ODROID-C3

Share here your ideas for new projects

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

Re: ODROID-C3

Unread postby hugolp » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:49 am

phaseshifter wrote:in all honesty the c-2 should have had a dual usb-3 and the dual usb-2..but that is my opp
..but they ..had it easier to make keeping most of the c1+ design work and footprint if you will..

USB3 was not included in the C2 because the chipset does not have USB3 support. It has nothing to do with keeping c1+ design.
hugolp

languages_spoken: english, catalan, spanish
ODROIDs: U2, C2

Unread postby mix » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:54 am

How about using a more common 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel plug for the 5v DC power?
mix

languages_spoken: English

Unread postby rooted » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:55 pm

mix wrote:How about using a more common 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel plug for the 5v DC power?

Not sure what the size of the XU4 barrel is but it's optimal for these small boards, the C series plug is definitely too small and fragile.
rooted

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby mix » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:38 pm

rooted wrote:Not sure what the size of the XU4 barrel is but it's optimal for these small boards, the C series plug is definitely too small and fragile.

Yeah, that is the same size of the XU4 barrel.
mix

Unread postby shuckle » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:16 pm

Micro USB is the best source for power. Easy to find and always compatible.
shuckle

ODROIDs: C1, C1+

Unread postby mix » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:50 pm

shuckle wrote:Micro USB is the best source for power. Easy to find and always compatible.

Not quite. Many micro usb cables suffer from voltage drop caused by thin, high resistance wiring. I'd also question if the cell phone charger you are probably re-purposing would reliably supply 2A for extended periods of time.
mix

Unread postby rooted » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:11 am

mix wrote:
shuckle wrote:Micro USB is the best source for power. Easy to find and always compatible.

Not quite. Many micro usb cables suffer from voltage drop caused by thin, high resistance wiring. I'd also question if the cell phone charger you are probably re-purposing would reliably supply 2A for extended periods of time.

Yep
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby ximae » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:02 pm

The way i see it the C series should be the rpi killers/clones. so it must stay in the same soc format and price range.

this for many people means better upstream kernel support with more/better hardware drivers and a better Gpio implementation, sp1 + more than just 8 interrupts.

imho this should be the basis to choose a different chipset ( or staying on amlogic). and then just get better hardware specs than hwat the c2 offers... bascially go for better cores instead of more cores and a better gpu ( with good driver support please)

even just being able to use wayland for gpu accelerated desktop and vpu accelerated video out of kodi, upstrem kernel and a better gpio implementation even if you pair it with similar specs, would already make the board a good upgrade.

I would also like to see a highend snapdragon with adreno gpu soc done aswell, though its probably gona be expensive so it would be probably more of a xu5 line soc :D
ximae

languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: c1 and c2

Unread postby hugolp » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:46 am

And right now Exynos are better than Snapdragons.
hugolp

Unread postby ekr » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:23 am

When are we going to hear about any concrete plans for future boards? I think it's about time we get some information, isn't it?
ekr

Unread postby ProfBird » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:06 am

My top request is for USB 3. Other than that, the C2 is a perfect little machine!
ProfBird

ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby OdroidC4 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:19 pm

IMHO, the C2 is one of best boards for Kodi, and has excellent ongoing development. The C2 has enough USB ports that it can eliminate a USB hub:) I like that. I hope Hardkernel will leverage Kodi support for a new C2+ with possibly better audio support (no HiFi shield required, but lower specs?), possibly more memory, faster memory, and a 5.5mm power plug instead of 2.1mm. I miss the hardware SPI on the C1+. Hoping Amlogic will come out with a Big-Little type of architecture that would support 2 cores at 2.5 GHz with better junction to case thermal properties so it does not throttle as often. They could then add another 4 to 6 cores that were clocked lower for thermal and current draw reasons. That could be a C3:)

Overall, C2 is faster than Rpi 3, just make a C2+ that increases that a bit, but not change it to drastically that it may impede software development. Beagle Bone Black shipments have been decreasing due to C series higher cost and mostly due to lack of software development. Software support is a big deal, so hardware compatibility with previous versions would help that imho:) Thank you to Odroid for including the forum on strengths and weakness's of the S912. Optional fan would be fine for a C2+, zero extra cost, optional. Also, wired Ethernet to me is important, and power consumption is also, but it is fine on the C2. Just my opinion:)
OdroidC4

