C1 / C2 NAS+MediaCenter

Share here your ideas for new projects

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

C1 / C2 NAS+MediaCenter

Unread postby opino72 » Sun May 01, 2016 3:19 am

Hello everyone! I'm new around here!

I would like to make a low-cost mediacenter able to read 1080p H265. So I was think about Kodi on a C2, but then comes the question of the storage!
Is it possible to connect HDDs (sATA>USB) on the C2 running as a media center AND access the files from another computer on my local network as a server? (seems a NAS is the best solution but if I'm wrong tell me)
Or would I need a second board running only as a server with the HDDs pluged in it and LAN connected? (maybe a C1 would be great, and it's cheaper)

Thank you very much for your answers! And sorry if i'm not in the good category of the forum.
opino72

languages_spoken: english, français, y un poco español
ODROIDs: I don't own any Odroid yet

Re: C1 / C2 NAS+MediaCenter

Unread postby crashoverride » Sun May 01, 2016 4:19 am

I have an external USB HDD connected to my C2. I mount it at a custom location. I then share the mount point over the network using Samba (Windows file sharing). This makes the HDD accessible to the C2 as well as other devices/PCs on the network.
crashoverride

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby opino72 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:26 am

so you think I might be able to do what I want by running Kodi and Samba at the same time on a C2? and it wouldn't slow it down?
opino72

languages_spoken: english, français, y un poco español
ODROIDs: I don't own any Odroid yet

Unread postby mattbot » Mon May 02, 2016 2:47 am

I'm just speculating, but Samba might not need much CPU power and the C2 has 4 cores. So, it might work with no problems.

But the C2 is so cheap that if there are hiccups, you could just buy a second one for storage and just have the first stream from it. That would also let you put your hard drive somewhere that you can't hear it. Gotta love the gigabit ethernet, on these things!
mattbot

Unread postby reu » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:57 am

My NAS transfers 19MB/s with 3 USB2 disks, logical volumes, Raid1 and encryption.

System load is insignificant.
I recommend `unison` for file sync.

Set up an encrypted NAS on Odroid-C2 or Rasbperry 3 with OpenMediaVault

http://getreu.net/public/downloads/doc/encrypted-raid1-nas
reu

ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

Return to The Ideas