Rob Roy, Chief Editor of ODROID Magazine

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

Rob Roy, Chief Editor of ODROID Magazine

Unread postby robroy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:35 pm

I am a web developer living in San Francisco, California, designing and building websites including Hi5, Dolby Laboratories and Hyundai. My main programming languages are AngularJS and LESS, and I enjoy camping, running, skiing and traveling.

In addition to editing the official monthly ODROID Magazine, I also develop pre-built operating systems, custom kernels and optimized applications for the ODROID platform based on Hard Kernel's official releases, for which I have won several Monthly Forum Awards:

If you enjoy my contributions to the Hard Kernel community, please consider donating an amount of your choice via the link in my signature :)

Recommended peripherals:

Last edited by robroy on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:05 am, edited 73 times in total.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)
robroy

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: Q2, X, X2, U2, U3, XU-E, XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Re: Rob Roy, Chief Editor of ODROID Magazine

Unread postby deepdivered » Sat May 31, 2014 9:11 am

deepdivered

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U3

Unread postby robroy » Sat May 31, 2014 10:57 pm

deepdivered wrote:Should you add gamestation turbo with xbmc to the list http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3145&p=40726&hilit=Gamestation+turbo#p25797

GameStation Turbo is not one of my images, it's produced by @meveric. However, I do plan to publish a master list of all available software and images in an upcoming issue of ODROID Magazine.
Rob Roy, Editor-in-Chief of ODROID Magazine (submit an article | make a donation)
robroy

Unread postby llbooth » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:03 am

>.. i'm willing to donate to get Mint 17 XFCE onto the ODROID U3. But I don't know what would be appropriate amount, as I have no idea how much work is involved.
>.. Mint 17 is derived from Ubuntu 14.4 and is a long term support version as well. BUT they plan to stay with the 14.4 Ubuntu and develope the Mint side to improve it and allow Ubuntu to go where it wants to go while Mint would remain stable as Canonical Ltd. evolves to the next stable version.
>.. I'm assuming that running on ARM is different from running on standard x86, but I have no idea what those differences are; so, I have no idea what would be an appropriate donation. Mint is free, but your work shouldn't be. And as Mint is going to change less than Ubuntu, perhaps ODROID might consider it an alternative OS for it's users.
llbooth

Unread postby robroy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:58 pm

I base my images on Hardkernel's official releases, and there hasn't been a release of ODROID Mint yet.
robroy

Unread postby deepdivered » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:41 am

i tried pocket rocket 4.4.4 and my Bluetooth dongle isent working. notice it says for official 4.4.4 that Bluetooth frame work does not work. any work around or eta on when it will work?
deepdivered

ODROIDs: U3

Unread postby robroy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:21 am

Keep an eye on the official 4.4.4 thread for new release announcements. Once the bluetooth feature has been implemented by Hardkernel, you can use the ODROID Updater utility to bring in the latest changes to Pocket Rocket without reflashing the entire image.

If you need bluetooth support right now, the workaround is to use the 4.1.2 Pocket Rocket image which has the same applications as the KitKat version. It's the version that I personally run on my ODROIDs, since it's very stable and everything works great, including Netflix and bluetooth.
robroy

Unread postby Alpha17x » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Any idea on an average for how long installs of your image(s) take for SD card install? I'm trying to gauge if there's an issue with my U3. I'm installing 4.0.3_CouchPotato-U2-HDMI-SD. Blue light is blinking and I understand that to indicate that it's installing; but it's been doing that for about 45 minutes. I'm new to the whole ODROID so I have no basis of understanding for what's considered fast or slow. I'm content to leave it sitting there for a month if it eventually installs. I just have no way of knowing what it's doing without anything displaying. They sound like they're pretty awesome to use. I ope I can get one of them working. Thanks for making them.
Alpha17x

ODROIDs: ODROID U3, ODROID SHOW

Unread postby robroy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Depending on the speed of your SD card, it can take up to a couple hours to copy an image.
robroy

Unread postby Alpha17x » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Right on. I'll just leave it going until it turns off on it's own then. Thank you.
Alpha17x

ODROIDs: ODROID U3, ODROID SHOW

Unread postby mikemoy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Rob, I just wanted to give you and your team that create the ODROID Magazine my highest complements!
I look forward to every issue. I rarely sent out complements. However your team does put out an excellent mag every month. I am not just talking about the content alone. The style, graphics and the whole package is awesome.
mikemoy

ODROIDs: ODROID-U3, ODROID-C1

Unread postby robroy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:00 am

mikemoy wrote:Rob, I just wanted to give you and your team that create the ODROID Magazine my highest complements!
I look forward to every issue. I rarely sent out complements. However your team does put out an excellent mag every month. I am not just talking about the content alone. The style, graphics and the whole package is awesome.

