 as dependancy)
  • xarchiver-xz
  • xdg-su
If anyone has success or failure installing this please do let me know :)

pacman -Syu upgrade breaks one of my modified packages
With a rolling release like Arch when libraries a package depends on are upgraded then the package often needs rebuilding against the new libraries.
I do try to keep updating the packages but will sometime be behind.

You can do it yourselves though. Then you don't need to wait for me :)
Say your using xbmc-libhybris-frodo-hyb and and it stops working after a pacman upgrade

The below assumes you have the base-devel group installed. If not install it. You might have to install git as well.
pacman -Sy base-devel

download the PKGBUILD's
git clone https://github.com/gripped/odroidxu-pkgbuilds.git

change to the packages dir
cd odroidxu-pkgbuilds/xbmc-libhybris-frodo-hyb

compile and build the package
makepkg -As

Reinstall the package
pacman -U NAME_OF_PACKAGE.pkg.tar.xz
Last edited by gripped on Sat May 03, 2014 6:56 am, edited 10 times in total.
gripped

Unread postby sert00 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:37 am

Gripped,very great thing!it's greatly appreciated!i'm using arch on Xu-E,i'll try this when finish downloading! :)
2x Odroid-U2
Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
2x Emmc 16gb
Emmc 8gb
Emmc 64gb
IO-board
IO-shield
Expansion board
Wifi dongle 2\3
Gigabit LAN
Sata3 HDDock
USB3.0 OTG Adapter
Smart Power
2x UART Module
BT dongle
sert00

languages_spoken: english,italian
ODROIDs: 2*U2/XU-E/U3

Unread postby gripped » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:10 am

Hope it works for you sert00. Do let me know :D
gripped

Unread postby kibergus » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:51 am

gripped, your image is compressed int-to tar.xz. xzcat would print tar archived image. So flowing command
xzcat Arch_Linux_Hybris-0.1.tar.xz | dd of=/dev/sdX

would not create a bootable image. And adding bs=4M to dd dd arguments increases write speed.
kibergus

languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: U2 X2

Unread postby gripped » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:17 am

Cheers kibergus. Schoolboy error will be fixed in a minute. Teaches me not to use gui tools without thinking about what I'm doing :oops:

IMHO dd blocksize may make a difference on fast devices but even at the default 512 the card / emmc is going to fall behind so I don't think that matters too much. But anyone is free to add what bs they choose if they know what they are doing. Which you do. I could be wrong but I'm not concerned enough to test the difference. And 512 feels sort of right as it matches the sector size. So I rarely change it unless using count or skip
gripped

Unread postby kibergus » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:01 pm

First of all I want to thank you very much for this image. This is the first linux image which plays video at leas as good as android images. It has xbmc-pvr-addons already packaged, so it can stream channels from my satellite receiver.
I've tried both native mfc and hybris decoders. Native decoder works better for me: it can open files that hybris decoder can't, especially 1080i video. But unfortunately it fails to decode them properly: some channels arereally choppy. And discovery channel looks surrealistic: I-frames are not decoded at all, so picture corrupts in quite a beautiful way. Problem is not within XBMC because MXPlayer under android has the same behavior.

Another hints. I was unable to switch performance governor by writing "performance" to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor. But cpupower utility from following guide worked fine:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CP ... cy_Scaling

One more thing which confuses me is CPU utilization during software video decoding. In vlc and mplayer I get only two cores loaded. In xbmc I get 4 cores loaded at 50%. I can't figure out what limits framerate.
IMHO dd blocksize may make a difference on fast devices but even at the default 512 the card / emmc is going to fall behind so I don't think that matters too much.

I'm flashing emmc from U2 with microsd adapter and I get 4 Mbs with default settings and 10 Mbs with larger block size. May be MBs, nit Mbs, I don't remember.
kibergus

Unread postby sert00 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:02 pm

When i will be ready with that i'll leave a feecdback.sadly my xu doesn't boot with anything i dd to it..it's 2 days it's so.no hdmi display with arch,debian or lubuntu.
Boot-logs say it's unable to read the boot.scr,but my boot.ini is good.
I'll try this arch with boot.ini with touch lcd settings,if fails another time i'll try recover all my both emmc with xu bootloader with emmc-recovery-installer.
2x Odroid-U2
Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
2x Emmc 16gb
Emmc 8gb
Emmc 64gb
IO-board
IO-shield
Expansion board
Wifi dongle 2\3
Gigabit LAN
Sata3 HDDock
USB3.0 OTG Adapter
Smart Power
2x UART Module
BT dongle
sert00

Unread postby gripped » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:45 pm

@sert00

Have you tried checking the boot switches ? I've had a couple of occasions where they seemed to be in the correct position for emmc but the XU was trying to boot from SD or visa versa. I moved the switch back and forth and then it was OK.

@Kibergus

Glad to hear it's of use.

With the performance governor using sudo echo won't work I think. You need to be in a true root terminal session or do it from a script as root. Could that be why ?

I have this service file at /usr/lib/systemd/system/rc.local.service
[Unit]
Description=/etc/rc.local Compatibility
After=sshd.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/etc/rc.local
TimeoutSec=0
StandardInput=tty
RemainAfterExit=no

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

enabled with
systemctrl enable rc.local.service

Then you can do it from /etc/rc,local.
Arch purists don't tend to like rc.local but I find it handy.

