[OS] Debian Jessie (arm64)

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie (arm64)

Unread postby yuhany » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:38 am

My C2+kodi+LG TV of CEC works well, but usable TV remote constller bottons are limited(seven bottons:left,right,up,down,OK,cancel).
I wish I had more buttons available.(Play,Stop,Red,Green....).
yuhany

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+ & C2

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:15 am

I'd suggest to use lirc and setup your remote as a IR remote rather than using CEC, that way you can configure as many buttons as you like.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby best_odroidfreak » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:31 am

meveric wrote:realtime Kernel for Odroid C2.

Since a while ago, the stock Linux kernel has proven to be adequate for realtime uses. The stock kernel (with CONFIG_PREEMPT=y, default in Debian) can operate with a worst case latency of upto 10ms (time between the moment an interrupt occurs in hardware, and the moment the corresponding interrupt-thread gets running), although some device drivers can introduce latency much worse than that. So depending on your hardware and driver (and requirement), you might want a kernel with hard realtime capabilities. The RT_PREEPMT patch by Ingo Molnar and Thomas Gleixner is an interesting option for hard and firm realtime applications, reaching from professional audio to industrial control. Most audio-specific distro Linux ships with this patch applied. A realtime-preemptible kernel will also make it possible to tweak priorities of IRQ handling threads and help ensure smooth audio almost regardless of the load.
Please explain if Debian/Ubuntu 64 for Odroid has this patch for best sound quality yet?
See those links :
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... _rt_kernel
http://pengutronix.de/software/linux-rt/debian_en.html
https://lwn.net/Articles/445417/
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/com ... 51f09cc220
best_odroidfreak

Unread postby meveric » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:01 am

Default Kernel/Config from HardKernel has no RT patches activated.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby best_odroidfreak » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:48 am

meveric wrote:Default Kernel/Config from HardKernel has no RT patches activated.

Would you so kind as to activate RT patches in your Debian 64 image for Odroid c2?
best_odroidfreak

Unread postby meveric » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:39 am

the image has nothing to do with it.. It's a Kernel feature, and no I don't have any plans for doing that on the moment.
Maybe at a later point in time I might add alternative RT Kernel builds, but only a few people want them at the moment, and it's only useful in very few cases.
meveric

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie (arm64) md5?

Unread postby supervisorerror » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Where is the sha256sum for this file? Where is the md5sum for this file? Don't most tech savvy websites put a md5sum/sha256sum/sha512sum with the image to make sure all the 1s and 0s are there?
supervisorerror

ODROIDs: u2 c1

Unread postby odroid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:35 pm

@supervisorerror
The md5sum values are available in the same location.
http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/Jessie/
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby best_odroidfreak » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:48 pm

meveric wrote:the image has nothing to do with it.. It's a Kernel feature, and no I don't have any plans for doing that on the moment.
Maybe at a later point in time I might add alternative RT Kernel builds, but only a few people want them at the moment, and it's only useful in very few cases.

Many people interested to use Odroid C2 for HiFi music streaming and watching TV.

Please explain if I can follow this guide to increase volume controls at max. Can I use ALSA plugin as preamlifier?
FIX: Enable the alsa pre-amp.
1) Edit/Create /etc/asound.conf and add
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "softvol"
}
pcm.softvol {
type softvol
slave {
pcm "dmix:1,0"
}
control {
name "Pre-Amp"
card 1
}
min_dB -5.0
max_dB 20.0
resolution 6
}
WHERE: “dmix:1,0” is card 1 and device 0
2) Reboot
3) After you reboot a PREAMP control is supposed to appear in your mixer controls but, it doesn't due to a quirk. To get it to appear, open and close a media player (mplayer, dragon player or etc.). After you do this, it should appear in the mixer (you may have to SELECT CONTROLS to see it). When you reboot, it will disappear again until you open a media player. To make it 'stick', set your alsa volumes to where you want and run “alsactl store”. The PREAMP controls should appear normally after that.
best_odroidfreak

Unread postby meveric » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:04 pm

best_odroidfreak wrote:Many people interested to use Odroid C2 for HiFi music streaming and watching TV.

No they are not; YOU are, and YOU are not many! And writing a sentence in bold doesn't make it true.

best_odroidfreak wrote:Please explain if I can follow this guide to increase volume controls at max. Can I use ALSA plugin as preamlifier?

No clue, try it and see if it works.
meveric

Unread postby best_odroidfreak » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:00 pm

meveric wrote:
best_odroidfreak wrote:Many people interested to use Odroid C2 for HiFi music streaming and watching TV.

No they are not; YOU are, and YOU are not many! And writing a sentence in bold doesn't make it true.

Please see a topics about best Bit-Perfect Audio Player for $70
http://www.head-fi.org/t/795895/a-70-bi ... dio-player
http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/why-odro ... t3141.html
http://hackaday.com/2016/03/02/odroid-c ... eral-ways/
best_odroidfreak

Unread postby meveric » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:28 pm

First link is mainly about RPi not ODROIDs.
Second link is about ODROID C1+ not the ODROID C2.
Third link is about C2 being better in several things as the RPi3.

