Which List for Next Gem (XU5)

Share here your ideas for new projects

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

Re: Which List for Next Gem (XU5)

Unread postby rooted » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Well this is $250 so I think building a next gen board for under $200 is unlikely

http://www.inforcecomputing.com/6540-si ... mputer-sbc
rooted

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1
C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:58 pm

yeah $200 is probably too much for many people.
Still a Snapdragon based board "could" be interesting. As long as it's supported with the freedreno drivers, it could be a very interesting board.
Doesn't always have to be high end.. The U3 is still an awesome board and it the SoC is going to it's fifth year on market :)
Maybe a Snapdragon 801 or something?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby rooted » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:06 pm

The 801 has plenty of horsepower and would be less expensive.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby alpha_one_x86 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:02 pm

ARMv7 -> not for me, I need AES and SHA2 hardware acceleration.
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger
alpha_one_x86

languages_spoken: french, english, spanish
ODROIDs: 15 odroid u3, 10 odroid c1, 50 odroid c2

Unread postby indium » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:16 am

alpha_one_x86 wrote:ARMv7 -> not for me, I need AES and SHA2 hardware acceleration.

this is what arm says in its brief preview on armv8:

So even they are facing it in their preview, - if it would be so 'acceleration' as it names it, why the hell wouldn't it replace all those additional (costs) SoC "engines" (the same useless but bringing ugly problems of support btw)? It looks like those mega super acceleration instructions are kind of macros - what they really do - fuck up the whole idea of RISC intruction set. Instructions must be easy to implement, semantically elementary and run fast (in the clock cycle terms), ... yeah, this macro aes instruction in no way can execute fast or is semantically elemantary, it looks like a wrapper which translates inside into a sequence of more elemantary operations, cutting off any flexibility and possibility to improve it, like it might be with just the normal arm code. It hardly gives any acceleration because for this it would be needed a specific logic put on the silicon to do the only thing - aes round, sha calculations etc, this is the only way to be REALLY accelerated - to get a specific module for itself, some kind of ALU, with its own aes-ish (and sha-ish) logic. but doing that for the only ONE algorithm is so wasteful and up to date no one can see this amazing facts - where those numbers of badass acceleration on armv8 are? and they honestly are saying in their promo, to not expect this replacing those "engines". so, just macros translated internally into ordinary arm ops? with shiny "instructions" into ISA for the happiness of all acceleration shit lovers and pain of all purists and those who will deal with this in their job. what benefits are then with this if it's just a high level wrapping? maybe that that it pretty well serves as a snake oil for oversensible ones to that 'trends'? The same as jazelle, whithdrawn totally as a useless marketing garbage for "accelerating" another marketing garbage. which only has done the one thing - has complicated the already pretty clumsy architecture. Tomorrow sha3 sha4 aes2 will come up and all those acceleration shit would last as a waste forever in the ISA. But hey, there are also jpeg, png, tcp and udp, millions types of video decoding encoding, hell, there are even xml parsing - lets "accelerate" all this, thinking up freaking ugly instructions for every such a task. Cool! All is offloaded and accelarated. The cpu may go in its deeepest powersaving state to what it looks like is intended. In the end of the day, you get such an ugly shit instead of thinkful architecture, so heavily damaged by these viral marketing nonsense. RISC appeared exactly as a try to withdraw such an approach - representing 1000000 high level instructions for doing everything it turned it's a waste not giving any benefit. And now again - all want accelerated virtualization of accelerated cloud xml parsing.
It's the snake oil acceleration. And you seem buy it happily. It's sad. I thought users need just fast and efficient implementation of the cryptographic algorithms particularly. "Acceleration" comes from overall improvement of the next generation of the architecture, not from screwing up the ISA with oddities for taking momentarily effect. its a fake improvement. arm seems made it into armv8 only because intel has done such a stupidity before.
indium

languages_spoken: english, ukrainian

Unread postby alpha_one_x86 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:05 am

Maybe you are in right for the crypto part, for the rest I'm according. For me put into into instruction is stupid, better with a way to async and not loose cpu cycle.
My reference:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the- ... s-review/4
For my cubieboard2:
http://sunxi.montjoie.ovh/ Some old crypto into linux 4.3.
No crypto for odroid U3 into linux kernel.
C1 too expensive where you have access to ARMv8 for cheaper.
The linux kernel have specific ARMv8 crypto routine optimisation.
Developer of ImageUltracopier/ImageSupercopier and of the game ImageCatchChallenger
alpha_one_x86

Unread postby indium » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:51 pm

alpha_one_x86 wrote:Maybe you are in right for the crypto part, for the rest I'm according. For me put into into instruction is stupid, better with a way to async and not loose cpu cycle.
My reference:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the- ... s-review/4
For my cubieboard2:
http://sunxi.montjoie.ovh/ Some old crypto into linux 4.3.
No crypto for odroid U3 into linux kernel.
C1 too expensive where you have access to ARMv8 for cheaper.
The linux kernel have specific ARMv8 crypto routine optimisation.