Thank you so much! The art editors deserve all the credit for the layout, and I will pass on your great feedback to the rest of the team.

I really appreciate your taking the time to post such a nice compliment :D :D :D
robroy

Unread postby exoticmagneto » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:02 am

Rob:

On this webpage I find many apps and OS's you have either built, or at least all these run on Odroid boards.

Can you point me to a webage that is exhaustive of all types of OS's and apps that Odroids will run on ?

I found this list for RPi gen 2 and I would like to compare: Maybe it's possible to "cross through" any ones that won't run on Odroid boards ?

Archlinux ARM,
OpenELEC[68], Pidora (Fedora Remix),
Puppy Linux[69]
Raspbmc and the XBMC open source digital media center
RISC OS – The operating system of the first ARM-based computer
Raspbian recommended for Raspberry Pi 1
The Wayland display server protocol
PiBang Linux is derived from Raspbian
Raspbian for Robots - A fork of Raspbian for robotics projects with LEGO, Grove, and Arduino
Xbian using the Kodi (formerly XBMC) open source digital media center
openSUSE,
Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix,
Slackware ARM – Version 13.37
FreeBSD[92] and NetBSD, Plan 9 from Bell Labs and Inferno
Moebius, OpenWrt , Kali Linux – A Debian-derived distro
Instant WebKiosk – An operating system for digital signage purposes (web and media views)
Ark OS – Website and email self-hosting
Minepion – Dedicated operating system for mining cryptocurrency
Kano OS http://kano.me/downloads, Nard SDK For industrial embedded systems
Sailfish OS
exoticmagneto

ODROIDs: XU3 lite

Unread postby robroy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:56 am

Nearly anything that runs on the Raspberry Pi can generally be compiled for the ODROID platform, since they are both ARMv7 boards. Just from my memory about the various operating systems that have been released on the forums in the last couple years, I wrote some notes below. It might be a nice feature for the magazine, if you're interested, to do some research and come up with a list of where to find each of the releases. Please PM me if this sounds like something you'd like to do :)

exoticmagneto wrote:Archlinux ARM - Available
OpenELEC[68]- Available
Pidora (Fedora Remix) - Available as normal Fedora
Puppy Linux - Available
Raspbmc and the XBMC open source digital media center - Available as OpenELEC
RISC OS – The operating system of the first ARM-based computer
Raspbian recommended for Raspberry Pi 1 - Available as normal Debian
The Wayland display server protocol - Available
PiBang Linux is derived from Raspbian - Available as normal Debian
Raspbian for Robots - A fork of Raspbian for robotics projects with LEGO, Grove, and Arduino - Available as ROS
Xbian using the Kodi (formerly XBMC) open source digital media center - Available as GameStation Turbo
openSUSE - Available
Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix - Available as normal Fedora
Slackware ARM – Version 13.37 - Available
FreeBSD[92] and NetBSD, Plan 9 from Bell Labs and Inferno - Available
Moebius
OpenWrt
Kali Linux – A Debian-derived distro - Available
Instant WebKiosk – An operating system for digital signage purposes (web and media views) - Available as an Android app
Ark OS – Website and email self-hosting
Minepion – Dedicated operating system for mining cryptocurrency
Kano OS http://kano.me/downloads, Nard SDK For industrial embedded systems
Sailfish OS

The ones that I haven't marked may also be available in some form, I just didn't take the time to search the forums thoroughly.

Keep in mind that a number of the operating systems that you listed were released simply because the Pi needs a scaled-down rewrite of an operating system to compensate for its single-core CPU, whereas the C1 can actually run the full version.
robroy

Unread postby I2uSH » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi Rob, i got your very fine Pocket Rocket II: Android KitKat 4.4.4 runin on my XU3, but i can´t get any connection to the Internet. I tried with a wired and wireless connection and using with or without static ip-address, can you help me what i´m doing wrong, please?

Thanks
I2uSH

languages_spoken: german
ODROIDs: XU3

Unread postby robroy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:53 pm

I2uSH wrote:Hi Rob, i got your very fine Pocket Rocket II: Android KitKat 4.4.4 runin on my XU3, but i can´t get any connection to the Internet. I tried with a wired and wireless connection and using with or without static ip-address, can you help me what i´m doing wrong, please?