ODROIDs: XU4, C1 Plus

Unread postby nobe » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:23 pm

the amlogic s912 soc might support usb3 !

here is some preliminary work from xdarklight, a mainline kernel developper :
https://gist.github.com/xdarklight/a57b ... d2a62119a5
https://github.com/xdarklight/linux/com ... 0-20161119

it this was the case, then an odroid-C3 based on s912 would be a very nice upgrade :
- more RAM support,
- more cpu cores,
- modern gpu architecture (opencl + vulkan),
- usb3 (uasp support and usb boot feature would be the "cherry on the cake")
nobe

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

Unread postby crashoverride » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:41 pm

I spotted that in LibreELEC 's Amlogic tree. However, those links make clear the model that has it:
Code: Select all
+     Enable this to support the Meson USB2 and USB3 PHYs found in
+     Meson GXL SoCs.

So while S912 may have DWC3, its only USB2 without a USB3 PHY (a USB2 PHY with a USB3 controller is still only 480mbs). It looks like the USB3 enabled chip is in the S912 family but a different variant than what we have seen so far in the wild.

Also note that this is entirely speculation on my part. I have no inside knowledge.

[edit]
While USB3 speed is an obvious advantage, I also hope that DWC3 does more in hardware than DWC2 does. It would be nice to put USB issues behind us once and for all. ;)
crashoverride

Unread postby nobe » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:02 pm

you just shattered my brand new dream :p

while reading the device tree files, i saw that :
- the gxm.dtsi file includes the gxl.dtsi one, so i guess both have the same core features
- for now, the usb3 phy code refer to usb2 phy one :(

so i think your assumption about "usb3 controller + usb2 phy combo" is true
and that would also explain why this usb3 feature was advertised in the first s912 leaks but was removed some months later...
nobe

Unread postby LordConrad » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:22 am

I hope the C-3 has a built-in RTC, I hate having to reactivate my RTC Shield every time my C-2 gets a kernel update.
LordConrad

ODROIDs: XU4, C2, C2+HiFi shield

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:40 am

LordConrad wrote:I hope the C-3 has a built-in RTC, I hate having to reactivate my RTC Shield every time my C-2 gets a kernel update.

There's an easy way to do this automatically each time a new Kernel is installed.
Just create a Kernel post-installation file:
Code: Select all
echo '#!/bin/sh
fdtput -t s /media/boot/meson64_odroidc2.dtb /i2c@c1108500/pcf8563@51 status "okay"' > /etc/kernel/postinst.d/rtc
chmod +x /etc/kernel/postinst.d/rtc
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby LordConrad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:32 am

Thanks for that. I love tinkering with the hardware, but I know very little about Linux.
LordConrad

ODROIDs: XU4, C2, C2+HiFi shield

Unread postby linuxest » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:47 pm

Is 3GByte RAM really useful and worth to pay additional $6 on C2? Do you want to buy 3GB version of C2+ at $46? ....even I think 2GB must be enough for most users.
I believe 1GB version C2-(minus) at $34 is more attractive too. Any idea about 3GB required application?
Instead of making the new C3, keep improving the software especially mainline kernel and more stable USB driver for C2 variants.
C2 is much better than rpi3. Faster CPU, RAM, ETHERNET, eMMC, UHS-sd, 4K Video, HDMI 2.0, on board IR etc.
Hardware is almost perfect. But the software supports and number of community projects are very far from rpi stuff.
linuxest

ODROIDs: 10 x XU4s
2 x C2s with HiFi-Shield 2

Unread postby meveric » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:57 pm

linuxest wrote:Is 3GByte RAM really useful and worth to pay additional $6 on C2? Do you want to buy 3GB version of C2+ at $46? ....even I think 2GB must be enough for most users.
I believe 1GB version C2-(minus) at $34 is more attractive too. Any idea about 3GB required application?
Instead of making the new C3, keep improving the software especially mainline kernel and more stable USB driver for C2 variants.
C2 is much better than rpi3. Faster CPU, RAM, ETHERNET, eMMC, UHS-sd, 4K Video, HDMI 2.0, on board IR etc.
Hardware is almost perfect. But the software supports and number of community projects are very far from rpi stuff.