Well, impressive numbers - 825% increase compared to 32 bit. What can anybody say against this? I only fear that this is total fake. Just read this thread http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=17882 to see, how such wild numbers appear just as a result of benchmark inconstistency or underlying misconfiguration. Just let's look at those numbers a little bit deeper. So we have Apple's A7 clocked at 1.3-1.4 GHz. Geekbench gives terrifying 846.2 MB/s AES throughput for the single threaded variant (this is 825% increase compared to some not evident from the article 32-bit counterpart). Just wow. Now, let's go in wikipedia and check out what amazing numbers the Intel's "miracle" - aesni has gotten. We know that was something. Here we are, wikipedia says that:
wikipedia the allknowing wrote:In AES-NI Performance Analyzed, Patrick Schmid and Achim Roos found, "... impressive results from a handful of applications already optimized to take advantage of Intel's AES-NI capability".[24] A performance analysis using the Crypto++ security library showed an increase in throughput from approximately 28.0 cycles per byte to 3.5 cycles per byte with AES/GCM versus a Pentium 4 with no acceleration.[25][26]

(Funny, - they compared versus Pentium 4. :mrgreen: I am typing from P4 machine btw!))
Well we have it. Just remember that last number - 3.5 cycles per (processed) byte, that's what Intel has achieved with their acceleration. It's also 700% increase by the way, but for now we just want to take the last number as a reference point. Next, considering apple's cpu running at its highest frequence - 1.4GHz (somehow wikipedia doesn't know the exact frequency of A7, is it 1.3 or 1.4 GHz, it's not strange for apple's products anyway). so we may easily calculate the analogous parameter for their implementation. So, with 846.2 MB/s of the throughput and 1.4GHz of the frequency, we have - 1.57781144 clock cycles per processed byte! (1 400 000 000 / 846.2*1024*1024). It comes out ~2.218 times faster than Intel's aesni! (if we take 1.3GHz, it gives us even more - 1.465 clock cycles per byte and 2.389 times faster than aesni). The only question here - does anyone believe those number are true. and not just weird garbage output spitted by the confused benchmark. I don't have apple's SoC to do the comparison by myself, it only leaves to believe this or not. I respect Anandtech but I don't believe such non realistic numbers. And precendents with wrong numbers in benchmarks as in the above mentioned thread only strengthen this. Also note, SHA2 which also got "accelerated" in armv8, for some reason has gotten only moderate increase of 18% in that benchmark, as opposite to the 845% of aes and 245% of sha1. This 18% look much more realistic what may be achieved from it.
Speaking of cryptoengine modules on a SoC, your links only approve how messy is to support all the imagined variety of different "engines" and their quirks. It's the same as with the support of deeply closed and not documented gpus. Only worse by even lesser degree of the actual support.
indium

languages_spoken: english, ukrainian

Unread postby crashoverride » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:43 pm

Just FYI:

The S805 in the C1 can do AES encryption/decryption without involving the CPU at all. Its integrated into the DMA engine.
http://dn.odroid.com/S805/Datasheet/S805_Datasheet%20V0.8%2020150126.pdf
page 57
Inline processing is also supported to allow data from DDR to be processed using an AES, Triple-DES or CRC module before being placed back into DDR memory.

I recall reading somewhere the S905 added SHA1/SHA2 checksumming in addition to CRC.

Nothing is faster than 0% CPU use. ;)
crashoverride

Unread postby mattbot » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:52 pm

One benefit of a HW crypto engine is power savings. That might make it sufficiently compelling for mobile SoC's. However, in the case of servers (another market addressed by ARMv8-A), it might not be justified, due to poor support by apps. It's much easier & more likely for app & library developers to add support for a standard instruction than to support various SoC-specific crypto engines. Regardless, it's a moot point, because the instructions are there.