None of the links has anything to do with using or demanding ODROID C2 as a "bit-perfect" Audio player.
meveric

Unread postby best_odroidfreak » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:18 pm

meveric wrote:First link is mainly about RPi not ODROIDs.
Second link is about ODROID C1+ not the ODROID C2.
Third link is about C2 being better in several things as the RPi3.

None of the links has anything to do with using or demanding ODROID C2 as a "bit-perfect" Audio player.

But a real-time kernel can still be very useful on a Linux audio platform. If you need the lowest latencies possible and tight timing (for live MIDI applications for instance) a real-time kernel might still be your best resort. But if you're mainly recording, a standard kernel or an optimized kernel (like the low-latency kernel Ubuntu offers) will suffice probably.
Conventional PCI has a shared bus topology and also suffers from only being able to address a limited number of IRQ's. So besides PCI devices sharing interrupts they could also get into each other's way because of
”lengthy transactions by some devices, due to slow acknowledgments, long data bursts, or some combination, which could cause buffer underrun or overrun in other devices”4). It's successor, PCI-X, suffers less from PCI bus latency because it uses higher bandwidths, but it's still using a shared bus topology unlike the latest PCI standard, PCIe. PCIe is “based on point-to-point topology, with separate serial links connecting every device to the host”5). > >So if you're using conventional PCI sound cards, you might want to consider maximizing the PCI latency timer of the sound card and raising the latency timer of all other PCI peripherals a bit (default is 64). This may sound counter-intuitive but “the PCI latency timer determines how long a device may own the PCI bus for … Therefore, if your system allowed the video interface to hog the PCI bus for a relatively long time, but limited the audio interface to only short periods of bus ownership, then audio performance will suffer. > >The script … resets *all* devices to an acceptable middle-of-the-road timer setting, then specifically allows the audio interfaces to own the bus for even longer.”6)

#!/bin/sh

case $1 in
start)
# "open up" the PCI bus by allowing fairly long bursts for all devices, increasing performance
setpci -v -s "*:*.*" latency_timer=b0

# maximise latency for RME Hammerfall, thus allowing
# more data per PCI transfer and minimizing xruns
setpci -v -s 01:04.0 latency_timer=ff
# ditto for the onboard AC97 audio interface
setpci -v -s 00:07.5 latency_timer=ff
esac

exit 0

Source of the script: http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/l ... 44371.html

Question remains in how far adjusting the PCI latency timer affects performance for PCI-X devices. PCIe doesn't suffer from PCI bus latency because of its different topology. Besides, PCIe devices have their PCI latency timer set to 0 and the setpci command simply doesn't change anything, setting latency_timer=ff on PCIe devices still yields a setting of 0.
See one more link Odroid or Raspberry Pi2 vs PC for audio: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-m ... ndex3.html
best_odroidfreak

Unread postby best_odroidfreak » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:54 pm

End of live kernel 3.14.79.

It looks like the Linux kernel maintainers have decided that there's no need to maintain the Linux kernel 3.14 LTS series anymore, so earlier today, September 11, 2016, they decided to release that last maintenance update, version 3.14.79, and mark the series as EOL (End of Life).
Famous Linux kernel maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman was the one to make the big announcement, and he's urging users who want to still run a long-term supported kernel version to move to the Linux 4.4 LTS series.
best_odroidfreak

Unread postby meveric » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:35 am

meveric

Unread postby best_odroidfreak » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:14 pm

meveric wrote:http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=135&t=23795

see this topic user comments about new kernel viewtopic.php?f=135&t=22717&start=150
best_odroidfreak

Unread postby sash11 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:37 pm

lepniak wrote:Hi everyone!
I am new on this forum. On this week a bought Odroid C2 and install Debian version from @maveric.
Everything is ok. I configured network, user, locale settings, etc. but I stopped when try installing Unifi Controller and Plex Media Server.

When I try install mongodb-* separate:
Code: Select all
root@odroid:~# apt-get install mongodb-10gen
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mongodb-10gen
root@odroid:~# apt-get install mongodb-10gen:armhf
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mongodb-10gen

You can try stretch (testing branch) for arm64 Debian here: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/arm64/apt/download
It has mongodb and all other prereqs. Just edit /etc/apt/sources.list file by adding a line, i.e.
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch main
Then run apt-get update and install the package of your choosing.
Last edited by sash11 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
sash11

Unread postby Kalasnyikov » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:55 am

Hello,

there is a chance to be ready for the new version of Kodi?

Very thank you
Kalasnyikov

ODROIDs: ODROID-C2

Unread postby meveric » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Kalasnyikov wrote:Hello,

there is a chance to be ready for the new version of Kodi?

Very thank you

I only tried compiling it once and that wasn't with much success, the logo came but after that it was only a black screen.
I have to check into it.
meveric

Previous

Return to Other OS