I would gladly pay $6 extra for a 3GB version, RAM is often a limiting factor for me, but then again, I'm not "most users" I guess ;)
1 GB RAM version already exists, it's called a C1, and it sucks ;)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby linuxest » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:09 pm

meveric wrote:
linuxest wrote:Is 3GByte RAM really useful and worth to pay additional $6 on C2? Do you want to buy 3GB version of C2+ at $46? ....even I think 2GB must be enough for most users.

I would gladly pay $6 extra for a 3GB version, RAM is often a limiting factor for me, but then again, I'm not "most users" I guess ;)
1 GB RAM version already exists, it's called a C1, and it sucks ;)

I know well you need more RAM to compile a lot of .deb stuff. I am also using the DietPi based on your great Debian 64bit distro. :)
But you might not use all 2GB address space for normal use cases like Kodi, Web and gaming.
I have a few C0s to make some toys for my home automation with small LCDs. But I need slightly more computing power like C2. My application needs only 200~300MByte.
C0 and C1 don't suck at all even I need a new C0 style board based on the C2 platform. ;)

My wishes.
3GB : C2+ = $47
2GB : C2 as it is. =$40
1GB : C2- : C0 form factor/connectivity + 1GB RAM + with battery management like C0. =$28 (I need to buy a lot :D )
linuxest

ODROIDs: 10 x XU4s
2 x C2s with HiFi-Shield 2

Unread postby philw38 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:13 am

There’s a kickstarter project that has been launched by the Chinese company “Firefly”. They propose a development board based on the rockchip RK3399 (2xA72 + 4xA53) which is quite rich and complete in term of interfaces. It’s much more expensive than the current C2. A fully equipped C2 (the board + the PSU + 16GB eMMC) costs around 110 euros in europe, a similarly equipped firefly RK3399 is proposed at around 150$, and the 4GB/32GB costs around 200$. I’ve backed their project and have chosen the 4GB/32GB model although I need only a small part of the equipment of this board. I’d prefer a less expensive C3 - with a RK3399 or equivalent processor - with roughly the interfaces of the C2.

My needs:
- the memory (I need to manipulate large amount of audio files so 2GB is a bit short, 4GB is OK, 6GB would be the heaven ;) ),
- the cpu power (the 4xA53 are not bad at all, but the 2 additional A72 open a much larger panel of possibilities),
- a really working USB2 controller especially when used for isochronous (audio) transfers (don’t need USB3),
- an I2S controller able to manage 8 input and output channels up to 96KHz.
- an efficient and silent cooling system to avoid cpu throttling which is a killer for real time audio applications.

My use case makes a heavy usage of available cores, so the hexacore 2xA72 + 4xA53 configuration is really attractive to me. The XU4 is an interesting board with its 8 cores. it's a powerful board but the A15 are not good at delivering their power at a low temperature. The processor starts throttling allmost immediately when I run a cpu intensive program.
philw38

ODROIDs: C2, XU4

Unread postby rooted » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:44 am

philw38 wrote:There’s a kickstarter project that has been launched by the Chinese company “Firefly”. The XU4 is an interesting board with its 8 cores. it's a powerful board but the A15 are not good at delivering their power at a low temperature. The processor starts throttling allmost immediately when I run a cpu intensive program.

What makes you think this board won't throttle?
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby philw38 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:53 am

rooted wrote:
philw38 wrote:There’s a kickstarter project that has been launched by the Chinese company “Firefly”. The XU4 is an interesting board with its 8 cores. it's a powerful board but the A15 are not good at delivering their power at a low temperature. The processor starts throttling allmost immediately when I run a cpu intensive program.

What makes you think this board won't throttle?

It will certainly throttle if there isn’t an efficient cooling system. Every processor gets too hot when it is used above a certain point. But if a processor is designed to deliver a certain computation capacity we can reasonably assume that a percentage of this computation capacity can be yielded with a moderate temperature, at least thanks to an adequate cooling system, either passive or active. And if the processor is designed to moderately dissipate, then this percentage may be higher.

To give some real numbers, I ran some benchmarks on the XU4, the C2 and the Firefly-RK3288 (quad core cortex-A12 1.8Gz). The XU4 throttles very rapidly and the temperature reaches 90/95 degrees, even if the fan is running. The C2 temperature stayed around 60 degrees, the RK3288 temperature was around 72 degrees. The XU4 is about 1.5 more efficient (from a cpu point of view) while the C2 and the firefly reached nearly the same cpu efficiency. It’s important to notice - to my knowledge - that the A12 has been designed as a replacement of the A15 precisely because it is sinking too much current and dissipates too much temperature.