Thanks

Would you mind reposting your issue on the Pocket Rocket XU3 thread, along with which Wifi dongle you are using?
robroy

Unread postby Tpimp » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:00 pm

Great work! And the Odroid Magazine is always done with quality (thank you to the whole team)! I personally am working on an image for the community. I am ready to release an early build but I have a few questions about your images.

Currently to get the image ready for distribution (viewtopic.php?f=77&t=14923).

To do this I have:
Cleaned up everything, dumped every garbage, cleaned all web history - Any other cleaning steps specifically should be done before preparing the image file?

Then to create the image file I am doing the following:

(1)Using gparted on another linux system to shrink the Odroid EXT4 partition to 6.4Gbs (leaving a about 500mb free on FS)
(2)Use windows disk imager/ DD to create a copy of the image. -> Image is 16GB because I have a 16 GB NAND.
(3)Use archive manager to compress using .xz compression.

I know that the image works to re-flash to my 16GB nand because I make backups like this all the time. But will another user be able to download this image and flash it?

Will I need a smaller (8GB) card to flash to, then copy from to generate an 8GB image file?

Also in the forum I saw a thread where you and mdrjr explain about the partition offsets and manually "inserting" the images. Is this necessary? -I'd prefer not to do that.

Edit: And any other advice you have from your experiences would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!
Tpimp

ODROIDs: U3, C1+, XU4

Unread postby robroy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:45 am

Tpimp wrote:Great work! And the Odroid Magazine is always done with quality (thank you to the whole team)! I personally am working on an image for the community. I am ready to release an early build but I have a few questions about your images.

Currently to get the image ready for distribution (viewtopic.php?f=77&t=14923).

Very nice!

To do this I have:
Cleaned up everything, dumped every garbage, cleaned all web history - Any other cleaning steps specifically should be done before preparing the image file?

If you haven't done so already, you should also remove any wireless passwords, as well as delete /home/odroid/.bash_history and /root/.bash_history. You may also want to clear the apt-get cache to reclaim some disk space.

Then to create the image file I am doing the following:

(1)Using gparted on another linux system to shrink the Odroid EXT4 partition to 6.4Gbs (leaving a about 500mb free on FS)
(2)Use windows disk imager/ DD to create a copy of the image. -> Image is 16GB because I have a 16 GB NAND.
(3)Use archive manager to compress using .xz compression.

I know that the image works to re-flash to my 16GB nand because I make backups like this all the time. But will another user be able to download this image and flash it?

Yes, as long as they have at least a 16GB eMMC module.

Will I need a smaller (8GB) card to flash to, then copy from to generate an 8GB image file?

No, you just need to add "bs=1M count=7200" to your dd command. I use 7200 to give a bit of leeway around the 6.5GB image. This should generate an image that fits on an 8GB eMMC module.

Also in the forum I saw a thread where you and mdrjr explain about the partition offsets and manually "inserting" the images. Is this necessary? -I'd prefer not to do that.

No, only if you want to convert it to another ODROID platform that uses a different bootloader.

Edit: And any other advice you have from your experiences would be appreciated as well.

Run an MD5sum command on the .xz file and upload it along with the image so that users can verify that their download is correct.

You are also welcome to write an article for ODROID Magazine introducing the features of your image and include some sample QT5 projects to get users started. PM me for details.
Last edited by robroy on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
robroy

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:38 pm

robroy wrote:No, you just need to add "bs=1m count=7200" to your dd command. I use 7200 to give a bit of leeway around the 6.5GB image. This should generate an image that fits on an 8GB eMMC module.

Be careful with that.. if your partition size is 8GB bigger (for example if you used the odroid-utility to increase the rootfs partiton to full size), you will corrupt your partition that way.
It is even possible you will corrupt the data on the image. If the partition is 16GB in size all data can be places randomly within these 16 GB and if you only take a part of it when you create an image, you might miss blocks that are outside of the part you took and damage the files that used it.
It's better to reduce partition size first, so all data is kept in a smaller area.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby robroy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm

meveric wrote:It's better to reduce partition size first, so all data is kept in a smaller area.

He already did that:
robroy

Unread postby Tpimp » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:43 am

Thanks guys for all the info and feedback! I actually even wiped the history and some of the other things rob mentioned I just didn't know about the DD trick. I will create an 8Gb capable image when I get home tomorrow.
Tpimp

ODROIDs: U3, C1+, XU4

Return to Introduce Yourself