Learning how to use an oscilloscope

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Learning how to use an oscilloscope

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:23 pm

I'm ashamed to admit it, but it seems I forgot most of what I've learned 15 years ago in college in the Electrical and Electronic Measurements class I took. I only remember that they said that the Oscilloscope is the Electronic Engineer's best friend. :)

Can anyone recommend a (video?) course on how to operate an oscilloscope, maybe specifically tailored to the xprotolab's GUI interface?

For now I've managed to play a bit with the interface and the signal generators, I was able to use it as a digital multimeter for voltages (although it didn't measure 12VDC for some reason), but I am interested in using it to sniff/record signals from low speed interfaces, such as UART and maybe hook it up to an IR receiver diode and sniff out what gets received. Also, are there ways to use it as a multimeter (reading impedances/voltages/currents)?
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU3, C1+, C2

Re: Learning how to use an oscilloscope

Unread postby odroid » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:02 pm

This is the best document expains how the oscilloscope works.
http://web.mit.edu/6.131/www/document/tektronix.pdf

If you also want to learn how the protocol analyzer or signal sniffer works, look into the UART interface specification first.
And just use the UART protocol tab window on the GUI, it will show you the data stream waveform as well as Hex-Decimal values for easier monitoring.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Return to Xprotolab (Xscope)