So my hope is that we can yield a higher cpu efficiency with the A72 for the same temperature. Anyway, I should get my RK3399 board in a few months (if their kickstarter project is funded) and then I’ll check if my “theory” is correct ... or not. By the way, this temperature problem may be present wether the future C3/XU5 uses an RK3399, an S912 or anything else. What I want to point is that containing the temperature in order to minimise - ideally to prevent - the throttling have to be an important constraint in the design of the board.
Last edited by philw38 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philw38

Unread postby rooted » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:04 am

I agree and thought maybe this SoC is in the wild and you already had some insight.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby nobe » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:29 pm

i've read about this firefly rk3399

i think this soc will probably produce quite a lot of heat
- high specs
- it doesn't seem to use finfet process node (i didn't find any info about it and marketing department would have mentionned it if it was finfet)

but the board designers were smart enough to add heatsink mount holes, so i hope cooling (passive?) it might not be that much of a challenge...

i mean you only need to pay attention to 3 things :
- choose a heatsink big enough (passive cooling tip : make sure the gap between the fins isn't too small for good air convection)
- put a good thermal interface material between the soc and the heatsink (thermal paste is usually much better than a thermal pad)
- last but not least : don't short the soc with other board chips :p
nobe

Unread postby crashoverride » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:36 am

I tried to resists posting but I couldn't! :D

I have a graveyard of "next great thing" ARM SoC boards. It really is not enough for a chip to look good on paper. It has to have high level support to be useful in real life. Anyone can set up a forum for low level support, but if the vendor is not engaged with the SoC maker for high level support, the SoC just "rots".

My all time favorite "looks good on paper" chip is the Allwinner A20.
crashoverride

Unread postby hugolp » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:27 pm

crashoverride wrote:I tried to resists posting but I couldn't! :D

I have a graveyard of "next great thing" ARM SoC boards. It really is not enough for a chip to look good on paper. It has to have high level support to be useful in real life. Anyone can set up a forum for low level support, but if the vendor is not engaged with the SoC maker for high level support, the SoC just "rots".

My all time favorite "looks good on paper" chip is the Allwinner A20.

Seriously, when you start with ARM boards you just look at the SoC specs. After you get some experience, the biggest concern is drivers support. No point on using a SoC with characteristics you can not use due to lack of drivers.
hugolp

Unread postby philw38 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:28 pm

@odroid: back to the s912.
- Is the USB controller better than the one in the S905?
- would it be possible to fit the board with more than 2GB? 3GB? 4GB?
- how does the I2S “Audio Input Unit” and “Audio Output Unit” compare to the one within the S905?
- is the linux kernel supported by Amlogic (the Android one? 3.14.xx?) able to schedule all the 8 cores simultaneously (as it is done in the XU4)?
- what is the thermal behaviour that this processor shown in your evaluation?
Thx
philw38

Unread postby lizardmech » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:00 pm

nobe wrote:i've read about this firefly rk3399

i think this soc will probably produce quite a lot of heat
- high specs
- it doesn't seem to use finfet process node (i didn't find any info about it and marketing department would have mentionned it if it was finfet)

but the board designers were smart enough to add heatsink mount holes, so i hope cooling (passive?) it might not be that much of a challenge...

i mean you only need to pay attention to 3 things :
- choose a heatsink big enough (passive cooling tip : make sure the gap between the fins isn't too small for good air convection)
- put a good thermal interface material between the soc and the heatsink (thermal paste is usually much better than a thermal pad)
- last but not least : don't short the soc with other board chips :p

it should be ok with a heatsink, it doesn't have the ram stacked on the SoC. I found that the PoP chips have very little headroom with heat, I tried cooling an XU with a peltier but the insulation provided by the ram made performance much the same as the standard cooler. Though PoP has other benefits such as less complex PCB.
lizardmech

ODROIDs: ODRIOD-XU

Unread postby bMd » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:23 am

Whatever the spec's are for the Odroid C3, one things for sure, the Odroid C3 will be a solid board and I'll be ordering on day one.

@odroid, mdrjr: Holiday season is almost upon us, can we get estimate release date? or specs preview? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bMd

ODROIDs: XU3, XU4, C1, C1+, C2

Unread postby philw38 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:29 am

+1 :)
philw38

Unread postby gunrosu » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:46 am

C3 as C2 but with:

- USB 3.x
- better form factor maybe intel STX
- bigger shell (more room for SSD or better heat sinking, no LCD please)

and please retain 64bit and fan less!
Price less than 70$.