That said, it'd be nice if this thread didn't turn into a flame about RISC purity and speculation about rigged benchmarks.
mattbot

Unread postby mattbot » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:04 pm

rooted wrote:Well this is $250 so I think building a next gen board for under $200 is unlikely

Wow, it's pico-ITX form factor!

Also 36W ("+12.0V DC Input socket (3A typ.)")?!? How does it get away with a passive heatsink? Maybe they meant to write 0.3A?
mattbot

Unread postby crashoverride » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:47 pm

mattbot wrote: It's much easier & more likely for app & library developers to add support for a standard instruction than to support various SoC-specific crypto engines.

Architecturally speaking, a DMA crypto accelerator is the superior approach: you have to transfer memory to encrypt/decrypt; so do it at the memory level. GPU's are all non-standard, but they have the same goal. In the same way all cryto hardware needs is a driver. Not using onboard crypto hardware is like not using a GPU. You can get the same job done on a CPU but its MUCH slower.

Its ironic that Linux violates the Unix principle of "do one thing and do it well". The monolithic linux kernel + drivers tries to do everything and does little of it well! :lol:

Adding and removing crypto APIs should be as trivial as adding and removing a library. Its due to the monolithic nature of linux that standards for things non-x86 do not get a chance to arise. ARM boards are not saddled by legacy hardware design dating back 30+ yrs like PCs are and can innovate with features like DMA crypto. This is relevant to this discussion as the $200 price range is PC territory ...

mattbot wrote:and speculation about rigged benchmarks.

... and there are no benchmarks measuring DMA crypto against AES-NI CPU crypto. :D

This is simply a statement of my own personal reflections on the matter. I completely understand that hardware crypto is not a solution for everyone. With the proper API design, it should be completely transparent whether your crypto is using hardware, special CPU instructions, or traditional methods. If linux got out of the way, there would be no obstacles, political or technical, preventing that.
crashoverride

Unread postby rooted » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:53 pm

mattbot wrote:
rooted wrote:Well this is $250 so I think building a next gen board for under $200 is unlikely

Wow, it's pico-ITX form factor!

Also 36W ("+12.0V DC Input socket (3A typ.)")?!? How does it get away with a passive heatsink? Maybe they meant to write 0.3A?

It's likely correct at 3A, power for the additional sensors and any connected hardware. It's not all for the CPU.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby alpha_one_x86 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:19 pm

I relie on openssl:
https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/crypto/sha.html for my sha224 (then need preampt)
BIO_new of openssl for TLS 1.2 usage.
alpha_one_x86

Unread postby alpha_one_x86 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:52 am

Exynos 7 Octa 7870 (Exynos 7870): 14 nm HKMG Is good for me, if the power and price is correct
alpha_one_x86

Unread postby stf144 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:20 am

alpha_one_x86 wrote:Exynos 7 Octa 7870 (Exynos 7870): 14 nm HKMG Is good for me, if the power and price is correct

Hopefully Samsung will release more detailed information soon.
stf144

Unread postby Girondin33 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:47 am

Nobody interested in a Dram sodim slot ?
One could use it as a RamDisk, that would preserve SSD in Cloudshell !
Girondin33

languages_spoken: french, english
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby alpha_one_x86 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:32 am

Girondin33 wrote:Nobody interested in a Dram sodim slot ?

SO-DIMM slot -> more price, worse size. In my case: NO! I wish more memory: 4GB+, but only if the price is correct, and if it don't hurt the size. Ideally 1GB by core.
alpha_one_x86

Unread postby nobe » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:39 pm

How good/bad is rockchip linux software support ?

On paper, this RK3399 soc looks quite nice.
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/02/22/ ... splayport/

If the software is decent, i wouldn't mind seing this soc in a xu5.
nobe

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

Unread postby alpha_one_x86 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:03 am

Or maybe the Helio X20; MT6797... have big.LITTLE arch. Depends of the price.
You have too: MT8173, dropping the Wireless radio technologies, all will be cheaper for better for the power usage. You need just add a ethernet chip.
alpha_one_x86

Unread postby stf144 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:35 pm

MediaTek just announced another processor that looks good:
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/02/24/mediatek-helio-p20-octa-core-cortex-a53-soc-is-manufactured-with-16nm-process-supports-lpddr4x-memory/