Not sure about the cores ? I see 4 cores being used in vlc. Mplayer I found to perform the worst out of vlc , xine and mplayer.
The best software player on the harder test files I've tried is ffplay , the ffmpeg player.
Last edited by gripped on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
gripped

Unread postby robroy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 am

The best software player on the harder test files I've tried is ffplay , the ffmpeg player.

This has been my experience as well. IIRC, Xine is a wrapper for ffplay and should perform similarly.

Unfortunately, ffplay by itself isn't very user-friendly, as it requires memorizing keyboard shortcuts for full-screen, etc because of its lack of menus.

However, I've heard that ffplay can renders videos without using X, which would of course give the best performance of all.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article) | Donate to support new ODROID community images and software
robroy

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: 15 Odroids (Q2, X, X2 x 2, U2 x 3, U3 x 5, XU-E x 2, XU3) running Dream Machine, Quiet Giant, Kali, Particle, Whisper, Code Monkey, Smooth Groove and Pocket Rocket

Unread postby gripped » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:37 am

robroyhall wrote:

This has been my experience as well. IIRC, Xine is a wrapper for ffplay and should perform similarly.

Yeah Xine works quite well but I find the GUI , No matter which skin, ugly and hard to navigate. Just my opinion.
Unfortunately, ffplay by itself isn't very user-friendly, as it requires memorizing keyboard shortcuts for full-screen, etc because of its lack of menus.

However, I've heard that ffplay can renders videos without using X, which would of course give the best performance of all.

I wouldn't have thought ffplay won't work without X on the XU as it is because we have no framebuffer console etc.
gripped

Unread postby robroy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:50 am

gripped wrote:I wouldn't have thought ffplay won't work without X on the XU as it is because we have no framebuffer console etc.

The U2/X2/X got a framebuffer console a few weeks ago, maybe the -XU is next?
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article) | Donate to support new ODROID community images and software
robroy

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: 15 Odroids (Q2, X, X2 x 2, U2 x 3, U3 x 5, XU-E x 2, XU3) running Dream Machine, Quiet Giant, Kali, Particle, Whisper, Code Monkey, Smooth Groove and Pocket Rocket

Unread postby sert00 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:24 am

gripped wrote:@sert00

Have you tried checking the boot switches ? I've had a couple of occasions where they seemed to be in the correct position for emmc but the XU was trying to boot from SD or visa versa. I moved the switch back and forth and then it was OK.

@Kibergus

Glad to hear it's of use.

With the performance governor using sudo echo won't work I think. You need to be in a true root terminal session or do it from a script as root. Could that be why ?

I have this service file at /usr/lib/systemd/system/rc.local.service
[Unit]
Description=/etc/rc.local Compatibility
After=sshd.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/etc/rc.local
TimeoutSec=0
StandardInput=tty
RemainAfterExit=no

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

enabled with
systemctrl enable rc.local.service

Then you can do it from /etc/rc,local.
Arch purists don't tend to like rc.local but I find it handy.

Not sure about the cores ? I see 4 cores being used in vlc. Mplayer I found to perform the worst out of vlc , xine and mplayer.

Hi!already checked this,and with my 64gb emmc with android it boots ok...probably i messed something in both my emmc with linux.I'm working so much these days,when i'll have another couple hours free i'll try to find the root cause.So bad,i really want to try this image!
cheers guys
2x Odroid-U2
Odroid-XU-E
Odroid-U3
Lcd touch panel 10.1"
2x Emmc 16gb
Emmc 8gb
Emmc 64gb
IO-board
IO-shield
Expansion board
Wifi dongle 2\3
Gigabit LAN
Sata3 HDDock
USB3.0 OTG Adapter
Smart Power
2x UART Module
BT dongle
sert00

Unread postby gripped » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:11 am

Another thought. I messed up the first image I posted. If your still trying with that then either download and try the new one otherwise the first image needs extracting with tar -xJvf foo.img.tar.xz and then writing with dd (without xzcat).
gripped

change MAC address manually

Unread postby chanyufei » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:53 pm

I tried to change the MAC address (I need to use a different registered one to connect to the university's network) using

sudo ip link set dev eth0 down
sudo ip link set dev eth0 address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

But it returned the following error:

RTNETLINK answers: Device or resource busy

I pull out the cable but problem didn't resolve. Any idea?
chanyufei

ODROIDs: odroid-XU

Unread postby kibergus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:04 pm

MAC address is stored in /etc/smsc95xx_mac_addr. You can change it there.
kibergus

Unread postby chanyufei » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:28 pm

kibergus wrote:MAC address is stored in /etc/smsc95xx_mac_addr. You can change it there.

Thank you!
chanyufei

Unread postby chanyufei » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Another question, there is no sound for now although I can adjust the volume....I used

setenv vout         "dvi"

in my boot.ini. Is it the possible reason?
chanyufei

Unread postby odroid » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:00 pm

The DVI output mode doesn't make any sound on the HDMI port.
You can use a phone jack on the XU.
odroid
Site Admin

ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby chanyufei » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks for the quick response, odroid. Yes, I am using the phone jack (connected to my speaker).

I just played a bit with "PulseAudio Volume Control". I found that I need to change the followings to make the sound work. In Output Devices/Port, change
Speacker
to
Headphones

And then in Configuration/Profile, I need to switch between Analog Stereo Duplex and Off several times to make sound work properly.
Sorry I know it's strange but I don't know what happened here, and it is now working.
chanyufei

Next

Return to Other OS