Btw: >UP Squared< looks interesting! :roll:

Keep up the good work!
gunrosu

Unread postby rooted » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:57 pm

gunrosu wrote:C3 as C2 but with:

- USB 3.x
- better form factor maybe intel STX
- bigger shell (more room for SSD or better heat sinking, no LCD please)

and please retain 64bit and fan less!
Price less than 70$.

Btw: >UP Squared< looks interesting! :roll:

Keep up the good work!

You say less than $70, then you say the UP Squared looks interesting which is contradictory.

The least expensive UP Squared is $98.

(I do agree it's interesting)
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby gunrosu » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:49 am

rooted wrote:
You say less than $70, then you say the UP Squared looks interesting which is contradictory.

The least expensive UP Squared is $98.

(I do agree it's interesting)

I say less than $70 because of my wishes ;) and of cause the Up-squared includes more features for $98 e.g. the Up-squared Celeron includes 16GB eMMC, SATA etc.
So i think C3 should cost less than the XU5 or the Up-squared, depends on what features he gets.
gunrosu

Unread postby peba » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Happy new year !
Debugging on RK3399 boards will be fast:
http://wiki.t-firefly.com/index.php/Fir ... l_debug/en
http://wiki.t-firefly.com/index.php/Fir ... 99/UART/en

@odroid:
Can you build a bit cheaper board than the firefly guys based on RK3399 ?
The firefly board creators have populated many signals from the RK3399 SOC on connectors which is a good idea but comes for the price of an eight layer for sure expensive PCB. e.g. not every one needs a second display interface

How many PCB layers are currently used for the Odroid boards ?

Best Regards,
Peter
http://www.bitkistl.com
peba

languages_spoken: english,german
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby mtg13579 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:49 pm

odroid wrote:Normally, we don't talk about the next model publicly. But I want to share some information to hear your ideas.

We are internally evaluating the S912 performance on Android platform.
S912 CPU multi-thread performance is 1.5~1.6 times faster than S905 thanks to 4 more cores.
But single-thread performance is very identical to the S905 as we expected.

Because there are some bugs in early version of the Mali 8xx driver, we couldn't compare the GPU performance yet.
I think it must be two+ times faster than C2 S905. We will confirm it when we have a new working driver.

Anyway, because HDR/VP9 video contents are not popular yet, it is really hard to decide the brain of the next ODROID-Cx series for '2017.
We will keep improving the C2/XU4 platform software for a few months until we find a good direction.

First time poster here. I must say, I'm excited to have found the ODROID C2. As someone mentioned on the first page of this thread, I'd love to see the next generation (ODROID C3) to support High Dynamic Range (HDR), both HDR10 and HDR Dolby Vision, as I'm planning to purchase a TV that supports both types of HDR later this year. Here's hoping! Apparently HDMI 2.0b will add support for a third HDR (HLG), so I'd be interested to hear what type of HDMI 2.0a/2.0b/2.1 they plan on supporting in future versions.
mtg13579

Unread postby tchiwam » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:16 am

I'd pre pay the 6$ on my next 10 boards for the 3GB availability. Memory is the only thing holing me right now from placing the next order.
tchiwam

languages_spoken: english, French, Finnish, Greenlandic(little)
ODROIDs: 5x XU4, 3x C2, 2 cloudshell, 1 VU7, 1 VU7+, UPS1, UPS2, UPS3, USB/SATA, and many other fine bits from Odroid

Unread postby fractal » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:11 pm

mix wrote:How about using a more common 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel plug for the 5v DC power?

Agreed.

The 2.5 x 0.8 connector has the same current rating as the micro usb connector. Its only advantage as far as I see it is that people will not try to use the old charger and cable from an old phone they found in the bottom of their sock drawer with its half amp supply and thin little wire.

If you want a barrel plug, then please one that we are likely to find other places. 5V / 5A supplies with 5.5mm plugs are common. I can buy a 5.5mm plug pretty much anywhere. That 2.5 x 0.8 mm plug is uncommon.

Love the boards by the way. Not too fond of the funky power plug.
fractal

ODROIDs: C1+ C2

Unread postby crashoverride » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:14 am

The problem I see is that if the plugs are the same, then people may use the wrong power supply with the wrong board. The XU3/4/next require more current. Connecting a XU4 power supply to a C2 would work if the connector is the same, but the converse is not true. Since cost is a significant factor at the low price end, the choice of official power supply (and its connector) would impact it.

