Head Mounted Display / VR headset

Share here your ideas for new projects

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

Head Mounted Display / VR headset

Unread postby Igwarr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:09 am

Hi all

I have been playing around with Google cardboard headsets for awhile now. There cheap easy and easy to setup but overall there a really basic entry into HDM's And I've been thinking of making something a bit more suited to task while still friendly to the user budget.

On this note I got to thinking would a small SCB like the Pi or Odroid suit this criteria. There are plenty of existing display mounts we could already use and replace the smartphone with the Odroid setup.

On a basic proof of concept we would have an LCD display inside the headmount. This is connected to our Odroid running most likely Linux via hdmi and a basic sound In / Out for headphones and a mic. A battery could be added for wire free power and and air mouse could be used for basic navigation.

From my research sofar this seems like an achiveable entry point project there are plenty of online tutorials for assembling a basic OS,adding wifi, displays and the other basics to get the system running. I think though the concept can be improved by mixing in more of the boards other abalities but this is where the depth gauge drops and my new learning curve begins.

I would like to advance this by adding motion sensors for head movement tracking and a small camera ( there could be 2 for sterioscopic video recording)

Improveing the control with motion tracking gloves and a virtual keyboard is another potential project aswell as voice recognition wich i have very little experience with either.

Also were not after a high performance top of the line product here but would there be any advantages to clustering 2 boards. For example. 1 board concentrates on your main OS while the second tracks motion sensor data and feeds it to the first. I'm not expecting there to be any real reasons for a setup like that but it dosn't hurt to ask.

All thoughts critiques suggestions and tips are welcome . I realise this isnt a two day look what I made kind of thing , but would this be a good entry level project or am i planning way above my head ?

Kind regards

The Igg
Igwarr

languages_spoken: english

Re: Head Mounted Display / VR headset

Unread postby crashoverride » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:46 am

Igwarr wrote:There are plenty of existing display mounts we could already use and replace the smartphone with the Odroid setup.

It would have to be a HDMI capable display. The official Odroid HDMI display is 7" and 800x480, so its too large and too low resolution (screen door effect). GPIO based displays are too slow. Most displays are not high refresh rate capable, so be prepared to vomit a lot from motion sickness.

Igwarr wrote:I would like to advance this by adding motion sensors for head movement tracking and a small camera ( there could be 2 for sterioscopic video recording)

The MPU-9150 can be used for tracking and can be interfaced via I2C. http://www.invensense.com/products/motion-tracking/9-axis/mpu-9150/
There is not enough bandwidth and processing power to handle 2 cameras.

Igwarr wrote:would there be any advantages to clustering 2 boards.

In most cases, there would be no benefit. Device like the MPU-9150 have a DSP on board to "cook" the motion data and output a simple quaternion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion

Igwarr wrote:All thoughts critiques suggestions and tips are welcome .

If its educational value that is important to you, then proceed. Even if the project is a total failure, you will have learned WHY and will be better for it. If your goal is to be the next Palmer Luckey, then its unlikely the proposed design will be bought by Facebook for billions of dollars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer_Luckey
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby mattbot » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:16 am

Trying to build an entire VR system seems quite ambitious.

Have you considered getting an OSVR headset and focusing on building or improving just one aspect? There are already a number of specialized controllers and sensors, but the field is still young enough that there are probably ideas no one has executed successfully, or at least that aren't commercially available products.
mattbot

Unread postby JavieDel » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Spending a great deal on building a PC with your VR Headset won't be for everybody, in the event that you can set some cash aside to bulk up your machine, then your VR experience will benefit.
JavieDel

ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Return to The Ideas