MediaTek Helio P20 (LP4) specifications:
CPU – 8x ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 2.3GHz
GPU – Mali-T880MP2 @ 900MHz
Memory – Up to 2 x LPDDR4X 1600MHz (up to 6GB) + 1x LPDDR3 933Mhz (up to 4GB)
Storage – eMMC 5.1 flash
Display IF – 2x MIPI DSI up to 1920×1080 @ 60fps for dual display + MiraVision 2.0 technology
Camera – Up to 24MP at 24FPS w/ZSD, 12bit Dual ISP, 3A HW engine, Bayer & Mono sensor support
Video Decode – H.264 & H.265 up to 4Kx2K @ 30fps
Video Encode – H.264 up to 4Kx2K @ 30fps
Modem – LTE FDD/TDD/R.11 Cat.6 with 2×20 CA up to 300Mbps donwnlink and 50Mpbs uplink. C2K SRLTE. L+W DSDS support
Connectivity – WiFi 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n (with MT6630), and GPS/Glonass/Beidou +Bluetooth + FM radio.
Audio – 110db SNR & -95db THD
Manufacturing Process – 16nm
stf144

Unread postby rooted » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:46 pm

That 4K @ 30fps limitation is a big downer.
rooted

C1+
C2
XU3 Lite
XU4
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby revenco_andrei » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:09 am

UFS 2.0 would be very interesting (to replace existing eMMC memory).
revenco_andrei

Unread postby crashoverride » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:27 am

In a followup to some of the discussion here, we now have a good indicator of what the price range is for the board being asked for in this thread:
http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-LeMaker-Cello
AMD Opteron A1120 quad-core Cortex-A57 processor running at 1.7GHz, 2x DDR3 SO-DIMM slots, two Serial ATA 3.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, two USB 3.0 ports, one PCI Express x16 3.0 slot

able to mount in a mini-ITX / micro-ATX chassis.

set to retail for $299 USD

That price does not include the memory, the required heatsink/fan, or a GPU.
crashoverride

Unread postby stf144 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:01 am

crashoverride wrote:In a followup to some of the discussion here, we now have a good indicator of what the price range is for the board being asked for in this thread:
http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-LeMaker-Cello
AMD Opteron A1120 quad-core Cortex-A57 processor running at 1.7GHz, 2x DDR3 SO-DIMM slots, two Serial ATA 3.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, two USB 3.0 ports, one PCI Express x16 3.0 slot

able to mount in a mini-ITX / micro-ATX chassis.

set to retail for $299 USD

That price does not include the memory, the required heatsink/fan, or a GPU.

CNXSoft also has an article on the board:
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/07/lemaker-cello-96boards-ee-board-powered-by-amd-opteron-a1120-processor-targets-server-applications/
stf144

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:57 am

I do not understand who uses these boards and what they do with them. For a lower cost I can build a PC that has more USB3 ports and more SATA ports that will likely outperform it. Is there some killer application that only runs on Cortex-A57 that I am not aware of?
crashoverride

Unread postby elatllat » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:26 pm

accelerated cryptography however it's accomplished would compel me to upgrade my XU4. USB 3.1, or 4k like the C2, would be nice but less compelling.

I would prefer odroid worked on improving software (kernel 4.4 for all, Debian Jessie for all, and drivers for the C2) instead of considering another board.
They only have so much time in the day so let's let them focus on improving the current stuff instead of pushing for more hardware.
elatllat

Unread postby hugolp » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:33 am

I would love to get DisplayPort instead of HDMI so you could have the option to chain two monitors (if there could be two video ports then it does not matter, but I am guessing that would push the price up). It would be perfect for desktop computer.
hugolp

languages_spoken: english, catalan, spanish
ODROIDs: U2, C2

Unread postby XeoSal » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:40 am

I just want to know one thing, is HardKernel still planning to continue the "XU" series containing Exynos SOCs or not? :roll:
ODROBIAN Jessie (C1/C1+/C0) (C2) (XU3/XU4) | RetroGaming Arcade (C1/C1+/C0) (XU3/XU4) | Repository (Debian/Ubuntu) (HowTo?)
XeoSal

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2 & XU4

Unread postby elatllat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:26 am

hugolp wrote:...two monitors...

did you any usb3 to hdmi adapters?
4k on the C2 is like 4 720p monitors~
elatllat

Unread postby ErDova » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:29 am

If I had to make one wish, it'd be to have more RAM, possibly via HBM.
ErDova

languages_spoken: English, Spanish
ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby alpha_one_x86 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:31 am

ErDova wrote:If I had to make one wish, it'd be to have more RAM, possibly via HBM.

According, more memory.
Impossible via HBM, no ARM founder implement it into the actual SoC
alpha_one_x86

Unread postby rupy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:51 am

Silent cooler is the only feature that is important.