My concern lies more with there being a USB A to barrel connector available. The current plug allows me to use any compatible USB charger as a power source. I can also get a multi port charger to power many C2's simultaneously. The USB A to 2.5mm barrel connectors are readily available. I have not seen any USB A to 5.5mm connectors.
crashoverride

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:30 am

True, I strictly use USB to 2.5 and direct wire to 2.5. I would like to see 5.5mm as well, assuming we can get as appropriate USB cable also.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby fractal » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:22 am

rooted wrote:True, I strictly use USB to 2.5 and direct wire to 2.5. I would like to see 5.5mm as well, assuming we can get as appropriate USB cable also.

USB-A to 5.5 barrel are very common, in both 5.5 x 2.1 and 5.5 x 2.5. They are a couple of dollars on amazon. Cables with right angle plugs cost a couple of dollars more.

I use USB-A to micro-usb high power charge cables fed by a multi port charger as well to power multiple Odroid and other manufacturer boards. This is fine for running the board. I would have some reservations trying to USB power a hard drive or maybe run a display with that plug without verifying the voltage drop. I would be a lot happier with a 5 amp rated 5.5 mm barrel plug fed by a 2.4 amp multi port charger or 4-6 amp brick.

Hardkernel already uses a 5.5 x 2.1 for the UX4 so they have history with it. It offers marked improvement over both micro-usb and the 2.5 x 0.8 plug on the C2. That 2.5 x 0.8 plug offers little if any benefit over the micro-usb port as far as I can see.
fractal

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:51 am

Where are you getting voltage/amperage numbers on the 2.5 x 0.8 cable?
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby fractal » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:34 am

rooted wrote:Where are you getting voltage/amperage numbers on the 2.5 x 0.8 cable?

It is hard to get specs on that particular connector. It is that uncommon.

http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Power-Connectors/DC-Power-Connectors/_/N-axitt?P=1ysqst2 suggests that barrel plugs with 0.8 mm center connectors are rated at 2.0 - 2.5 amps.
fractal

Unread postby TCB13 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:50 am

My request would be (first most important ones):

- 4x USB 3.0
- Gigabit (do not drop this from the current model.)
- 4GB of RAM
- Same price
TCB13

languages_spoken: english portuguese
ODROIDs: XU4, C1

Unread postby Jojo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:59 am

TCB13 wrote:My request would be (first most important ones):

- 4x USB 3.0
- Gigabit (do not drop this from the current model.)
- 4GB of RAM
- Same price

C'mon dude... you ask for doubling the RAM, 4xUSB3.0 and same price?! I think HK did a great job by offering the C1 and the C2 for those affordable prices. To ask for even more but not willing to pay for more would be economically "risky" :roll: .
How to ask questions the smart way:
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Jojo

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: C1, C2

Unread postby campbell » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Continue to decrease idle power draw. C1+ is 1300 mW with ondemand governor, USB disabled via GPIO, and Ethernet not plugged in. C2 is 1200 mW in same configuration, and runs cooler. C3 should be same or less than C2, or at least should be able to be put into such a state by disabling things.

Keep access to all the UARTs via GPIO header :)

Onboard RTC like the C1 had, with just a coin cell header, would be nice, but not as important.

NO onboard wifi, unless it can be disabled via jumper/easily removed.
campbell

ODROIDs: XU3, XU4, C2, C1+, Cloudshell, Smart Power

Unread postby g000444555 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:50 pm

I'm waiting for the ODROID-C3 release in order to buy a bunch of them to create a cluster. Any idea whether I should expect the ODROID-C3 within the first half of 2017?
g000444555

ODROIDs: none

Unread postby meveric » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:35 am

It's not even confirmed that there will be a ODROID-C3 o_O
meveric

Unread postby g000444555 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:44 am

It's not even confirmed that there will be a ODROID-C3 o_O

Thanks for commenting. I don't really know where to look for such information. When you say it's not confirmed I guess you mean there would be some sort of an official announcement by hardkernel prior to such release, right? Does that mean that it's highly unlikely there will be a subsequent release of ODROID-C2 within 2017?
g000444555

ODROIDs: none

PreviousNext

Return to The Ideas