Everything else is already up to spec. or will improve automatically.

USB3 is good enough for everything IO.

More RAM if 64-bit.
rupy

Unread postby hugolp » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:57 pm

elatllat wrote:
hugolp wrote:...two monitors...

did you any usb3 to hdmi adapters?
4k on the C2 is like 4 720p monitors~

Sure, but they go for like $70 which for the xu4 is doubling the price. For that price ($150-200) you can start looking at other options. Also, I have read in the specifications that the Exynos 7 (the one in the S6 and possible candidate for a hypothetical xu5) does not have DP but has capability for 3 monitors through hdmi, so I am wondering if including a second hdmi would require anything other than the connector and if it would increase the price noticeably or not.
hugolp

languages_spoken: english, catalan, spanish
ODROIDs: U2, C2

Unread postby ErDova » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:20 pm

Is there anything better for a next-gen ODROID than a Cortex A-72 4-core + a Mali-T880 MP16?

Add to that 4GB LPDDR4 @ 1333MHz, and I'm SO sold!
ErDova

Unread postby meveric » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:05 am

ErDova wrote:Is there anything better for a next-gen ODROID than a Cortex A-72 4-core + a Mali-T880 MP16?

Exynos M1 "Mongoose" or Tegra X1 are probably better, the Tegra X1 probably not when it comes to pure CPU performance, but most likely when it comes to GPU performance, it should support OpenGL not only OpenGL ES and has about 512~1024 GFLOPS compared to Mali 880 with about 256~300 GFLOPS.
SnapDragon SoCs might also be a lot faster. Adreno 530 goes up to 500 GFLOPS as well.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby ErDova » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:45 am

meveric wrote:
ErDova wrote:Is there anything better for a next-gen ODROID than a Cortex A-72 4-core + a Mali-T880 MP16?

Exynos M1 "Mongoose" or Tegra X1 are probably better, the Tegra X1 probably not when it comes to pure CPU performance, but most likely when it comes to GPU performance, it should support OpenGL not only OpenGL ES and has about 512~1024 GFLOPS compared to Mali 880 with about 256~300 GFLOPS.
SnapDragon SoCs might also be a lot faster. Adreno 530 goes up to 500 GFLOPS as well.

I should have said "at less than $100/150 price tag" :P

I know that for 600 bucks I could even buy a friggin' Nvidia Jetson X1 :P
ErDova

Unread postby meveric » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:53 pm

Cortex-A72 + Mali T880 MP 16 probably would cost around $250-300 as well, since it is extremely high end. I highly doubt you can get that anywhere for $100.
That's why I pointed out other high end devices.

For $100~150 you probably get something like a Cortex-A57 + Mali 7xx GPU.
meveric

Unread postby vbextreme » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:38 pm

I'd like to see a ODROID-Intel-64 without fan.
Price from 150 to 200 $.
much more powerful than ARM, but above all you can use the same name compiler ;)
Easy framework framework for c language
EasyGCC Color output of gcc
MagixCubic cli puzzle game
Bigt Google translate for bash with notify
vbextreme

languages_spoken: english,italiano
ODROIDs: U3,IO shields,Wi-Fi

Unread postby alpha_one_x86 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:56 pm

vbextreme wrote:much more powerful than ARM

ARM have similar or better performance for lower power.
Give a look to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_second colomn DIPS/clock cycles per second
alpha_one_x86

Unread postby ErDova » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:56 am

ARM architecture sure has fame for being extremely efficient...
ErDova

Unread postby stf144 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:41 am

vbextreme wrote:I'd like to see a ODROID-Intel-64 without fan.
Price from 150 to 200 $.
much more powerful than ARM, but above all you can use the same name compiler ;)

http://up-shop.org/4-up-boards
stf144

Unread postby alpha_one_x86 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:02 am

stf144 wrote:
vbextreme wrote:I'd like to see a ODROID-Intel-64 without fan.
Price from 150 to 200 $.

http://up-shop.org/4-up-boards

UP board 4GB RAM + 64 GB eMMC when x5-Z8350 (http://ark.intel.com/products/93361/Int ... o-1_92-GHz) Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 2 GB:
alpha_one_x86

Unread postby stf144 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:51 am

alpha_one_x86 wrote:UP board 4GB RAM + 64 GB eMMC when x5-Z8350 (http://ark.intel.com/products/93361/Int ... o-1_92-GHz) Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 2 GB:

According the designers of the Up-Board even-though the stated limit of the x5-Z8350 is 2GB, they say it is possible to have 4GB:
"Though Intel only declares 2GB RAM in the x5-Z8350 specification, it does not mean that 4GB RAM is not possible; we have done some trials by putting 2GB RAM in 1GB RAM design architecture, so we do believe 4GB* RAM is feasible and we are going to do it. It is going to be beneficial to applications which require a lot of memory resources, such as video streaming and others. (*we will verify if z8350 provides the same characteristic as z8300 to upgrade to 4GB RAM once Intel ships z8350 sample )"
http://www.up-board.org/kickstarter/scale-up-shop-up/
stf144

Unread postby vbextreme » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:16 pm

It consumes just over a C2 and just under xu4.
It would be nice to see a benchmark of c2/xu4/intel
the up board needs fan?
Easy framework framework for c language
EasyGCC Color output of gcc
MagixCubic cli puzzle game
Bigt Google translate for bash with notify
vbextreme

languages_spoken: english,italiano
ODROIDs: U3,IO shields,Wi-Fi

Unread postby stf144 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Another CPU for consideration:
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/24/nxp-introduces-qoriq-ls1046a-quad-cortex-a72-communication-processor-with-10-gbe-sata-3-0-pcie-3-0-etc/
Does not say what the max clock speed or memory limit is. It also does not have a GPU or video engine. The big question is how much will it cost?
stf144

Unread postby alpha_one_x86 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:43 am

stf144 wrote:Another CPU for consideration:
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/24/nxp-introduces-qoriq-ls1046a-quad-cortex-a72-communication-processor-with-10-gbe-sata-3-0-pcie-3-0-etc/
Does not say what the max clock speed or memory limit is. It also does not have a GPU or video engine. The big question is how much will it cost?

It's more oriented switch based usage, like banana pi r1 and fitlet X.

EZchip Tile-MX100 -> 100 Core Cortex a53
Mediatek Helio X20 -> 10 Mixed Cortex Arm core
alpha_one_x86

Unread postby mi7chy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:10 am

I'd like to see:

- Replacement at $80 price bracket with at least 20nm Exynos 5433 with 3GB DRAM

- A higher $100 price bracket with 14nm Exynos 8890 (maybe 7420) with 4GB to 6GB DRAM

Native SATA would be a big plus.

Prefer Exynos since graphics drivers are better for things like emulators vs Snapdragon.

Priced any higher than about $120 and it gets heated competition from the likes of Up Board.

http://www.up-board.org/
mi7chy

Future XU5

Unread postby nobe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:20 pm

meveric wrote:Cortex-A72 + Mali T880 MP 16 probably would cost around $250-300 as well, since it is extremely high end. I highly doubt you can get that anywhere for $100.
That's why I pointed out other high end devices.

For $100~150 you probably get something like a Cortex-A57 + Mali 7xx GPU.

According to cnx-software, there will soon be some smartphones featuring helio x20 selling for 170 - 200$

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/04/07/ ... o-x20-soc/
So if you put that soc in dev board instead, it might be not as costly as you thought.
But the main problem is still the same, what about software support ?
nobe

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

Unread postby phaseshifter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:56 pm

i think a lot of op`s are missing the point of the whole idea surrounding these boards low powered boards with processor power

i think the A57 or similar cpu is in line with this topic really ..the a-72 is very attractive but at a cost from what i can see here

i would like to see 4G ddr ram and more usb3 ports and either optical audio support..well high end audio support as the c-series has

sata support..although we have been managing with usb support for hdd`s..hence the reason for extra usb 3 ports..

sata ports also bring in a new factor from the generic power supply`s having also to power a sata hdd/s so the power supply would adequate to power the drive/s as well as still

once again it comes back to cost and these boards have to balance the factor into mind
phaseshifter

ODROIDs: opp sys.. ubuntu ..c1+ ..c-2..xu3 ,xu4...
acc`s vu7,c-shell ,uart,hi-fi ,,hi-fi2,,show,w-board,6x16GB emmc`s 3.5 inch touch...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread postby lizardmech » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:39 pm

This company has SD820 board. More development aimed though. Wish there was a SD820 or exynos 8 in odroid form factor. Looks like the SD820 has some pcie lanes as well.
https://eragon.einfochips.com/products/ ... 0-200.html
lizardmech

ODROIDs: ODRIOD-XU

PreviousNext

Return to The Ideas